MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Seatbelt recall (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/227964-seatbelt-recall.html)

Bokx_350 01-25-2008 07:16 AM

Seatbelt recall

I just picked up my car yesterday from the dealer. It was being detailed (due to some snow stains on the hood). They also replaced my two front seatbelts due to a recall. They didn’t provide any information on why there was a recall in the first place. Any knows what this is about?

Star & Laurel 01-25-2008 08:43 AM

I thought it was the rear two seat belts that were getting the recall and was done a while ago. Just ask the dealer to see the recall sheet.

430752 01-25-2008 09:27 AM

Rear Only

the NHTSA (USA) continues to list only one recall (!!!) for the 2008 Merc C-Class and that is the rear outboard seatbelts indicated in at leaast one prior thread. Cruise the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website for further details

Of course, if its an NHTSA recall it usually means it is bad or the Mfr was too blind or too cheap to fix it before the feds got involved. Thus, there may an internal "recall" that MB is trying to fix before cars leave the facilities - like a Technical Service Bulletein (TSB). Doubt it, but maybe.

Still, only recall in the first three months of a brand new car 7 years in the making is great....for a Yugo or a Kia!!!:rolf:

mac911 01-25-2008 11:21 AM

Got my car first week of the year. Was the recall before then? It was probably fixed before I got it?

Star & Laurel 01-25-2008 11:22 AM

All "Recalls" are published through NHTSA. Service campaigns are voluntary on the manufacturer side and do not have to be reported, and sometimes aren't even notified to the customer unless they come in for service all depending on severity.

But basically if it is a safety issue the action is a Recall and is reported to NHTSA that way the general public will know and can research their car if by chance they aren't notified via manufacturer.

MBTex 01-25-2008 12:21 PM

There was discussion on this a few months ago. There was a recall but it is something that the dealers are taking care of before they deliver the cars. No worries...

stephensong 01-25-2008 07:24 PM

Passenger seat outer seat belts, something to do with child safety seat hook up. Anyway they did it in a few minutes 30 I think.

MB Fanatic 01-25-2008 07:27 PM

It could be a TSB and not a recall per say.

RLE 01-25-2008 10:40 PM

Recall notice

<<All "Recalls" are published through NHTSA. Service campaigns are voluntary on the manufacturer side and do not have to be reported, and sometimes aren't even notified to the customer unless they come in for service all depending on severity. But basically if it is a safety issue the action is a Recall and is reported to NHTSA that way the general public will know and can research their car if by chance they aren't notified via manufacturer>>

If there is a genuine recall on YOUR car, you will get a letter from MBUSA describing it and what you should do. They know the VIN ranges affected and if your car is involved. Updates and service bulletin items (non-essential) are handled when you bring your car in for service. Or, you could just ask.

You don't have to research this yourself.

chilledbenz 01-25-2008 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic (Post 2618035)
It could be a TSB and not a recall per say.

+1

There will be hundreds of TSB's for this car, same with all MB's. Some will be minor like replacing a screw to a trim piece, while others will be something major like dropping the trans to put on a new seal or something crazy. If you don't look at your service sheets when you get your car back you would never know as they don't make them common knowledge. I always look through to see what they did and even I'm surprized sometimes as to what work they did without me even complaining. (on my ML mind you, haven't had the C in yet)

mac911 01-27-2008 02:02 AM

I was sitting in the back seat of my car today, and the belt kept locking up while cornering. Doesn't do it in the front. Oh well.

itcrashed 01-27-2008 09:35 AM

Make : MERCEDES BENZ Model : C-CLASS Year : 2008
Manufacturer : MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC. Mfr's Report Date : OCT 01, 2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V465000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: SEAT BELTS:REAR
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 5823
Summary:
CERTAIN VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH SOME OF THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 208, "OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION." THE REAR OUTBOARD SEAT BELTS DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE LAP-BELT LOCKABILITY REQUIREMENT WHICH ENABLES THE LAP BELT PORTION OF THE BELT TO BE LOCKED BY THE USER TO FACILITATE THE USE OF OLDER NON-LATCH DESIGN CHILD RESTRAINT DEVICES.
Consequence:
UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, THIS SITUATION MAY CAUSE THE LOCKING MECHANISM NOT TO PERFORM AS REQUIRED BY THE STANDARD FOR USE WITH OLDER NON-LATCH CHILD RESTRAINTS.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE ALL POTENTIALLY AFFECTED SEAT BELTS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Seems like only 5823 cars are affected...so not everyone will get a letter...probably just the first batch to roll of the assembly line. From the sounds of it, is sounds like they just need to add a manual locking mechanism. No biggie, unless you have a child seat back there.

Stiggs 01-27-2008 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bokx_350 (Post 2616921)
I just picked up my car yesterday from the dealer. It was being detailed (due to some snow stains on the hood). They also replaced my two front seatbelts due to a recall. They didn’t provide any information on why there was a recall in the first place. Any knows what this is about?

I wanna know what snow stains are?:nix:

chilledbenz 01-27-2008 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stiggs (Post 2620663)
I wanna know what snow stains are?:nix:

Don't eat the yellow stained snow.