MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Rear Deck Vibration - anyone ? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/238558-rear-deck-vibration-anyone.html)

davatk 04-07-2008 02:35 PM

Rear Deck Vibration - anyone ?

I have isolated a vibration that is coming from the rear deck of my C300 (P1 - without rear sunshade). I notice it when I turn up the stereo a little (bass) and when I am on a slightly rough road surface. I tapped on the rear deck with my fingers, and the noise is definitely coming from there. Anyone else had this issue ? :nix:

Thanks,

chilledbenz 04-07-2008 03:35 PM

You can thank that plastic rear defrost vent for that. I have a slight "creak" when I hit certain bumps but its nothing like my old 3 series I had, that thing vibrated with the radio, over bumps, heck it vibrated if I farted in the car. :rolf:

Kieffer 04-07-2008 11:33 PM

I have it after the car has sat in the sun for a while. It goes away after about five minutes - otherwise, it would drive me crazy.

Carsy 04-08-2008 03:21 AM

Yes , I have the vibration on the rear parcel shelf when on a coarse road. I stuffed some foam rubber ,accessing from the boot( trunk) ,into the recesses under the parcel shelf .It should apply more pressure to the surfaces causing the problem . Will see tomorrow whether the vibration has stopped .

custodusty 04-08-2008 09:54 AM

I have vibration in the rear deck too, but I'm pretty sure it is from the 2 JL 10's in the trunk.

Hazemonster 04-08-2008 10:31 AM

...so can someone please give us CLEAR concise directions on how to make the back deck stop vibrating? I hear, "stuff rags in there from the trunk". Would someone who has done this please clue us in...how much? where?

Thanks

AMGTestDriverNJ 04-08-2008 12:02 PM

I realized it after reading this post! How annoying! ugh! I just replaced a $900 wind seal on my CL because it was vibrating! I hate those types of noises especially from cars like these. Whats the fix?

Raydens 04-08-2008 01:04 PM

yep...got it to on my c. I am leaving the car overnight to the dealer to figure that one out...the car is still freakin under warranty and it is mercedes benz. why does it rattle like american car???

Carsy 04-09-2008 03:25 AM

Rear Deck Vibration - anyone ?

The vibration seems to come from the two differing material surfaces at the back of my parcel tray ( Rear Deck).I have pushed some 1/2 inch thick small pieces of foam rubber between the steel frame of the parcel shelf & these tray surfaces accessing from the boot ( trunk) It increases the pressure between these two surfaces therefore stops the vibration.A 3 minute job & very technical !!

Hazemonster 04-09-2008 06:39 AM

Thanks.

Got pix? Which holes? I have already placed about $45 worth of dynamat on that shelf, and if I have to cut holes in it to stuff foam up there, I want to be sure where to cut.

Thanks for the good tip.

Carsy 04-09-2008 06:44 AM

The foam goes in the existing holes directly under the parcel shelf.

davatk 04-09-2008 08:48 AM

Vibration comments - thanks

Thanks to all who have commented so far. Hopefully the dealers have an "official" fix for this, like someone else said...this is an MB..

I also sometimes hear a similar rattle/vibration from the front of the vehicle, maybe from the console area, but not real sure. Has anyone else been able to isolate any rattles from that area ?

Thanks !

:)

Hazemonster 04-09-2008 01:16 PM

Thanks Carsy. How about a pic of the hole you used?...or do they all work the same?

Carsy 04-09-2008 04:45 PM

Use a hole that has the existing MB foam coming into contact with the steel support shelf. If you ease your piece of foam in between the MB foam & the steel support shelf it will add pressure to the two surfaces that are vibrating.

davatk 05-05-2008 08:30 AM

MB HAS NO FIX ??

Okay, just took my car in for the 1500-3000 mile checkup, and advised service advisor that I have no issues EXCEPT a Nasty:eek: rattle/vibration in the rear deck when driving on a rough road, or when I turn up the stereo. Service adviser stated that they had a couple of 2008 C Classes brought back for this problem and that they HAD NO FIX because MB had not provided one (yet). He said something about the rear seat belt. Not sure what this has to do with it since I can stop the rattle for the most part by resting my hand on top of the rear deck. And all this of course is without even looking at the car yet.

Anyone else had this reponse from a dealer ? Moreso, anyone else had this problem "officially fixed ?" :nix:

rb23lb 05-05-2008 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by davatk (Post 2805790)
Okay, just took my car in for the 1500-3000 mile checkup, and advised service advisor that I have no issues EXCEPT a Nasty:eek: rattle/vibration in the rear deck when driving on a rough road, or when I turn up the stereo. Service adviser stated that they had a couple of 2008 C Classes brought back for this problem and that they HAD NO FIX because MB had not provided one (yet). He said something about the rear seat belt. Not sure what this has to do with it since I can stop the rattle for the most part by resting my hand on top of the rear deck. And all this of course is without even looking at the car yet.

Anyone else had this reponse from a dealer ? Moreso, anyone else had this problem "officially fixed ?" :nix:

I took my 08' c350 to MB santa barbara for warranty service. I to had this same "creaking" problem from the rear plastic grill adjacent to the inner windshield...

they ordered a whole new part and reinstalled it, PROBLEM FIXED!

Haven't heard a single noise since, no matter what!!

Take yo your dealer, this can be easily fixed under warranty.

MB Newport Beach told me they could not reporduce the noise so did nothing to fix it, but MB santa barbara fixed it with the replacement of the entire part!

tanktube67 05-05-2008 02:15 PM

not here

chilledbenz 05-05-2008 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 2806360)
I took my 08' c350 to MB santa barbara for warranty service. I to had this same "creaking" problem from the rear plastic grill adjacent to the inner windshield...

they ordered a whole new part and reinstalled it, PROBLEM FIXED!

Haven't heard a single noise since, no matter what!!

Take yo your dealer, this can be easily fixed under warranty.

MB Newport Beach told me they could not reporduce the noise so did nothing to fix it, but MB santa barbara fixed it with the replacement of the entire part!

Ahhhh great info here. Surprisingly with the warmer weather the creaks and cracks are getting worse...so much that one would think you were in a five year old car. I say surprisingly because in my past 3 Series the cracks and creeks happened during cold weather and went away once it was warm. I'll try to remember to mention is when I take it in for its first servicing. Thankfully nothing else has gone wrong to warrant an unneeded trip to get serviced.

davatk 05-14-2008 07:41 AM

MB - No fix - ME fix

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 2757526)
Use a hole that has the existing MB foam coming into contact with the steel support shelf. If you ease your piece of foam in between the MB foam & the steel support shelf it will add pressure to the two surfaces that are vibrating.

Well, thanks to Carsy, I may have at least temporarily fixed the problem. I stuffed a piece of foam between the stock foam and the steel frame from the trunk under the rear deck. I have not heard the rattle since. It took me about 10 minutes or less. What really ticks me off :X is that the MB dealer didn't even attempt to do anything, when they could have easily fixed just like I did - at least temporarily until MB came out with something more official. I hope I get a follow up survey.

Anyhow, thanks Carsy !! :)