MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   $150 cancellation fee for extended warranty? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/222424-150-cancellation-fee-extended-warranty.html)

MBfan21 12-13-2007 08:32 PM

$150 cancellation fee for extended warranty?

Picked up the car on Saturday. The financial advisor talked me into getting the extended warranty. Went home and thought about it and realized I don't need to get the warranty yet and I still have a year to decide at the current price level. I might trade the car in after a few years anyway. So, first thing Monday morning, I went there and told them I wanted to cancel the warranty.. again they gave me this big speech on why I shouldn't and MB is very expensive for repairs after the limited warranty expires... told them I still was not interested in it and they told me I have to pay them $150 to cancel!! As it was already entered in their system. :smash: They say they have never had a customer sign up for the extended warranty and then cancel it.

Mind you the dealership is closed on Sunday. So it went from Saturday afternoon to picking up the car and then Monday morning to deciding I don't want the warranty and I am charged this fee. They never once mentioned a cancellation fee when I signed up for the warranty.

They still haven't refunded my money. I signed some letter in writing they composed and they gave me a copy... but no actual receipt saying they will refund the money. Just their word. You would think they could just put the money back on my credit card on the spot since they charged it.

blazinginder 12-13-2007 08:54 PM

That's :bs:...you have a certain period after signing the contract to cancel with no penalty...I bought an extended warranty for my acura and the time of purchase and decided 2-2.5 weeks later that I didn't need it, the dealer (if I recall correctly) tried giving me their whole talk as well about how much of a benefit it is etc and eventually said there'd be a fee to which I read them the part in the contract stating the 30(or was it 60) day period which I had to cancel without any fee...I'm pretty sure the same goes for MB warranty contracts, don't they give you a copy of the warranty form etc?...should be on there, if not call up MBUSA

MBfan21 12-13-2007 08:58 PM

They didn't give me a copy of the warranty form. Just the yellow order form with all the options that I purchased. :\

RLE 12-13-2007 09:19 PM

Warranty?

<<Picked up the car on Saturday. The financial advisor talked me into getting the extended warranty. Went home and thought about it and realized I don't need to get the warranty yet and I still have a year to decide at the current price level........big snip.....>>

No copy of the warranty and what it covers? Or doesn't?

Is this another one of those New Jersey dealers? Did the sales guy try to sell you some miracle paint protection also? Was he wearing a checked sport coat, burgundy doubleknit pants, white belt and shoes?

MBfan21 12-13-2007 09:54 PM

Nope no copy of the warranty at all!! Just the credit card receipt. And the yellow receipt with the options I purchased. Yes it is a NJ dealer.

MBfan21 12-13-2007 09:57 PM

They also are going to remove the clear bra and will give me a loaner car and they will have a work order for me. They told me it could take 2 days to remove the bra. I'm like whaaat?!? Don't they charge their labor based on the hours? There's no way it should realistically take 2 days.

blazinginder 12-13-2007 09:57 PM

Which NJ dealer?

Any how call MBUSA and discuss it with them

RLE 12-13-2007 09:57 PM

Warranty contract

<<Nope no copy of the warranty at all!! Just the credit card receipt. And the yellow receipt with the options I purchased. Yes it is a NJ dealer.>>

Suspicions confirmed. Isn't there a legal requirement to provide the buyer of any contract a copy of it? How do you know this shark didn't send your money to the mob? You know who I mean.

MBfan21 12-13-2007 10:10 PM

It was in Paramus, NJ

When I go there next week, I will tell them they never gave me a copy of the contracts. I will get that information. Hopefully they will have my refund check by then.

MBUSA is closed now but so all I could do was call Tele-Aid. They were helpful and told me in many states there is no cancellation fee. She told me I should have a copy of the contract blah blah. They said ask for a copy of the contract and if I am still not happy, to call MB. But right now the dealership is in charge of the refund.

webada 12-13-2007 10:46 PM

bummer, if the "contract" you signed does not state any cancellation fee then I would say you shouldn't be paying for it. I really hope MB headquarter will not hang you out to dry... really puts a dent on consumer confidence if those dealers are not doing it already........

good luck!

chilledbenz 12-13-2007 10:54 PM

Two things here. First one, the dealership most likely has nothing to do with the warranty other than selling it. I would imagine they get a kick back from Benz, but they wouldn't refund your money, it would come as a check from MB. Second one, it could be that MB has nothing to do with the extended warranties, they might be handled by a third party as with a lot of extended warranties. :nix:

stephensong 12-14-2007 12:11 AM

The F&I guy is licensed by The State (he has an insurance license) and the State's insurance department regulates his activity. So contact the NJ department of insurance at: http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/index.html and file a complaint against the dealer. I have helped many consumers with this same issue in Oregon. The results were the dealer paid restitution and was fined. It is free to file the complaint, your taxes have already paid for it.

mbparaguay 12-14-2007 12:20 AM

great information guys!