MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Ipod sound quality sucks (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/223349-ipod-sound-quality-sucks.html)

MBfan21 12-20-2007 09:18 PM

Ipod sound quality sucks

Anyone else experience this? It's very low compared to just playing the music from the SDHC card. I know just turn up the volume on the system and the ipod itself. Crappy sound though.

Also another annoying issue I noticed is when the light comes on that your fuel is low.. it won't tell you how many miles you have left in the range. It doesn't list it on the trip screen mode. On the last MB, it would say 12 miles .. now it doesn't say anything while using the reserve fuel tank.

chilledbenz 12-20-2007 10:21 PM

Do you have the ipood kit or are you using the accessory plug? I've used the accessory plug and got the same situation you are, very low and when you change back to normal audio, be sure to adjust the volume again or be prepared to get your ear drums blown.

I've defeated both problems by just burning some mp3's to a cd. The radio in the new C will play mp3's off a disk and I can fit 200 give or take depending on size, on one disk. Yeah its about half of what a 2 gig ipood would hold, but I didn't have to buy the ipood (already have one, but wouldn't have had to buy it if my ML played mp3's off a disk) or a cable, or kit. And to top it off, I can use the scroll wheel to find my files, for example if I want a certain song, try doing that without an ipood kit!

emps 12-20-2007 10:24 PM

You can burn your mp3s to a DVD and get 4.7 gigs worth of songs as well. Read that Dual Layer DVD's also work but haven't tried it myself yet.

chilledbenz 12-20-2007 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by emps (Post 2561377)
You can burn your mp3s to a DVD and get 4.7 gigs worth of songs as well. Read that Dual Layer DVD's also work but haven't tried it myself yet.

Wow, forgot about that. I just have the stock system, but yeah if you have the MM system, 4.7 gigs would give you somewhere around 1300 songs on a regular dvd. If it indeed does play dual layered disks, double that figure.

e1000 12-20-2007 11:54 PM

yeah are you using the iPod integration kit or the AUX input? MB has released an in-line "amp" for the iPod integration kit.

MBfan21 12-21-2007 10:17 AM

I am using the ipod intergration kit they installed. I believe it was factory installed. And I have MM. Also when I have the ipod in and I want to change songs through the steering wheel, I have to push the up button twice before the song changes. Does anyone else's do the same thing? Otherwise perhaps there is a defect in my set up..

I tried burning a DVD+R disc with mp3s and it was unreadable in car! I don't get it. I burned it via Windows explorer. Did you guys burn yours as a music on a dvd or data disc DVD (but music).

e1000 12-21-2007 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MBfan21 (Post 2561981)
I am using the ipod intergration kit they installed. I believe it was factory installed. And I have MM. Also when I have the ipod in and I want to change songs through the steering wheel, I have to push the up button twice before the song changes. Does anyone else's do the same thing? Otherwise perhaps there is a defect in my set up..

I tried burning a DVD+R disc with mp3s and it was unreadable in car! I don't get it. I burned it via Windows explorer. Did you guys burn yours as a music on a dvd or data disc DVD (but music).

that's because the down button goes to the next song. The up button starts the current song over again, or twice to go to the previous song.

The volume control on the iPod shouldn't affect the output volume at all. I belive the integration kit uses the line-out which is not affected by the internal iPod volume control.

I have the part number to a little amp made specifically for the iPod integration kit by MB to address the low volume issue. I'll post it when I get home.

Kieffer 12-21-2007 11:08 AM

I had the same problem. I cured it to some extent by using one of the iPod's EQ settings. For me, the "rock" EQ setting seemed to fill in the blanks - of course, everyone's ears are different, so another setting may sound much better to you. Try and it see what you think.

hebsan 12-21-2007 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a screen on the Trip menu that displays distance to empty. It doesn't say range. It has a picture of a gas pump with the miles left next to it. I've attached a picture of it from the owner's manual.

rb23lb 12-21-2007 03:27 PM

IPOD ADAPTER = WASTE OF MONEY AND VERY POOR SOUND COMPARED TO OTHER SOURCES

BURN DL DVDS IF YOU WANT ALL YOUR MPS'3

I AM BIASED THOUGH AS I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT AN ipod and never will buy any mac product

MBfan21 12-21-2007 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by hebsan (Post 2562217)
There is a screen on the Trip menu that displays distance to empty. It doesn't say range. It has a picture of a gas pump with the miles left next to it. I've attached a picture of it from the owner's manual.

I've seen that screen with the number of miles left.. but when the red light is on, it does not display distance to empty on that screen for me.

Yacht Master 12-21-2007 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by MBfan21 (Post 2561281)
Anyone else experience this? It's very low compared to just playing the music from the SDHC card. I know just turn up the volume on the system and the ipod itself. Crappy sound though.

MBfan21,

This is new to me, can you plug an SD chip in to your Head unit?

And how is your I pod connected ? the AUX in glove box?

MBfan21 12-21-2007 04:52 PM

Yes you can plus your SDHC card into the head unit. You have to buy a San Disk 6 in 1 adapter (make sure it supports SDHC) and an SDHC card. Best Buy sells them. You insert it into the PMCIA slot on dash board. So plug your adapter and card into the dash board in the PMCIA slot and it will play the songs that you have uploaded to the card. What is better is that it lists the songs on the screen.

My Ipod is connected via the glove compartment. I have the MB Ipod intergration kit.

Yacht Master 12-21-2007 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MBfan21 (Post 2562641)
Yes you can plus your SDHC card into the head unit. You have to buy a San Disk 6 in 1 adapter (make sure it supports SDHC) and an SDHC card. Best Buy sells them. You insert it into the PMCIA slot on dash board. So plug your adapter and card into the dash board in the PMCIA slot and it will play the songs that you have uploaded to the card. What is better is that it lists the songs on the screen.

My Ipod is connected via the glove compartment. I have the MB Ipod intergration kit.

Sweet, I did not know that, You might be interested in this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-5-GB-PCM...QQcmdZViewItem

they are pretty cheap now.

Did you save your I-Pod files @96 bps or 128 bps most of mine are at 128 or better and the sound is almost = CD but I don't have the integration. I have a 80 Gig classic W/vid and the wife likes to watch her TV shows on trips, (so she is in control of the I pod) I just listen:nix:

MBfan21 12-21-2007 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Yacht Master (Post 2562695)
Sweet, I did not know that, You might be interested in this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-5-GB-PCM...QQcmdZViewItem

they are pretty cheap now.

Did you save your I-Pod files @96 bps or 128 bps most of mine are at 128 or better and the sound is almost = CD but I don't have the integration. I have a 80 Gig classic W/vid and the wife likes to watch her TV shows on trips, (so she is in control of the I pod) I just listen:nix:

I save them at 128 or higher. I still am using the mini ipod. I had 2 80 GB classics but both went back because they gave problems. I'm planning on trying again with a classic and hope I will get one that doesn't crash this time.
As far as the PMCIA hard drive.. that sounds pretty cool but not sure if that requires taking apart the interface... I'm not sure if that can be plugged in via the slot.

e1000 12-21-2007 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 2562519)
IPOD ADAPTER = WASTE OF MONEY AND VERY POOR SOUND COMPARED TO OTHER SOURCES

BURN DL DVDS IF YOU WANT ALL YOUR MPS'3

I AM BIASED THOUGH AS I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT AN ipod and never will buy any mac product

:confused:

anyway, the part you want is 204-870-39-94

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....24&postcount=4

tanktube67 12-22-2007 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MBfan21 (Post 2561281)

Also another annoying issue I noticed is when the light comes on that your fuel is low.. it won't tell you how many miles you have left in the range. It doesn't list it on the trip screen mode. On the last MB, it would say 12 miles .. now it doesn't say anything while using the reserve fuel tank.

set your Ipod EQ, to pop setting it may help

AkaSigFreak 12-30-2007 12:14 AM

I just had my MB integration kit installed and it sounds Great! Level is fine and clarity is outstanding. As far as EQ settings- I'm not sure about the MB kit but when I used to have my Alpine with Ipod adapter- EQ settings were cancelled out. I have mine set Flat and have had no problems. I did notice an additional part the dealership had when they were installing my kit. Could this have been the "amplifier" referred to earlier?

hanz 12-30-2007 08:08 AM

i have my c for 2 weeks now. noted also the ipod vol is much lower than the cd and tuner. hope the workshop computer can adjust the ipod gain to match. rgds, hanz.

mac911 01-01-2008 01:54 AM

Wow. This stinks. One of the features I was really looking forward to.

aowhaus 01-01-2008 02:56 PM

I had the iPod integration kit along with the extra amplifier installed.
I would say it is one of the best options I had installed as I constantly flip through various songs and playlist.

The sound quality is very good, but there is still a volume level difference between the iPod and the radio not as bad as without the extra amp, but it's much better for others I've listened to. It's a very minor thing I could live with.

achu717 01-01-2008 06:47 PM

I had the MM pkg, Ipod integration, it sounded good as it should.

red309 01-01-2008 11:55 PM

Does this "Amp Kit" require installation by the dealer or can I simply get the part and plug it in myself? And how much is this kit?

hanz 01-03-2008 08:19 AM

i do agree with aowhaus. apart from the sound level, my system sounds great. i don't hv the MM package but did put in the factory HK sound upgrade that typically have more and better speakers than the standard plus a 400+ watt amp.

i also connect a 80g ipod video and use "apple lossless" conversion of my CDs to ensure optimum sound.

AMG BRED 01-04-2008 09:07 AM

my mom has the ipod integration kit in her glove box and the sound is horrible. I have the ipod integration kit in my 335i and it sounds 1000x better. I get alot of static in the MB when listening to songs via ipod. what is this "in-line" amp that's available from MB? shouldn't that have come with the kit?