MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Bone head mistake ...i need some advice. (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/243611-bone-head-mistake-i-need-some-advice.html)

franka2000 05-10-2008 09:46 PM

Bone head mistake ...i need some advice.

I made a bone head mistake last night, my car warned me that i was on reserve gasoline at 9am, went to lunch at 12pm drove for 5 miles, after work went to hang out with a few friends drove for about 10 miles, made it home safe at 2am, went to bed.

This morning i woke up started the car, it wouldnt start, I was freaking out, then i realized oops, out of gas .what a bone head mistake i made.

to make matter worst, i put 2 gallons from my lawnmower container in order to get me to the gas station, the lawnmower gasoline was regular gas.

went to the gas station and filled up for $63.

Should i worry about future problems because of this BONE HEAD MISTAKE.

Please I need some advice

amdeutsch 05-10-2008 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by franka2000 (Post 2816541)
I made a bone head mistake last night, my car warned me that i was on reserve gasoline at 9am, went to lunch at 12pm drove for 5 miles, after work went to hang out with a few friends drove for about 10 miles, made it home safe at 2am, went to bed.

This morning i woke up started the car, it wouldnt start, I was freaking out, then i realized oops, out of gas .what a bone head mistake i made.

to make matter worst, i put 2 gallons from my lawnmower container in order to get me to the gas station, the lawnmower gasoline was regular gas.

What does your manual say about mixing gas? For that fact; what do all the other posts on this forum say in regards to this? RTFM/STFF. :slap:

RLE 05-10-2008 10:29 PM

Regular

When you say lawnmower gas, I assume your mower has a four-cycle engine which means it's just 87 octane.

You have done no harm to anything so quit worrying about it. How many miles did you get on that tank you ran dry, then?

Pay attention to the gauge in the future.

franka2000 05-10-2008 10:34 PM

yeah 87 octane

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2816580)
When you say lawnmower gas, I assume your mower has a four-cycle engine which means it's just 87 octane.

You have done no harm to anything so quit worrying about it. How many miles did you get on that tank you ran dry, then?

Pay attention to the gauge in the future.

my lawnmower take 87 octane.

this will never happen again.:nix:

chilledbenz 05-11-2008 12:24 AM

No real problem in using a lower octane gas as the computer in the car will adjust for it, your real problem was running the car till it was empty. A couple of things happen when you do that, one being your sucking all the dirt off the bottom of the tank, while its a new car it won't have a huge amount of dirt, there is always dirt in the gas itself. Two being its very hard on that fuel pump, specially if you ran it completely dry, might have a pump failure in the near future, probably wouldn't hurt to have the service department hook it up to their computers and do a check.

benggolf 05-11-2008 12:26 AM

Consider yourself lucky that you were not flying an airplane. (J/K)
Running out of gas is a no-no. Keep an eye on that fuel gauge and form the habit of filling up once you are below the 1/4 mark. :rolf:

I'm sure no harm was done to your motor when it digested your lawn mower's gas (87 octane). :y

MB Fanatic 05-11-2008 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by franka2000 (Post 2816541)

damn $63 thats cheap. I just filled up for $85 in the CL today.

JimPap 05-11-2008 11:18 AM

Reminds me of Cramer in the Seinfeld TV series.

RLE 05-11-2008 03:36 PM

It's all relative...

<<damn $63 thats cheap. I just filled up for $85 in the CL today.
GL550 MY09 - wife
SL63 MY09 - mine
CLS 55 K4 - mine>>

Oh, come now. If I had your money, I'd throw mine away.

RLE 05-11-2008 11:30 PM

AC vs car

[<<Consider yourself lucky that you were not flying an airplane. (J/K)>>

If he were, he would not consider the fuel gauge to be any more than a suggestion of what might be in the tanks, since they are never the sole determination of fuel remaining. Fuel burn for a trip of any length is carefully calculated using charts, power settings, altitude etc.

Car drivers, on the other hand...........

franka2000 05-11-2008 11:47 PM

very funny

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2817926)
[<<Consider yourself lucky that you were not flying an airplane. (J/K)>>

If he were, he would not consider the fuel gauge to be any more than a suggestion of what might be in the tanks, since they are never the sole determination of fuel remaining. Fuel burn for a trip of any length is carefully calculated using charts, power settings, altitude etc.

Car drivers, on the other hand...........

very funny.

QQQ 05-12-2008 12:36 AM

Nothing can be undone so stop worry about it.

melbourne tim 05-12-2008 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz (Post 2816744)
No real problem in using a lower octane gas as the computer in the car will adjust for it, your real problem was running the car till it was empty. A couple of things happen when you do that, one being your sucking all the dirt off the bottom of the tank, while its a new car it won't have a huge amount of dirt, there is always dirt in the gas itself. Two being its very hard on that fuel pump, specially if you ran it completely dry, might have a pump failure in the near future, probably wouldn't hurt to have the service department hook it up to their computers and do a check.

On the positive side, you engine did not run until it cut out on empty. It simply wouldn't start the next day. I think there was probably still some fuel in the system, but not enough to allow engine to start. I don't think the pumps ran till empty.

451/443=EW 05-12-2008 03:14 PM

HAHA

Im sorry man, but in a place like (MB form) you cant run out of gas dude.
Well it happens, but if you put 87 in your fine. You do want to put the better stuff in cus your car will run much better. Also by putting better feul in you can increase your feal economy to.

ni2mi2 05-12-2008 03:39 PM

Did you try calling Roadside assistance? I thought they would fill you up until the nearest gas station!

chilledbenz 05-12-2008 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ni2mi2 (Post 2819081)
Did you try calling Roadside assistance? I thought they would fill you up until the nearest gas station!

+1 They bring you a gallon of fuel...or they are supposed to..never had to take them up on it ha ha.

Kieffer 05-13-2008 10:14 PM

So, was the computer accurate regarding "miles to empty?" I'm a bit distrustful of those things, so I'm curious if you checked the estimated miles to empty. Thanks.

franka2000 05-13-2008 11:07 PM

could not see

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 2821760)
So, was the computer accurate regarding "miles to empty?" I'm a bit distrustful of those things, so I'm curious if you checked the estimated miles to empty. Thanks.

It did not show it, i saw the a little icon of the car pumping gas symbol.

jstaneff 05-13-2008 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by franka2000 (Post 2821881)
It did not show it, i saw the a little icon of the car pumping gas symbol.

Yeah, that's one of the faults of the car. Once that icon shows up, you no longer have access to the miles-remaining screen. So, you either stop and get gas, or run out.

The problem is worse: when you fill up, you may not put more than about 16 gallons into the tank. But the tank is supposed to hold 17.4 gallons. Where is that extra gallon, and why can't we use it?

How many gallons did it take to fill your car from fumes?

franka2000 05-13-2008 11:38 PM

fumes?

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jstaneff (Post 2821917)
Yeah, that's one of the faults of the car. Once that icon shows up, you no longer have access to the miles-remaining screen. So, you either stop and get gas, or run out.

The problem is worse: when you fill up, you may not put more than about 16 gallons into the tank. But the tank is supposed to hold 17.4 gallons. Where is that extra gallon, and why can't we use it?

How many gallons did it take to fill your car from fumes?

dude you are scaring me, you mean i was driving on fumes?

16 gallons exact fills my tank that day, i was so lucky the car didnt stop with me at 3 am, i was just being lazy that day...no more lazzyness. :nix:

I'm sure these guys would have come to my rescue. (see picture)

acr2001 05-14-2008 01:47 AM

A 17 gallon gas tank does not actually hold 17 gallons of fuel. A

A certain amount of air needs to remain at the top so that fuel does not find its way out the vent pipe or into the charcoal cannister damaging the fuel vapor recovery (i think that's what its called) system. This is true on any vehicle.

whoover 05-14-2008 02:07 AM

I had a bad fuel gauge sender once and ran out of gas (the gauge read 1/4). They replaced the sender on extended warranty and insisted on also replacing the fuel pump. They said it would have a very short life once it pumped air. Thank goodness for extended warranties.

lx Raven xl 05-14-2008 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic (Post 2816754)
damn $63 thats cheap. I just filled up for $85 in the CL today.

I pay 65 Euros for half a tank. I never go blow 1/2 Tank mark..

franka2000 05-14-2008 08:24 AM

thanks

Originally Posted by acr2001 (Post 2822159)
A 17 gallon gas tank does not actually hold 17 gallons of fuel. A

A certain amount of air needs to remain at the top so that fuel does not find its way out the vent pipe or into the charcoal cannister damaging the fuel vapor recovery (i think that's what its called) system. This is true on any vehicle.

Thanks so much for the explaination, its one of those bone head mistake im happy i made now than later.

I will definetly learn from this.

Thanks.

CarGuru 05-14-2008 10:57 AM

I didn't know Benz owners mow their own grass :slap::slap: Whats a lawn mower?

-Ryan