MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Rear Window taillamp question (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/229279-rear-window-taillamp-question.html)

syrAMG 02-03-2008 11:36 AM

Rear Window taillamp question

Hey everyone

I was just on the George Washington Bridge (NJ bound) yesterday
and drove by a silver C300 W204.

I noticed that her taillamp (on the rear window) was
located on the top of the window,
opposed to the bottom near the trunk on most W204 I've seen.

the car seems to be stock and the girl driving it (sorry if your reading this)
seems like a person who would buy the car as-is and not play around with it.

I wanted to know if any of your cars are like that? and if so was it a stardard
or did you request some kind of package or add-on option to that feature?
maybe a EU spec?

I drove by the car a couple times due to traffic
it was a silver sport version, no-pan roof, standard tyres.
basically if she didnt hit the brakes it seemed like an ordinary W204s

it was a small difference but it looked right in visual proportion.

CarGuru 02-04-2008 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by syrAMG (Post 2633456)
Hey everyone

I was just on the George Washington Bridge (NJ bound) yesterday
and drove by a silver C300 W204.

I noticed that her taillamp (on the rear window) was
located on the top of the window,
opposed to the bottom near the trunk on most W204 I've seen.

the car seems to be stock and the girl driving it (sorry if your reading this)
seems like a person who would buy the car as-is and not play around with it.

I wanted to know if any of your cars are like that? and if so was it a stardard
or did you request some kind of package or add-on option to that feature?
maybe a EU spec?

I drove by the car a couple times due to traffic
it was a silver sport version, no-pan roof, standard tyres.
basically if she didnt hit the brakes it seemed like an ordinary W204s

it was a small difference but it looked right in visual proportion.

I'm not sure if this helps but all the W204's I've seen here, the CHMSL is located at the lower portion of the glass and is quite bright if you are directly behind one. I would think she had it moved there or something. Looks like the part is molded into the rear package tray and designed specifically for that area so it's not like it can just be moved. Are you sure you didn't mistake it for an Audi or E90 BMW I think they have one in the upper portion of the window, even a SAAB 9-three.

-Ryan

syrAMG 02-04-2008 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by CarGuru (Post 2634593)
I'm not sure if this helps but all the W204's I've seen here, the CHMSL is located at the lower portion of the glass and is quite bright if you are directly behind one. I would think she had it moved there or something. Looks like the part is molded into the rear package tray and designed specifically for that area so it's not like it can just be moved. Are you sure you didn't mistake it for an Audi or E90 BMW I think they have one in the upper portion of the window, even a SAAB 9-three.

-Ryan

thanks for your output Ryan

as an owner of a W204 I am pretty sure it was infact the same car.
thats one of the reason why I posted.
Just like you've mentioned the taillamp is located or should I say cosmetically intact on the bottom. thats why I found that to be odd

infact I was behind and by her side just to double check weather it was the W204. I was thinking it may have been the Luxury edition however theres one parked in my lot and it too has the taillamp located on the bottom of the window.

could it be an import through non-commercial shipping? (not through Merc commercial)

any EU or Asia W204 owner who have this?
or could it be a 2009 model? should have taken a photo....

chilledbenz 02-04-2008 04:10 PM

Heres a thought to check out. Could have been a p2 with the rear sunshade and they have to move the third break light to the top to accomodate that. Although I doubt thats the reason as I have a p1 without the sunshade yet there is a "punch out" in the back window for where it should go and it doesnt look to interfere with the brake lights (they are l.e.d.'s and don't take up much space to begin with)

syrAMG 02-04-2008 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz (Post 2635738)
Heres a thought to check out. Could have been a p2 with the rear sunshade and they have to move the third break light to the top to accomodate that. Although I doubt thats the reason as I have a p1 without the sunshade yet there is a "punch out" in the back window for where it should go and it doesnt look to interfere with the brake lights (they are l.e.d.'s and don't take up much space to begin with)

WOW well put!! thanks for the informative reply! it may be a good explanation.
both my car and the neighbors luxury version do not have the blinds "button not on center console"
like I said in the 1st post her car looks dead stock without any mods.

Is there anyone who can provide additional info for this? anyone who has rear window blinds as one of the options?

thanks!

AsianML 02-04-2008 06:37 PM

This one has shades and brake lights on the bottom.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...em190195022935

marakbai 02-04-2008 07:09 PM

I also have sunshade and light at bottom. Sorry dude, would love to know why the diff for sure though

marakbai 02-04-2008 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by syrAMG (Post 2635426)
thanks for your output Ryan

:naughty:

chilledbenz 02-04-2008 11:59 PM

Yeah was just a guess. I didn't think that would be the answer because there is clearly a punch out in the back window and it doesnt appear to interfere with that spot, but it was the best I could think of lol.

Krytech 02-06-2008 11:23 PM

I wonder if it could of been a pre-production car?

RLE 02-06-2008 11:26 PM

Brake light

<<Heres a thought to check out. Could have been a p2 with the rear sunshade and they have to move the third break light to the top to accomodate that. Although I doubt thats the reason as I have a p1 without the sunshade yet there is a "punch out" in the back window for where it should go and it doesnt look to interfere with the brake lights (they are l.e.d.'s and don't take up much space to begin with)>>

The cars are the same worldwide. Nothing to do with the sunshade.

chilledbenz 02-07-2008 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2641008)
<<Heres a thought to check out. Could have been a p2 with the rear sunshade and they have to move the third break light to the top to accomodate that. Although I doubt thats the reason as I have a p1 without the sunshade yet there is a "punch out" in the back window for where it should go and it doesnt look to interfere with the brake lights (they are l.e.d.'s and don't take up much space to begin with)>>

The cars are the same worldwide. Nothing to do with the sunshade.

Yeah it was just a thought, didn't think that would be the answer. I also thought maybe he saw an S class as they look almost the same from the rear end, but they too have the brake light on the bottom not on the top. Its a mystery that shall stay a mystery till Scooby and the gang figure it out.

syrAMG 02-07-2008 01:02 AM

hopefully next time I'll have a camera ready.
its like telling everyone I saw a UFO :)

but just to get things feather'd up a bit more, I saw the Jaguar XF (MSRP not so far form my spec W204) rolling by as well on the enterance of same bridge.

I've already have a schedule set to check the new C63
I'll ask my dealer rep then. see if I can do that as well.

jstaneff 08-01-2008 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought of this thread today when I came up behind an Acura RL. The pic here is a 2008 model. Okay, it's not a C. The tails are solid. But from behind, and up (in the Jeep, not my C) it resembles the C a whole lot.

I saw the "star" (I thought) and the big red lights, and the brake light up by the roof and wondered "what model Benz is this?" I got closer and realized it was an RL. Weird.

But it could explain the question.

Devastator187 08-01-2008 04:10 PM

It could be a 2009 model?? :naughty:

RLE 08-02-2008 01:05 AM

Where?

Originally Posted by syrAMG (Post 2635993)
WOW well put!! thanks for the informative reply! it may be a good explanation.
both my car and the neighbors luxury version do not have the blinds "button not on center console"
like I said in the 1st post her car looks dead stock without any mods.

Is there anyone who can provide additional info for this? anyone who has rear window blinds as one of the options?

thanks!

My P2 car has the CHMSL at the bottom of the window just like every other W204 sedan ever built, '08 or '09.

This thread is as goofy as "what color are the rear turn LEDS".

Petje 08-02-2008 03:01 AM

I think it was a ESTATE, The Estate has the 3th brake light at the top....
Dont know if the ESTATE excist in the US ??

Every SEDAN has the light on the same place, also here in Europe...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...estaterear.jpg

RLE 08-02-2008 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Petje (Post 2971521)
I think it was a ESTATE, The Estate has the 3th brake light at the top....
Dont know if the ESTATE excist in the US ??

Every SEDAN has the light on the same place, also here in Europe...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...estaterear.jpg

The Estate/Wagon is not available in North America

Petje 08-03-2008 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2972025)
The Estate/Wagon is not available in North America

May B import ??

RLE 08-03-2008 07:50 PM

Private import?

Originally Posted by Petje (Post 2972648)
May B import ??

Totally completely impossible.

Any European dealer who exports a car to the US will lose his franchise. Mercedes protects their US dealers this way.

Further, nothing will make it through Customs that has not been certified for US sale. And if you think you can, keep in mind that Bill Gates and Paul Allen each bought Porsche 959s in Germany in '87 and flew them here. US Customs found out about it and seized them both. They were locked up in a Customs warehouse in San Francisco for more than twenty years.

Derspeed 08-04-2008 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2973339)
They were locked up in a Customs warehouse in San Francisco for more than twenty years.

Nice low-mileage examples.