MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   GLK Estate Killer? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/222792-glk-estate-killer.html)

chilledbenz 12-17-2007 02:01 AM

GLK Estate Killer?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes...ss-future.html

Yes I know this doesn't exactly fit in this thread and yes I know someone already posted a similar link on another thread. If this GLK does bow at the Detroit auto show in January, I think that all but seals the fate of the w204 C class wagon making it stateside. Yes one is an SUV the other is a station wagon, but they both ride on the C class frame, both will have about the same interior room and both will probably be in the same price range. Wouldn't be sound business to offer two cars virtually the same. Not overly concerned here as I already bought a C300 Sport, but this GLK is quite nice looking. Don't think its in full production skin though, those mirrors are way off anything Benz has put out recently, but then again the C mirrors are nothing like anything to date either.

GDawgC220 12-17-2007 09:33 AM

The GLK looks like a jacked up Subaru Forester, IMO.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...k_priddy_2.jpg

http://ebay.windingroad.com/newsuplo...10th-ann-3.jpg

430752 12-17-2007 10:01 AM

ehhh...the offspring of a toyota rav4 anda bmw X3. It leave me cold. Of course, this won't stop it from selling well if MBUSA's marketing people can get it branded a crossover!

gocargo 12-17-2007 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by GDawgC220 (Post 2554779)
The GLK looks like a jacked up Subaru Forester..

Regardless what it looks like, it will have the superior Mercedes refinements, excellent traction control and diesel motor.. all UNLIKE the Subaru Forester. Oh, plus the mercedes smell:D

CarGuru 12-17-2007 10:22 AM

Worst looking MB ever, no thanks.

-Ryan

webada 12-17-2007 10:23 AM

omg, this can't be from the same design team as the w204!!

it looks like someone from the north america team took the w204 and doodle over it....

MBTex 12-17-2007 10:56 AM

No Estate in the US...not anytime soon.

Kieffer 12-17-2007 11:39 AM

I hope it's just that photo (and maybe the white color). But from that photo, this is the ugliest MB ever. And GDawg220 hit it on the head - it looks like a Forester on bad steroids.

webada 12-17-2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MBTex (Post 2554871)
No Estate in the US...not anytime soon.

aren't they talking about next year for the US? look at the license plate: I "heart" nyc1... shooting a commercial for US?

PHYBENZ 12-17-2007 01:35 PM

They are using it on the set of the new "sex in the city movie."

MiKeSSw203 12-17-2007 01:43 PM

I may get it for the misses when the W204 lease is up.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb237/rk6400/GLK.jpg

chilledbenz 12-17-2007 02:54 PM

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2...nocamo7ri2.jpg

I like it, just maybe not in white. Boy does it look like the Subie from the front though, good catch. I will look at this when it comes out, probably spring/summer of 08, if it debuts at Detroit. I'm not sure it will do me well though, I have a ML now and will be looking for a new car around the summer/fall time frame, but this seems too small for my needs. It falls into that BMW X3 model range, BMW has a hard time selling those (although its quite old now) so why MB felt the need to jump into this segment I don't know. :nix:

webada 12-17-2007 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz (Post 2555318)
It falls into that BMW X3 model range, BMW has a hard time selling those (although its quite old now) so why MB felt the need to jump into this segment I don't know. :nix:

Really? didn't know that. This is the trend for this segment tho, audi has their a4 wagon, bmw has x3, infiniti will introduce the EX.......

caddies? we are missing one...

KIRA 12-17-2007 03:20 PM

trust me, it will be good, is a Mercedes-benz anyway, just like when the R-class came out, everyone would say THAT R is truely ugly, but when you get a chance to sit inside... you will feel bad saying is ugly...

chilledbenz 12-17-2007 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Brabus_x2 (Post 2555365)
trust me, it will be good, is a Mercedes-benz anyway, just like when the R-class came out, everyone would say THAT R is truely ugly, but when you get a chance to sit inside... you will feel bad saying is ugly...

Lol hey I'm with you on this, I think my next one will be an R...if its still around. Talking to a salesman about it, current R classes are getting a 10k discount off sticker because of slow or no sales at all. Insider news says it could get the axe instead of getting a model make over (it got updated this year, has the AMG sport package standard, got a M.S.R.P. price drop and is now offered in 2wd to try and help boost sales)

As for my BMW X3 comment, to be fair the X3 was first in this segment, but as mentioned is really old now. It went through some updating this past year, engines, trim lines, colors ect., but I don't think its helped much. I'm sure they are working on something to either update it or take its place, BMW feels there is a market for an X6, I wouldn't think they would let a smaller version die off.

Krytech 12-17-2007 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz (Post 2555318)
It falls into that BMW X3 model range, BMW has a hard time selling those (although its quite old now) so why MB felt the need to jump into this segment I don't know.

That explains why when I was looking at BMW's before I bought the C, they sales person was trying hard to get me to look at the X3. I had to tell him more than a couple times that I already have an SUV and am looking to replace our sedan.

aowhaus 12-17-2007 09:28 PM

good lord that's ugly!!

Doesn't MB have enough SUVs already? ML, GL, G, and you could even say the R-class. With exception of the ML, these SUVs are selling relatively slow.

peabers 12-17-2007 10:02 PM

BMW sells the E91 alongside the E83, so there is no reason to MB cannot sell a W204 Estate next to the X204. The vehicles appeal to a different set of buyers and I don't think there is much overlap.

There are plenty of takers for the E83 here in Canada, who tend to be more pragmatic and go for smaller vehicles. With the Infiniti EX35 coming, along with the VW Tiguan, and Audi Q5, there is no reason to believe that this market is anywhere near saturated. People seem to love these CUVs.

For me, I would rather go for the wagon... but I might be an exception amongst the sea of SUV/CUVs in the mall.

My understanding is that the Canadian dealers are already taking orders for the W204 Estate.

radiance 12-17-2007 10:38 PM

It looks like a Grand Vitara buffed up. lol.
The picture from post #12 of the GLK, it looks alright actaully, =\..I see some resemblence of the BMW X3.

whatup? 12-18-2007 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by peabers (Post 2556035)
BMW sells the E91 alongside the E83, so there is no reason to MB cannot sell a W204 Estate next to the X204. The vehicles appeal to a different set of buyers and I don't think there is much overlap.

There are plenty of takers for the E83 here in Canada, who tend to be more pragmatic and go for smaller vehicles. With the Infiniti EX35 coming, along with the VW Tiguan, and Audi Q5, there is no reason to believe that this market is anywhere near saturated. People seem to love these CUVs.

For me, I would rather go for the wagon... but I might be an exception amongst the sea of SUV/CUVs in the mall.

Agreed - give me [the better-looking, presumably lighter and no less practical] C wagon.

As for CUVs in general - at least it seems I'm not the only one who sees these things for the bloated hopped-up station wagons that they are . . .

peabers 12-18-2007 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by whatup? (Post 2556238)
Agreed - give me [the better-looking, presumably lighter and no less practical] C wagon.

As for CUVs in general - at least it seems I'm not the only one who sees these things for the bloated hopped-up station wagons that they are . . .

I find the CUVs to be the ultimate contradiction. It's got the bulk and high center of gravity like a SUV, and the off-road capability of a stationwagon.

How come people on this forum call AMG-wannabe's posers, but not the CUV drivers? I think those are the ultimate posers.

If I needed a truck, I would get a Geländewagen. But since I don't, I will continue to yearn for the W204 Estate.

iguess 12-19-2007 12:11 AM

i thought the R was ugly, but this takes the cake. I never liked the X3, this is even worse. I have a feeling this car will sell though. Unlike the R, it doesnt look anything like a mini-van. I dont understand why they need this new class. The ML does well, and looks great. I think i would rather have an estate.

Ianbiz 12-19-2007 07:51 PM

whats up with the door panels? :nix:

ffejalink 12-20-2007 12:13 AM

GLK Thread Needed

MOD: Please start a separate thread for the upcoming GLK and move this thread appropriately. Thanks!

chilledbenz 12-20-2007 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by ffejalink (Post 2559793)
MOD: Please start a separate thread for the upcoming GLK and move this thread appropriately. Thanks!

Lol well I started this thread here because it had to do with the C Estate. But as you can see its taken off to be more about the GLK. :nix: