MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   MB Tex OR Leather? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/225814-mb-tex-leather.html)

eXists 01-10-2008 09:03 AM

MB Tex OR Leather?

Was wondering which is best since I have a 4 yr old. At first, I was defaulting to Leather but after reading a bit, might have to go with MBTex. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Kieffer 01-10-2008 10:52 AM

Before I ordered my car, I was hell-bent on avoiding the MB Tex. After looking at a black tex interior and realizing that I wouldn't have to obsess over conditioning the leather (I live in a DRY climate), watching the "petina" appear over the months, etc., I ordered the tex. I can't remember the last time I had a car without leather. But I don't regret omitting leather on my order sheet. If I were you, I wouldn't think twice about getting the tex interior. Save the money and save the headache the first time a sticky drink gets spilled in the back seat!

peabers 01-10-2008 11:21 AM

I have a one year old at home and didn't hesitate a single bit in ordering the MB Tex. With the car seat and the the mess he makes, I would not be happy cleaning up the leather seats.

eXists 01-10-2008 11:31 AM

Cool, thx a lot for the feedback guys! Will probably go with MB Tex then.

mac911 01-10-2008 12:00 PM

The MB Tex is really quite nice. I say, save $1500, save some cows, save some work (maintaining), etc. etc.

Stick Girl 01-10-2008 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mac911 (Post 2591133)
The MB Tex is really quite nice. I say, save $1500, save some cows, save some work (maintaining), etc. etc.

+++10000

I had leather in the last 3 cars because I always thought that was the pinnacle of elegance. :crazy: What is did to me was gave me bad headaches for the first few months because of the chemical smell of the leather. I had to drive around with the windows down or with the sunroof pulled back to stand it until the headaches or the smell left. With mbtex, I didn't have this problem at all. For me, I was able to enjoying the car from day 1. Not to mention, I don't have the stress of my kid dropping something on them!

chilledbenz 01-10-2008 03:19 PM

This question always pops up on here and I guess everyone has their own choice, but more often than not people go with the MBTex for the simple reason you can't really tell the two apart. Honestly if Benz didn't tell you it was MBTex you wouldn't know the difference. Plus when you order the leather package, only the inserts are leather (the parts you touch), the rest is MBTex.

Untertürkheim 01-10-2008 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz (Post 2591451)
This question always pops up on here and I guess everyone has their own choice, but more often than not people go with the MBTex for the simple reason you can't really tell the two apart. Honestly if Benz didn't tell you it was MBTex you wouldn't know the difference.

I seriously disagree, MB-tex may look good, but it feels and smells like vinyl. I had MB tex in a car once (after being told how great it is, identical to leather etc.), that was the first and last time for me. The first time you drive with shorts or a short sleeve shirt and rest your arm/leg on the vinyl, you will know immediately. It just gets worse with long trips or hot weather.

Jorg 01-10-2008 04:27 PM

I have had both and I can tell you if you are a perfectionist and like it when you car just looks perfect, MB Tex is for you, since after years of use it looks like the first day you got the car. Leather, being organic will show wear.

I always admire the German Taxis, even with 1 Million KM on the odometer the seats look like new.

Yes the car does not have the "leather smell".

Jorg

Savage c-300 01-10-2008 05:05 PM

MB Tex is the way to go unless you really love leather. i love how i dont have to worry soo much about it.

W0n6_3d4n 01-10-2008 06:24 PM

The leather that comes with the new C is pretty good, nicely textured means it doesn't get 'patch up' too much. I use to dislike the leather on the older Benz, but time has changed.

Krytech 01-10-2008 09:03 PM

I struggled with this as well but finally decided to go with the mbtex. Having two kids, it was probably a good decision. Other than the smell, I couldn't really tell the difference at the dealer. Our last couple cars have had leather, and leather does clean up ok from the kids mess, but it also shows signs of wear rather quickly. I read on another forum that MB uses relatively inexpensive leather in the C Class cars. But, I do like the stitching on the actual leather.

Derspeed 01-10-2008 09:39 PM

I got the MB Tex in mine. Having had leather in all of prior vehicles, I decided to go with something that doesn't require the maintenance. I like it a lot.

2000c230sport 01-10-2008 11:19 PM

I have my original car still as a back up, 1985 190e with MB-tex. Survived 20 years in the Florida sun and not a tear, crease, or hole. Outlasted the actual spring and foam supports.

Savage c-300 01-10-2008 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2000c230sport (Post 2592189)
I have my original car still as a back up, 1985 190e with MB-tex. Survived 20 years in the Florida sun and not a tear, crease, or hole. Outlasted the actual spring and foam supports.

if that quote doesnt sell you on mbtex i dont know what will!!! :y:bow:

aowhaus 01-11-2008 01:33 AM

Mercedes and you could also say BMW make the best vinyl materials in the industry for decades now.

I have friends who hated the leather on earlier models in the 90's as the smell was overbearing and nausiating, but luckily recent models don't have that problem.
MB-tex will age so much better and have less maintanence issues than leather. It's also more practical if you have dogs or kids. The MB-tex is more convincing than some of the real leather surfaces out there.

Rick Hunter 01-11-2008 02:00 AM

So far I haven't regretted getting MB-Tex. I have to get used to the fact that this $40k car doesn't have leather seats... but the material has got all my friends fooled. I don't even have to lie. :)

thaihula 01-11-2008 02:27 AM

I'm wondering.....if there's no extra charge for leather, would anyone still choose mb-tex...

wingless 01-11-2008 05:20 AM

My preference would be fabric, but that is not offered in the US. I chose the leather and after +100K miles am satisfied with that choice.

AMGTestDriverNJ 01-11-2008 05:28 AM

Can somebody post a side by side comparison of the MB tex seats vs the real leather? I'm just curious....

AkaSigFreak 01-11-2008 07:14 AM

I have had plenty of vehicles with leather. I don't miss it. I opted for MB Tex after seeing "synthetic leather" in older BMW's and the newer Volkswagen Passats. You can't tell the difference (except they look brand new years later). They are also incredibly easy to care for (wipe with damp cloth and that's it)

tanktube67 01-11-2008 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by eXists (Post 2590917)
Was wondering which is best since I have a 4 yr old. At first, I was defaulting to Leather but after reading a bit, might have to go with MBTex. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Leather of course, :)

430752 01-11-2008 10:16 AM

are there two kinds of leather out there?

I'm curious of there are two kinds of cows out there or something after reading everyone's horror stories about leather??? Smells, tears, wears, wrinkles, can't clean, coloring wears off, it eats your homework, its sadomasochistic, etc.????

I've owned 5 cars with leather, none of them german, but two of them Scandanavian, two japanese, one Yankee, and for each the leather never smelled, it held up well, cleaned up easily , it didn't rip, the coloring agent never rubbed off. The only thing it did was looked nice and, yes, developed creases/wrinkles as you would expect leather to do as it wears.

I'm not saying here that leather is better or worse than MB Tex (okay, I think leather is better even though I bought MB Tex), what I'm trying to say is that either German leather sucks or the prior posters here have had some abnormally bad experiences with leather!:nix:

Stick Girl 01-11-2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 430752 (Post 2592621)
I'm curious of there are two kinds of cows out there or something after reading everyone's horror stories about leather??? Smells, tears, wears, wrinkles, can't clean, coloring wears off, it eats your homework, its sadomasochistic, etc.????

I've owned 5 cars with leather, none of them german, but two of them Scandanavian, two japanese, one Yankee, and for each the leather never smelled, it held up well, cleaned up easily , it didn't rip, the coloring agent never rubbed off. The only thing it did was looked nice and, yes, developed creases/wrinkles as you would expect leather to do as it wears.

I'm not saying here that leather is better or worse than MB Tex (okay, I think leather is better even though I bought MB Tex), what I'm trying to say is that either German leather sucks or the prior posters here have had some abnormally bad experiences with leather!:nix:

Let me be clear, I was relating *MY* experience with leather. Other than the chemical smell that I had to overcome, I really do like leather, but it was quite nice that there was a suitable substitute. Some noses are more sensitive than others. :D

webada 01-11-2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 430752 (Post 2592621)

you are actually correct, well half right atleast. It has to do with different layer and parts of the cow that provides the leather. This makes up the leather with different grain. Different process also dictates how "fine" the leather will be. Think of as leather jacket at different price range and different "softness"

You will often fine that the finer and softer leather is, the more subjectable it is to environment tarnish and hence more maint. on your part.

Cheaper leather are usually the rougher leather that required sanding to make it smooth but also outlasts the finer leather grade.

my sister's nissan pathfinder has leather, didn't feel as nice as my bmw but it held up much better after years.