MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Why buy C300 and then mod it? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/224298-why-buy-c300-then-mod.html)

stephensong 12-29-2007 11:37 AM

Why buy C300 and then mod it?

The price difference between the C300 Sport and the C350 is $2460 (see MBUSA website) when the vehicles are built so that the C300 is equal to the C350 i.e., same paint, 7 speed, and P1. There are no mods at $2460 that can bring the C300 up to the same performance level as the C350. So why not buy the C350? I am only speaking about the US market and 2wd.

AsianML 12-29-2007 12:12 PM

If looks are what you go for and you could care less about speed, get the C300 and use the $2460 difference for some nice mods. :nix:

ora12 12-29-2007 12:33 PM

Well I can speak for many of the Northeast consumers in the US and one of the main reasons is that we don't get the C350 in 4matic. This simple technology makes a huge difference in rain and snow for us so it's not exactly by choice, but by what is available.

oblu 12-29-2007 03:31 PM

Age old question in the realm of german cars where you have the choice of two engines.

Most times 'mods' aren't about performance. In the realm of all show no go, why not spend the least amount up front so you have money left over for suspension/wheels/body kits/big speakers, etc. If all you're doing is cruising, the base engine is more than adequate.

Don't forget, in most cases it's the base motor that's the lease special too making it even more attractive. Lots of people mod their leased cars and then return them to stock when it's time to turn them in.

Modding a NA car for performance is pointless anyway. Now, in the case of Audi where you have the choice of a 1.8T/2.0T as the base engine and a 3.0/3.2 VR6 as the upgrade engine, buying low is beneficial. Modding a blown motor gets you fantastic gains for very little money. And it weights less.

narky 12-29-2007 05:16 PM

For me, a Northern California driver who rarely sees heavy rain (and never snow), AWD didn't matter. I actually prefer RWD. The deal cincher for me was the availability of manual transmission.

I'm the kinda guy who believes that the merge between man and machine is ONLY possible with three pedals and a manually operated gearbox. :crazy: F1-style paddles just don't give me that same tactile satisfaction.

Initially, I completely disregarded M-B cars in general for their lack of manual transmission available on stronger engines. But then I saw a picture of the panorama roof on Arctic White (:eek:), which made me briefly forget my everlasting quest for performance.

My car is coming in mid-January -- see signature for description. I kinda wanted the MM package as well, but the deal offered on this particular car was pretty much once-in-a-lifetime. I'm excited! :zoom:

Stiggs 12-30-2007 06:18 PM

4Matic

PoaMike 12-30-2007 11:07 PM

Because when I wanted the car no 350 had MM... and Im not one for waiting... I have Tickets to prove it lol.

430752 01-01-2008 11:51 PM

4matic +1, the only way could get this thing awd. Wish audi had brought the b8 sooner!

Originally Posted by oblu (Post 2572311)
Modding a NA car for performance is pointless anyway. Now, in the case of Audi where you have the choice of a 1.8T/2.0T as the base engine and a 3.0/3.2 VR6 as the upgrade engine, buying low is beneficial. Modding a blown motor gets you fantastic gains for very little money. And it weights less.

Agree that the forced induction is the way to go, but gotta disagree that modding a NA car is pointless. I just got out of a 2002 ford foucs, modded. Don't laugh, I had to buy american for my job and it fit (barely width wise) in my circa 1920's garage. I recently quit that job and got a merc awd (which also fits, as does other awd cars such as the audi and subaru and infiniti, but not the bmw, lexus, and others). Anyway, at about 2700 pounds, 5 door hatch, leather, sunroof, 2.0l engine, and born of european stock rally winning chassis (it wasn't until 2004 that ford messed with the euro focus brought to the USA), it provided a nice base. From that, add that a cold air intake, racing cams, street header, hi-flo cat, and full 2.25" cat back exhaust plus flex pipe, together with a chip, and a manual tranny, and the little thing flew! And it passed emmissions! Probably the quickest car I've ever owned, faster than this merc pig of a car, and a total sleeper. I kept the exterior bone stock so never got a ticket. I never tired of racing mercs, acuras, bmw's, etc. Catch them on the highway, with an auto tranny, and they never had a chance! Had to stay away from the M's or AMG's, sure, but rarely lost to a stock anything with less than 8 cylinders, and even then often won where 8 cylinders are usually put on 4000+ pound cars! So that's why I modded an NA car. (of course, she rode light and thus was white knuckle at anything over 90mph, and with 16" low-pros it rode above the snow, so she had to be replaced for a stable-at-spped, AWD brick called the Merc c300sport 4matic - hey, if you can't go fast you can look like you go fast!)

oblu 01-02-2008 12:16 AM

From that, add that a cold air intake, racing cams, street header, hi-flo cat, and full 2.25" cat back exhaust plus flex pipe, together with a chip, and a manual tranny, and the little thing flew!
Okay, let me rephrase that ... instead of 'pointless' substitute 'outrageously expensive for any appreciable gains'. Aftermarket parts for german cars are expensive. I can only guess that the parts alone that you list for a german make would run 5k+. I know when I was putting some thoughts into an intake and exhaust for my BMW it was going to run me almost 2k for the stuff I wanted. And it would've net me maybe 10hp. Maybe The cheapest centri supercharger kit was 7k.

Not nearly as effective as throwing a $700 ECU reprogram on a FI car for 60+hp.

silence 01-02-2008 01:37 AM

it's cheap to mod german cars if you are smart enough to do things custom... i don't have a clue who pays for the mods from those tuners etc.

i am going to build a 500 hp (flywheel) c43 for the cost of renntech intake, headers, and exhaust...

narky 01-02-2008 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by silence (Post 2576659)
it's cheap to mod german cars if you are smart enough to do things custom...

I'm totally new to German cars. I went American > Japanese > German as did everyone else on this forum, it seems. C300 is my first German.

I spent the most time messing with Japanese cars, so I know nothing about German cars. Any ideas, directions, clues, plans, suggestions? In your opinion, what course should I take for pure performance and driving enjoyment? And I don't mean handling -- I think I got that handled; I mean in terms of power w/o spending 30Gs for AMG/Brabus engines. I don't think that's a very good cost/performance ratio and I don't give a **** about AMG badging. I like sleepers.

Though I'd still appreciate handling help as well. (If you want Japanese upgrades, I'm the man.)

I'm taking delivery in January of a C300 Sport manual.

aansonsit 01-02-2008 05:00 AM

hohoho!!! my C350 4 Matic is perfect now!! both

cheers Canadian

Stiggs 01-02-2008 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by aansonsit (Post 2576773)
hohoho!!! my C350 4 Matic is perfect now!! both

cheers Canadian

Damn Canadians.:slap:

AsianML 01-02-2008 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by narky (Post 2576754)
I'm totally new to German cars. I went American > Japanese > German as did everyone else on this forum, it seems. C300 is my first German.

I spent the most time messing with Japanese cars, so I know nothing about German cars. Any ideas, directions, clues, plans, suggestions? In your opinion, what course should I take for pure performance and driving enjoyment? And I don't mean handling -- I think I got that handled; I mean in terms of power w/o spending 30Gs for AMG/Brabus engines. I don't think that's a very good cost/performance ratio and I don't give a **** about AMG badging. I like sleepers.

Though I'd still appreciate handling help as well. (If you want Japanese upgrades, I'm the man.)

I'm taking delivery in January of a C300 Sport manual.

I see you're in the Bay Area, but it might be worth it just to call Harbor Motorsports for some advice (they're in Santa Ana).
http://harbormotorsports.com/

You can also ask for their advice at mymbonline.com where they post quite often.

AMGJared 01-02-2008 02:14 PM

4MATIC and manual transmission.

430752 01-02-2008 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by oblu (Post 2576573)
Okay, let me rephrase that ... instead of 'pointless' substitute 'outrageously expensive for any appreciable gains'. Aftermarket parts for german cars are expensive. I can only guess that the parts alone that you list for a german make would run 5k+. I know when I was putting some thoughts into an intake and exhaust for my BMW it was going to run me almost 2k for the stuff I wanted. And it would've net me maybe 10hp. Maybe The cheapest centri supercharger kit was 7k.

Not nearly as effective as throwing a $700 ECU reprogram on a FI car for 60+hp.

yeah, hadn't thought of the german price increase! My stuff, altogther, was at most $2K, with me doing the wrenching (not too bad if you do the cams, header and cat all at once since they're all connected in a way). The AEM cold air intake was only $100-150 IIRC, but you're right that on a Kraut Kar it would be $500! I think it is the german factor, where any mod on any other car is doubled or tripled for these cars. Still, I think anyone with a c300 wishes for some mods to make it go a bit quicker.

RLE 01-02-2008 10:19 PM

Mods in Cal?

<<I spent the most time messing with Japanese cars, so I know nothing about German cars. Any ideas, directions, clues, plans, suggestions? In your opinion, what course should I take for pure performance and driving enjoyment? And I don't mean handling -- I think I got that handled; I mean in terms of power w/o spending 30Gs for AMG/Brabus engines.>>

Living in California as you do, I'm sure you know that CARB's rules controlling emission system mods will prevent you from doing much. And then there is the MB warranty to consider.

Shake 01-03-2008 12:32 AM

I would mod only for cosmetics. :nix:

sdsilverm3 01-03-2008 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2578035)
Living in California as you do, I'm sure you know that CARB's rules controlling emission system mods will prevent you from doing much. And then there is the MB warranty to consider.

The CARB legality factor only plays a part when you have to smog the car or if you get the hood popped.The chances of the authorities popping the hood of a modded Mercedes is very slim. If they do you must have pissed them off pretty good. Being that the OP is the original owner of a brand new W204, the CARB legality factor will not come into play many years down the road (6 year rule).

The Mercedes warranty is what you should really worry about.

peabers 01-03-2008 08:33 AM

Living in Canada, I got the best of both worlds... C350 and 4Matic. :wootrock:

But before you American guys and gals jump all over me, consider this: It's 1oF today, and my car is crusted under 4" of snow.

Trade-off, I suppose.

Seriously though, I've always been of the school that I buy the most car I can with my budget, rather than leave money over for the mods. I may consider getting a sport exhaust on the Merc this time around (but I said that for my Integra, IS300, and TL as well).

I was disappointed that MB dropped the manual transmission for the 3.5L ...I guess it's a factor of being overshadowed by the US market forces on this continent.... but I am happy enough with the 7G. And that was not enough of a reason for me to get the C300.

Hotbeast 08-12-2014 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by AsianML (Post 2572083)
If looks are what you go for and you could care less about speed, get the C300 and use the $2460 difference for some nice mods. :nix:

I AGREE 100%!

MDMercedesGuy 08-12-2014 10:10 AM

Holy old thread resurrection batman...