C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

I can see swirling ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
I can see swirling ...

I can see some swirling marks on my W204. I have been a pretty carful car-washer so I wonder how much more I should be carefule when wash my car. Even though I forgot mentioning the service staff at my dealership not to wash my car after the first service,I am suspicious that just one machine wash has made those swirlings - they are not conspicuous but can be seen under the direct light.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 AM

MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
Originally Posted by MondayQB
I can see some swirling marks on my W204. I have been a pretty carful car-washer so I wonder how much more I should be carefule when wash my car. Even though I forgot mentioning the service staff at my dealership not to wash my car after the first service,I am suspicious that just one machine wash has made those swirlings - they are not conspicuous but can be seen under the direct light.
when you look at it too much you start noticing too much lol.

swirls are almost impossible to avoid...you will eventually get them. just keep your car clean and use a good wax...and every once in a while get the scratches buffed out with a reputable detailer.

btw, what material are you using to dry your car when you wash...i know i get a lot of swirls from chamois. i have since switched to microfiber and it makes a whole world of difference.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Had mine washed at the dealer twice now and no problems. They hand wash it though. I will be putting a fresh coat of wax on probably this weekend.

It actually is amazing to see the car come back from being washed since the rear rims are so clean. Then a few days later they are full of brake dust again whereas the front rims still look good.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 AM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by itcrashed
when you look at it too much you start noticing too much lol.

swirls are almost impossible to avoid...you will eventually get them. just keep your car clean and use a good wax...and every once in a while get the scratches buffed out with a reputable detailer.

btw, what material are you using to dry your car when you wash...i know i get a lot of swirls from chamois. i have since switched to microfiber and it makes a whole world of difference.
I have been using "absorber." It looks like chamois but absorbs water much more than chamois. Do you think it has been drawing lines on the black canvas?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:12 AM

2008 C300 4Matic Sport 2007 Acura MDX
Use a microfiber mitt when you shampoo your car off and use the two bucket method. One with soap, and one that you rinse the mitt in. If you don't rinse your mitt off you are essentially using your mitt or other cleaning device as sandpaper rubbing it all onto your paint. Also, make sure you don't go cheap on your shampoo as that is what lubricates the particles you're trying to remove.

When drying, use a waffle weave towel and dab the car dry, don't wipe back and forth. If you think you have too much water on the car to dab it, 'sheet' the water on your car by taking the nozzle off the hose and 'sheet' the water off.

If you want to keep your car swirl free, it takes effort and good quality products. Other than trying to do it yourself, go to a good detailer regularly. Our MB's have nano clear coat and will need more abrasive polish to remove swirls, make sure your detailer is aware of that. MB uses Menzerna polishes from the factory and are available through online retailers if you want to do it yourself with a Porter Cable 7424 Orbital buffer which is very easy to use and idiot proof. You have to be really bad to damage your paint using a PC7424.

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/
Good link to some good techniques.

Last edited by emps; 01-03-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by MondayQB
Lol you bought the flat black and expected to not see swirls?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:37 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Lol you bought the flat black and expected to not see swirls?
we should be nice to fellow new members.... maybe its his/her first car and does not realize black is the hardest color to keep clean....

I was "arguing" with someone who claims white is the hardest color to keep clean and he doesn't even drive.......

go figures