MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Japanese tires on German car? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/238627-japanese-tires-german-car.html)

AkaSigFreak 04-07-2008 09:31 PM

Japanese tires on German car?

2 Attachment(s)
I am purchasing new rims and tires but can't decide on tire brand. I have always used BF Goodrich (until these Michelins). I was considering
Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Yokohama ADVAN S.4.
Yokohama S.drive
I really like the Yoko's but is is wrong to put these on a German car?
They have better traction, treadware and temp ratings.
What do you think?:nix:
I also wondered what you thought about the rims. They will be Silver (not chrome) and the shop said they take the Mercedes center caps. Can't decide between 5 or 6 spoke. Damn I can't decide on anything can I?

itcrashed 04-07-2008 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 2753274)
I am purchasing new rims and tires but can't decide on tire brand. I have always used BF Goodrich (until these Michelins). I was considering
Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Yokohama ADVAN S.4.
Yokohama S.drive

if you like em...who cares what everyone else thinks!

i put on volk wheels wrapped in toyos on my m3 and so many people gave me shiat, but i didn't care...i thought they performed and looked great!

amdeutsch 04-07-2008 09:34 PM

Pirelli is Italian,
Michelin is French,
Dunlop I believe is now Japanese owned,

What was your question again?

bigwheeler 04-07-2008 09:38 PM

Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Yokohama ADVAN S.4.
Yokohama S.drive

Some A-Class' from/in Germany come with Korean KUMHO tires and some AMG's come with Japanese with ADVAN Sport tires. And yes, Bridgestone and Dunlop... you should judge the tire by its' review/ratings, not by the origin or brand.

Derspeed 04-07-2008 10:21 PM

Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S are hands-down, the best HP "all-season" tires I have ever owned. They are quiet, perform very well and mine lasted for 30,000 miles.

rdsesq 04-07-2008 10:47 PM

Personally I am a bridgestone fan, but they are not on your list. Migh be worth a look.
I concur with itcrashed, do what you like and other people can like it or lump it.

Mu9enx 04-07-2008 10:48 PM

why does it matter what country the tire brands are originally from? :confused:

AkaSigFreak 04-07-2008 11:15 PM

I thought it was like wearing Nike shoes with a Converse shirt (tacky):scared:

jherbias 04-07-2008 11:28 PM

Falken ST115s (Japanese) are decent for luxury vehicles; they suck on performance cars (like mine). I found out the hard way when I spun out in the rain and hopped a curb. Their FK452s and RT615s get great reviews for the price, although their tread wear will probably much shorter than the ST115s.

Kumho Ecsta tires get some good reviews too... they're Korean tires though. Hankook tires aren't bad either; same country.

Goodyear Eagle F1s are pretty popular for great grip for their price, as well as being relatively quiet.

As for the wheels... they're not for me. I like the stock AMGs.

Carsy 04-07-2008 11:35 PM

I have Bridgestones on my 220CDI which are made in France !! No probs.
Previously I have owned Peugeots & had problems with Michelin so changed to Pirelli which were made in Turkey!!
See if your dealer sells Continental or Kleber which may be made in Germany.

newtonlaw 04-07-2008 11:38 PM

I had Michelin PS on my last W203 with sport package (stock tires) and they were Made in Germany! i think they are okay, only okay, i hated the road noise! But now, i have these ContiProContact (stock, Made in Germany) on my C300 and i loved them, they are so quiet!

aowhaus 04-08-2008 02:12 AM

I've had Kuhmo and Hankook tires and they both have performed very well and the tire wear is actually very good considering its high performance rating. Best of all I think they are the best bang for your buck out there. They are both from Korea and are a very fine tire for any kind of car.

Read the reviews and tests on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports and you could fine the right tire for you. It doesn't matter where it comes from, it's how it is designed and made.

Mu9enx 04-08-2008 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by aowhaus (Post 2753898)
I've had Kuhmo and Hankook tires and they both have performed very well and the tire wear is actually very good considering its high performance rating. Best of all I think they are the best bang for your buck out there. They are both from Korea and are a very fine tire for any kind of car.

Read the reviews and tests on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports and you could fine the right tire for you. It doesn't matter where it comes from, it's how it is designed and made.

:word:

AkaSigFreak 04-08-2008 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have stock AMG's. Everyone who sees the car like the wheels but I want something different.

Mu9enx 04-08-2008 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 2754215)
I don't have stock AMG's. Everyone who sees the car like the wheels but I want something different.

the monoblock vi replicas looks great; i have replica vi's also, lol.

Baron Samedi 04-08-2008 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 2754215)

I like the 5-spoke. Probably because they resemble the AMG 18".

mac911 04-08-2008 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mu9enx (Post 2754222)
the monoblock vi replicas looks great; i have replica vi's also, lol.

Where can these be procured? Thanks!

tanktube67 04-08-2008 11:07 AM

I like the 6 spoke, go with the tires that you feel more comfortable.

hyukki 04-08-2008 01:06 PM

I'd punch everyone who thinks you can't have "non-German" tires on a German car.

mingo 04-08-2008 05:09 PM

Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Yokohama ADVAN S.4.
Yokohama S.drive
I also wondered what you thought about the rims. They will be Silver (not chrome) and the shop said they take the Mercedes center caps. Can't decide between 5 or 6 spoke. Damn I can't decide on anything can I?

the Ferrari Enzo comes with bridgestone tires. All that matters is getting the best made tires on the road, not what country they came from.

Mu9enx 04-08-2008 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mac911 (Post 2754378)
Where can these be procured? Thanks!

a lotta sites. you can get them from moven/monet as it is a good replioca.

lkchris 04-08-2008 07:18 PM

BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin and is very much Michelin's "B" brand.

Just like Firestone is owned by Bridgestone. Same applies.

Just like Dunlop is owned by Goodyear. Same applies.

A great example of Japanese tires on a German car is the Toyota Formula One car that's built in Germany and runs Bridgestones.

I suspect you might see some Japanese tires on the new car showroom at a Porsche dealer, too.

AkaSigFreak 04-09-2008 09:33 PM

Wheel choice #1 is out (no fitment for W204 after they said they did).
I can get choice #2 18x8.5 45 offset front/18x9.5 45 offset rear with Yokohama S Drives for $1600. I will have to purchase TPMS for $300.
Do you think that is a good deal?
What do you think of the rims?

Mu9enx 04-09-2008 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 2758129)
Wheel choice #1 is out (no fitment for W204 after they said they did).
I can get choice #2 18x8.5 45 offset front/18x9.5 45 offset rear with Yokohama S Drives for $1600. I will have to purchase TPMS for $300.
Do you think that is a good deal?
What do you think of the rims?

but the question is, what do YOU think of the rims. don't buy rims that other people would like, buy what you like!

although personally they look similar to HREs and i think they are nice :D

RLE 04-10-2008 01:08 AM

Tires

<<I have Bridgestones on my 220CDI which are made in France !! .......
See if your dealer sells Continental or Kleber which may be made in Germany.>>

I mounted Bridgestone RE-050A on my 18s. Quite happy.

For God's sake, don't buy Conti tires.