C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

NooB Question... Some advise please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 Sport, Black on Black
Question NooB Question... Some advise please.

Im thinking of lowering my C350.. Would the stock 17" AMGs look good on em?

How much of a drop would you recommend so that it's not too low to scrape on most parking bumps? I need just an "aesthetically" good drop, i mean.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 AM

88 560sl, 08 c350
Originally Posted by BlackMercBenz

How much of a drop would you recommend so that it's not too low to scrape on most parking bumps? I need just an "aesthetically" good drop, i mean.

i would recommend getting 18' rims, then dropping it no more than .5' - 1.0'. the c350 already sits very low.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:31 AM
GPI
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 (sold), W204 (sold), W124

I do think the H&R sport springs is a good drop. It's not too low for stock rims.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by JohnGjolaj1
i would recommend getting 18' rims, then dropping it no more than .5' - 1.0'. the c350 already sits very low.
Wow! Don't think he would be pleased with dropping it half of a foot to a full foot!

P.S. Inches use ", feet use '
Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 AM

w204
if it aint rubbing, it aint low enough.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI

I lowered my with H&R spring it actually lowered 1 1/2" at the front and 1 1/4" on the rear and it clears the parking lots stops My suggestion is there is two sets of H&R springs the sport and the super sport get the super sport it will lower the car 1 3/4 at the fronts and 1 1/2 on the rears
Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Forgot, I have 18" wheels but I thinking to get 19"
Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver
Wow! Don't think he would be pleased with dropping it half of a foot to a full foot!

P.S. Inches use ", feet use '
i dont think he would even clear the ground, none less a parking block.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 PM
GPI
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 (sold), W204 (sold), W124
Originally Posted by tanktube67
Forgot, I have 18" wheels but I thinking to get 19"
Could you post some pics of your car lowered with the H&R springs? I'm considering to do the same thing.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM

C350 4MATIC Premium Package Obsidian Black
i dont think this is a noob question. 1 inch is probably all you would need. anything more and you might need to get a camber kit. is there anyone in market right now that makes this for the 350?
Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM

c300
Stock 17's on a lowered car? No. It'll look like the cheap mod mobile. Plus the offsets are conservative, so they'll be tucked.

If you actually plan to lower and care about keeping the ride civilized, make sure you get a matched set of springs and shocks ... and preferrably a set that includes new bumpstops. Bumpstops aren't really 'bump stops' they're springs in themselves, and even if you're dropping 1.5" you're going to be hitting them more often than you normally would, they need to be shorter so that the damper has room to move. Otherwise you're just crashing off them. It may still feel okay most of the time though.

I've done suspensions on a few cars, and I've gone through the phase where thinking just swapping springs is okay. I'm now at the point where I leave factory alone unless I'm willing to sink money into a full adjustable coilover setup, camber adjustment, corner balancing and taking the time to get the settings exactly where I like.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:02 PM

C350 4MATIC Premium Package Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by oblu
Stock 17's on a lowered car? No. It'll look like the cheap mod mobile. Plus the offsets are conservative, so they'll be tucked.

If you actually plan to lower and care about keeping the ride civilized, make sure you get a matched set of springs and shocks ... and preferrably a set that includes new bumpstops. Bumpstops aren't really 'bump stops' they're springs in themselves, and even if you're dropping 1.5" you're going to be hitting them more often than you normally would, they need to be shorter so that the damper has room to move. Otherwise you're just crashing off them. It may still feel okay most of the time though.

I've done suspensions on a few cars, and I've gone through the phase where thinking just swapping springs is okay. I'm now at the point where I leave factory alone unless I'm willing to sink money into a full adjustable coilover setup, camber adjustment, corner balancing and taking the time to get the settings exactly where I like.

oblu sounds like you know quite a bit about this. thanks for the info. i have often wondered what it would take to lower a car properly and still have close to factory comfort. if one was willing to pull the money out to do this properly to ensure the longevity of the car, how much would one be looking to spend???
Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I contacted Eibach recently, and a tech there told me their springs will lower the sport about .5" and the lux, just over 1". I have also contacted every shock company I could think of, and none of them have shocks for lowering springs yet. What the heck is taking so long? I think I may wait for a coilover kit.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by Derspeed
I contacted Eibach recently, and a tech there told me their springs will lower the sport about .5" and the lux, just over 1". I have also contacted every shock company I could think of, and none of them have shocks for lowering springs yet. What the heck is taking so long? I think I may wait for a coilover kit.
Remember, the C300 shocks are a special adaptive design. I doubt that you will be able to find that feature from any other supplier.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by oblu
I leave factory alone unless I'm willing to sink money into a full adjustable coilover setup, camber adjustment, corner balancing and taking the time to get the settings exactly where I like.
oblu just about took the words straight out of my mouth.

Even after only a week of driving (I got it last Saturday 03.01.08, so not even a week!) I can tell that I'm going to have to spend some money on the suspension. Sometime. The ride height looks fine to me, actually, and I have a c300 Sport with the 18" AMG wheel option. It could be a tad (0.5" ~ 0.75") lower, I suppose, but I can dig it as it is.

But the suspension travel is a little crazy, even over mild bumps. Too soft for my taste. And the body roll during corners needs to be reined in a bit. I don't need a go-kart, but I'd like it a bit flatter.

Even so, I'm not changing anything for now. I've considered buying just springs, purely for aesthetical reasons. But I'm holdin it off, because I know that the springs alone won't resolve the performance issues that I mentioned above. So I'll eventually be looking into shocks. And then sway bars. And then camber kits and braces and bushings and this and that and so on and so forth ad infinitum. Or I won't be happy.

So I'm keeping mine stock for now. Until I decide to do what oblu described in his post -- all at once, preferably, installed and adjusted. I gotta be able to afford it first though. Everything nice costs hella cheese.

Sorry for the essay, fellas. I should've simply replied:

Whatever it is, don't do it unless you plan on going full out, if performance and longevity are your concerns.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Remember, the C300 shocks are a special adaptive design. I doubt that you will be able to find that feature from any other supplier.
... and what's so special about this adaptive design, if you please? Sorry to say, I didn't even really look at the specs of this car before pullin the trigger. One picture I saw online sealed the deal at first sight.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 AM

c300
Remember, the C300 shocks are a special adaptive design. I doubt that you will be able to find that feature from any other supplier
I'd be willing to bet they're just Koni FSDs ... or koni fsd-esque technology.

The thing to remember, in regards to my last post, is it's all a matter of degrees and trade-off. 90% of the time, lowering springs on stock shocks will feel fine, but then you'll encounter some weird crest, bump or dip that sends it tripping all over itself, and you'll think to yourself, 'what the hell was that'. Or you'll go to hit a corner, hit a bump mid corner and the car will respond unexpectedly. So as you go up the ladder what you're paying for is to cover that extra 10%.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by narky
... and what's so special about this adaptive design, if you please? Sorry to say, I didn't even really look at the specs of this car before pullin the trigger. One picture I saw online sealed the deal at first sight.
"AGILITY CONTROL - this is the term used by Mercedes-Benz for all new and further developments that improve both comfort and agility in equal measure. This standard package includes the AGILITY CONTROL suspension, which controls the shock absorber forces according to the driving situation: when driving normally with low shock absorber impulses, the damping forces are automatically reduced for a noticeable improvement in ride comfort - but without any compromise in handling safety. When driving more dynamically, the maximum damping forces are set and the car is effectively stabilised. The AGILITY CONTROL steering of the new C-Class has a ratio of 14.5, and is therefore six percent more direct than the steering of the preceding model. The likewise included AGILITY CONTROL gearshift reflects the sporty character of the C-Class with a short travel and precise shifts."
Old 03-08-2008, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blastit
i dont think this is a noob question. 1 inch is probably all you would need. anything more and you might need to get a camber kit. is there anyone in market right now that makes this for the 350?
I hade a 4 wheel alignment done right after I replaced the springs, the alignment is under specifications no extra parts was needed.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GPI
Could you post some pics of your car lowered with the H&R springs? I'm considering to do the same thing.
I will after I decide which wheels to purchase
Old 03-09-2008, 04:36 PM

2008 C350 Sport, Black on Black
Thanx much folks for all the input.
I love going into forums specifically for this reason!

"Around here, you gotta love what you drive!"
Old 03-09-2008, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon

Since this feature is contained within the shocks replacing them wouldn't be a big deal to me. I know the shocks could handle the springs, but shorter springs may require shortened shock travel. I'd hate to install new springs and then need to replace the shocks sfter 20,000 miles due to premature wear.