C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

No Memory Seats!! Wait a second....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
Heck it wasn't too long ago that everyone was complaining about MB's not having cup holders in them at all. The reason was that German drivers are actual "drivers" of cars who believe that all of your attention should be on the car and the road, unlike we Americans who like to talk on the phone, eat, drink and do who knows whatever else while we operate, rather than drive, our car.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 AM

2008 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MBTex
I looked at the Infiniti too. What everyone is telling you about the Japanese cars is true to an extent. The Inifiniti, like the Acura, has gadgets and higher hp, but it isn't as nice of a ride as the MB.

Germans build their cars to be cars, therefore they drive well first and have fancy gadgets second. Japanese build there cars to sell, therefore they have flashing lights and hp you can brag about, but they don't drive nearly so well.

I don't race or advocate racing, but the new G37 has 330 hp and will probably beat my 350 off of the line or in the quarter mile. However, in the real world there are curves and traffic to deal with. The MB is much better equipped to handle that then the G37, which is built to go straight.
Thanks MBTex. I feel a little better. Maybe when I actually get to drive around in it, I will forget about all the things that are missing.

Stu
Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Almost a Member!

C300
Originally Posted by Stu in NY
Thanks MBTex. I feel a little better. Maybe when I actually get to drive around in it, I will forget about all the things that are missing.

Stu
Yes, I promise you that you will forget all about them!!!
New C is the kind of car that amaze you more everytime you drive.
You will understand what I mean once you get to drive your car.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:27 PM

None yet - just wishing
I looked at the Infiniti too. What everyone is telling you about the Japanese cars is true to an extent. The Inifiniti, like the Acura, has gadgets and higher hp, but it isn't as nice of a ride as the MB.

Germans build their cars to be cars, therefore they drive well first and have fancy gadgets second. Japanese build there cars to sell, therefore they have flashing lights and hp you can brag about, but they don't drive nearly so well.

I don't race or advocate racing, but the new G37 has 330 hp and will probably beat my 350 off of the line or in the quarter mile. However, in the real world there are curves and traffic to deal with. The MB is much better equipped to handle that then the G37, which is built to go straight.
Having driven an Infinity M35 & G35 back to back with a E350, C300 & C350 (in a span of about 2 hours) I can tell you that the japanese really know how to throw in the toys. The infinities both had stuff that you can't even get on an S class. But the ride (my wife drove, I rode in the back seat to compare the ride), was terrible on the infinities. I'm sorry, but the M35 had the "fluffiest" leather seats and looked like they would be the most comfortable, yet they were the least comfortable. The C class rode (and drove) the best out of the bunch. I wish the germans would toss in all of the bells and whistles, because the Inifiniti had them all and yet were cheaper than the corresponding E & C classes we drove. But after the test drives, I couldn't imagine taking a trip in the back seat of an infiniti, but I could imagine one in the back seat of an E or C class.

Word don't describe the feelings, but the best way we can describe it is the C-Class (and E-Class) both exuded confidence and stability, while the Inifiniti (and the lexus IS350 we test drove during an earlier visit) did not exude that confidence nor did any of them ride to the level of the mercedes.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Can someone tell me why I should buy this car and not a G35x? I was looking into the Infiniti but settled on ordering the MB. Did I make a mistake?

All of this is really amazing! I am speechless.

Stu
If you really need someone to tell you why you should buy this car, then you don't really want it.

For my money a Mercedes always makes me feel like I got my moneys worth every time I shut the door, that solid thud of a sound only found on Mercedes. Yeah the Japanese rivals have all sorts of goodies thrown in, but when I shut the door and it sounds like a tin can, makes me glad I bought the Benz.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350

Stu
No problem. I have a friend that drives an M35 and tried like heck to get me into the Infiniti. It is a very nice car and has some options that I would like to have in my C, but the ride in my C is much nicer than in his M35, especially on curves and hills (which there are a lot of where I live).

I don't intend to slam the Japanese cars (heck I drove an Acura for a while), but there trully is a difference in the way the cars are made. And the difference isn't anything you can see or point at to your buddies that drive Infiniti's, but it is there.

Either that or that chip MB put into my head has finally turned on....
Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 PM

2012 ML350BTC
I don't intend to slam the Japanese cars (heck I drove an Acura for a while), but there trully is a difference in the way the cars are made. And the difference isn't anything you can see or point at to your buddies that drive Infiniti's, but it is there.

Either that or that chip MB put into my head has finally turned on....
Good to see you've finally come over to the dark side.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM

528i, GLK
Heck it wasn't too long ago that everyone was complaining about MB's not having cup holders in them at all. The reason was that German drivers are actual "drivers" of cars who believe that all of your attention should be on the car and the road, unlike we Americans who like to talk on the phone, eat, drink and do who knows whatever else while we operate, rather than drive, our car.
I think the cup holders in euro/uk cars are actually optional on some of the models, its a covered storage bin instead. We get it for free.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:00 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
My standard response to these questions is always this.

Mercedes wanted to bring out a new model at the old models price. So they could have their salesmen point out "look your getting a new model for what the old one cost". To achieve this they had to cut some corners and leave out options that were standard on the w203.
Price for Canadian models don't go up yet we get all these memory seats and keyless go... let's face it Americans got screwed this time.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:00 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by netcruizer99
Having driven an Infinity M35 & G35 back to back with a E350, C300 & C350 (in a span of about 2 hours) I can tell you that the japanese really know how to throw in the toys. The infinities both had stuff that you can't even get on an S class. But the ride (my wife drove, I rode in the back seat to compare the ride), was terrible on the infinities. I'm sorry, but the M35 had the "fluffiest" leather seats and looked like they would be the most comfortable, yet they were the least comfortable. The C class rode (and drove) the best out of the bunch. I wish the germans would toss in all of the bells and whistles, because the Inifiniti had them all and yet were cheaper than the corresponding E & C classes we drove. But after the test drives, I couldn't imagine taking a trip in the back seat of an infiniti, but I could imagine one in the back seat of an E or C class.

Word don't describe the feelings, but the best way we can describe it is the C-Class (and E-Class) both exuded confidence and stability, while the Inifiniti (and the lexus IS350 we test drove during an earlier visit) did not exude that confidence nor did any of them ride to the level of the mercedes.
I drive a BMW 528 now and went back to back test drive of 328i, C300, IS250 and G35.

Yes, I can totally see why BMW is rated amongst the best of sports sedan and why its call a driver's car.

although the G35 has more power and gadets, it felt sluggish and non responsive. The IS is quick, felt more like go kart. 328i, drives the best but rougher ride. the c300 has best balance of comfort and driver oriented engineering.

Goto a Lexus forum, they will tell you the same experience but in otherwise.

Only thing I can say is that everyone's driving habits are different. Car review magazine will drive these cars through cones and curves and hard braking from 60-0mph and tell you which car is the best sports sedan of the year... BUT, in reality you will probably never drive like that. Its funny to watch Edmunds.com's video review of c350 vs 335i and they concluded the review with this comment "utimately, the BMW 335i is the sports sedan you want" Bunch of egoistic editors.... Only you can tell which car fits YOU the best.....

Last edited by webada; 12-18-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by tanktube67
YEA you would spect to have all the options available on the world biggest market "USA" but one more time we got screw
IT"S WHAT IT IS.
Now he is driving to the point.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by QQQ
Price for Canadian models don't go up yet we get all these memory seats and keyless go... let's face it Americans got screwed this time.

and for the first time in my life I'm seeing CND trading .9x to a dollar...
Old 12-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by webada
and for the first time in my life I'm seeing CND trading .9x to a dollar...
The CAD is still up over 30% in the last year or so... and the price of C has not dropped significantly (thank goodness). They can't do it because people who have already leased the cars will end up with some inverted/over-inflated residual value.

As for whether the OP should be buying an Infiniti... I am inclined to say yes because he seems to put a great deal of value on add-on features to the car. If you want the gadgets, the Japanese cannot be beat. They put it in, and get it right (operational/reliable). The G35 is not a bad car at all, and I considered it along with the E90 and IS350 before buying the W204. I wanted the W204 because it was a smaller package dimensionally.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Thanks Krytech. I'm glad someone was able to answer my question instead of telling me to use the Search button.

Ladies and gents, I know about the Search button, but what fun is that? There are plenty of people on, some are friendly and some are rude, but it's all good. If you feel that a topic is brought up too often, just ignore it and go on to the next thread.

Stu
The W204 (and the forum for it) is still very new. How old can the information be? Not only do you get a link to the thread when you search, but you can also look at the dates of the threads and posts. It gets tiring when seeing posts about the same thing over and over again when the same topic might have been covered in great detail in a post only a few posts below (not in this case, but you get my drift).

The W203 forum seems to have a lot of trouble with this. In fact, I think "STFF" gets posted subconsiously by the long time W203 members. My $.02.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 PM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
don't drink the kool-aid

...or what happened in jonestown may befall you too! Seriously, anyone telling you the jap traps are about bells and whistles while the merc is a real drivers car has had too much koolaid. Screw that, the infiniti is a drivers car. So are some of the acuras (nsx anyone? okay, unfair, but the tsx is one hell of a drivers car, front wheeled and all). Jap cars can beat the crap of many kraut kars, take their lunch, and eat it too. The g35x is a very nice car, and also my second choice, and also my albatross in the sense I wonder if the three pointed star got to me unnecessaarily so. It drives nice, has much more power, is smooth, and has all the gadgets and whistles to boot. Contrary to the koolaidersm, the g35x is not about gadgets, and it is not about hp (by the way, since when did the possession or lack of HP cease to factor into whether a car is a driver's car, sure too much hp may be bad, and some cars with less hp can still best a higher hp'd car, but face it that even Gilles Villeneuve in a subaru rs is losing to my grandmother in a subaru wrx), it is a fine car. A damn fine car, and you've gotta question the credentials of anyone who says otherwise. But, it is also simply not quite as good as handling and didn't feel as solid as the w204, in my opinion. Close, but no. (and in no way equal to an accord or malibu that others would have you believe, it is in the same class). So I chose the w204. And I'm pretty sure I made the right choice, but now that I've lived with the w204 for a month or so, I wonder if the 5% or 10% better in handling/solid feeling is worthy compensation for the 25% reduction in power and 20% reduction in features/comforts? In the end, I figured I'd check out what this german hysteria was about, after four more years I may continue with the schnitzel, or swap for some sushi, but at least the lure of the star won't play a factor next go around and pure merits will control.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Almost a Member!

C300
Originally Posted by 430752
...so, I wonder if the 5% or 10% better in handling/solid feeling is worthy compensation for the 25% reduction in power and 20% reduction in features/comforts? ....
I think you missed one more thing. You got "Mercedes" not "Nissan" unless that is not important to you at all.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
All I ask is that they give us the OPTION TO BUY the extra items. I don't mind that they cut out things to keep the base price low.
My list includes memory, parktronic, keyless go, intelligent lights, speedtronic, driver's knee airbag and a 350 engine in the Luxury model.
Well said. I would of paid additional $$$ (albeit weakening dollars) for the opportunity to buy some of the additional features. I think the cars are ok with the packages they have, just toss in some of the 'missing' items ala carte.

At least we have the ability to add a few of the items AM, such as the backup camera, parktronic, ???.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:09 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
G35x

<<Can someone tell me why I should buy this car and not a G35x?>>

Because the G35X is as ugly as the south end of a north bound baboon?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
it is a fine car. A damn fine car, and you've gotta question the credentials of anyone who says otherwise. But, it is also simply not quite as good as handling and didn't feel as solid as the w204, in my opinion. Close, but no.
I may be drinking the kool-aid, but that appears to be just what I've said about the Inifiniti on this and previous threads, so I'm not sure my credentials need to be checked. It was also my second choice.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by RLE

I was seriously considering the G35x as well, and it looks great on paper, but between the front end which does nothing for me and the feel of it while driving, it left me wanting more. Actually I thought it drove rather nice until I drove the 3 series and C Class. Then the bar changed. I think the M has little better looking front end.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:28 PM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
I may be drinking the kool-aid, but that appears to be just what I've said about the Inifiniti on this and previous threads, so I'm not sure my credentials need to be checked. It was also my second choice.
no, sorry if that felt like it was directed towards you. I meant more of those which argue the infiniti is a POS, or a tin can or only in the same class a Ford Taurus. I felt those were unfair and baseless statements from people who thought too highly of the merc. Everyone here who drove both must have felt the merc beat out the infiniti, as we bought the merc, but anyone who doesn't consider the infiniti (or etc.) to be in the same class and very close competitors are misguided.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
no, sorry if that felt like it was directed towards you. I meant more of those which argue the infiniti is a POS, or a tin can or only in the same class a Ford Taurus. I felt those were unfair and baseless statements from people who thought too highly of the merc. Everyone here who drove both must have felt the merc beat out the infiniti, as we bought the merc, but anyone who doesn't consider the infiniti (or etc.) to be in the same class and very close competitors are misguided.
No prob. Must've been that MB chip in my head again....
Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by RLE

lol, never thought G35 was a looker and now that you mentioned it, the rear end does looking kinda like a baboon's....
Old 12-20-2007, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
If your budget is allowing, just change your order to E class. You will get right mirror tilt option (dealer activated), memory seats, parktronic, keyless go and extra power if you select 550. C class is really entry level car and can't compete with others, certainly 335 or A4 can suit you better in this segment. I am not a big fan of Japanese cars, they age quite fast, so only short term lease is working for them.
I disagree with posters who think that weak dollar lose options, simple Benz marketing push people to by E class, unless they are on strict budget and still want Merc badge.

Anyway welcome to the forum and enjoy your car, believe me you won't regret about your pusrchase even with these small misses.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Sorry to disagree about getting an E Class. It would not be "moving up" for me. That may be the way the Montvale "marketing" people feel but it is dead wrong. I'm one who has owned three W211 E Class cars and none of them were as nice to drive as my 2006 C350. Yes, they were more elegant but that is where it all stopped. I had an E500, an E320 CDI and an E 350.
Those who think of the C Class as an "entry level" car are mainly in the US. In Europe it is just a different size Mercedes and you can get many options not offered to us in the US.
I switched from my 06 E350 to an 06 C350 the same day I test drove one. Yes, my C350 had those annoying SBC brakes but it also didn't handle anywhere as well as my C350.
I'm still anxiously waiting to buy a W204 but it must not be decocted with essential options.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No Memory Seats!! Wait a second....