MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Removed center resonator and X pipe (clip) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/243906-removed-center-resonator-x-pipe-clip.html)

nbturbos 05-12-2008 10:12 PM

Removed center resonator and X pipe (clip)

So I went to my friend at exhaust depot and had him remove my center resonator and just put pipes in its place.

I hated it, very raspy. So I went back and had him put an x pipe in...MUCH better. I love it now. You can barely tell there was a change from inside the car over stock, and from the outside, well check out the video. I'll do a drive by clip tomorrow, as I'm sure it will sound a little different under load. Opinions welcome. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QryR5Tlwi84

angeloxnet 05-12-2008 10:30 PM

all u need now is quad tip mod :)

tanktube67 05-13-2008 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by nbturbos (Post 2819827)
So I went to my friend at exhaust depot and had him remove my center resonator and just put pipes in its place.

I hated it, very raspy. So I went back and had him put an x pipe in...MUCH better. I love it now. You can barely tell there was a change from inside the car over stock, and from the outside, well check out the video. I'll do a drive by clip tomorrow, as I'm sure it will sound a little different under load. Opinions welcome. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I like it.

I being thinking for some time of doing just that to remove exhaust back pressure, I like the way it sounds thanks for the video clip, do you feel it gain more horse power?

nbturbos 05-13-2008 01:15 AM

The stock resonator isn't restrictive at all, I'll show some pics of the inside of that if I can tomorrow.

I didn't notice any increase in power, as far as I'm concerned it's purely cosmetic.

myinternetsucks 05-13-2008 12:22 PM

does that mess with any smog or emissions laws? will it pass now? i live in Cali and we have some of the toughest smog laws known, if i were to do this mod you think ill be able to pass a smog check?:confused:

tanktube67 05-13-2008 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by myinternetsucks (Post 2820690)
does that mess with any smog or emissions laws? will it pass now? i live in Cali and we have some of the toughest smog laws known, if i were to do this mod you think ill be able to pass a smog check?:confused:

Not at all the resonator or pre- muffler is mostly to reduce noise

vcruiser 05-13-2008 03:00 PM

I am so down to do that to my c350

would it void my warranty lol ?

nbturbos 05-14-2008 12:20 AM

It's possible, but not probable. There are no sensors after the cats so no CEL will be seen. Doesn't affect the engines performance either...IMO.

The stock resonator is just as free flowing as an X pipe I think. There is nothing special about the stock reso except the way its cambered, almost like having to X pips inside it with some baffling...shouldn't mess with emissions.

aowhaus 05-14-2008 01:45 AM

don't know about MB, but on VWs and Audis removing the resonator also loses 40-50 pounds.

I had mine removed on my Passat. At the shop while it was being removed I heard a "oh sh..." and a big crash -- the stock resonator dropped like tank while the car was up high on a lift. Luckily no one was hurt.
I didn't like the sound from the outside (but at least it has a nice deep rich sound) and there was a really loud drone from the inside -- this is problem with V6s, but sounds not bad on the 1.8T engines.

AMGTestDriverNJ 05-14-2008 02:05 AM

If you think doing that your car won't void your warranty

your nuts. Its not even like its an after-cat mod. No way it isn't probable, its definite.

Hungy 05-14-2008 03:21 AM

omg, i have been waiting for someone to do this forever. Removing the resonator :D

nbturbos 05-14-2008 03:22 AM

It actually IS an after cat mod...since when do resonators come before cats anyway? I've never seen that. In my previous post it's understood there are not sensors after the cats, which is where the resonator is.

aowhaus, I had a 2.0T before this, and before I got my 3" turbo back I did the resonator delete and it sounded great. I've owned 8 VWs, this is my first benz. This one is also quite hefty.

CarGuru 05-14-2008 11:02 AM

:y I think it sounds good, i've been thinking about doing the same mod, but taking it one step further and leaving the resonators but removing the rear suitcases and putting the stock tips onto straight pipes.

-Ryan

nbturbos 05-14-2008 05:57 PM

I've heard of one guy doing that, but never heard what it sounded like.

jangy 05-14-2008 09:19 PM

Anyone done a C350 with straight pipes?

I think it'll add power. Not much, but hey. One thing you guys are forgetting is the tune of the flow. The reonator or x-pipe turns that energy that you are hearing and turns it into turbulence, which literally traps the energy. Point being that straight pipes are more free flowing, simply because they do not have as much turbulence. That is why many people add H pipes when they want a drop in backpressure but don't want the side to side sounds overlapping.

My E55 one weighed about 30lbs

nbturbos 05-14-2008 10:56 PM

I always thought the flow of an x-pipe was smoother than an H pipe, meaning a more free flowing exhaust. Thought the X provides a higher pitched sound, and H pipe a deeper rumbling sound.

What I've also read is an H pipe is better for gaining some torque, while X pipes gain more in the higher RPM range.

KuiDaCroat22 05-15-2008 02:37 PM

that sounds badass im going to do that to my c300

Savage c-300 05-15-2008 02:49 PM

sounds real good! congrats on the mod.

white_glass_top 05-15-2008 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by nbturbos (Post 2819827)

nice sounds u think u could email me exactly or how u did this, would be great, or take a pic of underneath then i can go from there, wanna make sure im removing the right thing, lol.

nbturbos 05-15-2008 05:10 PM

Ill try and get under the car sometime this weekend.

But its the only huge mass under the center of the car that connects both pipes, can't miss it. Just tell whatever shop you go to to replace that with an X pipe. If they need more explination than that...go to another shop.

white_glass_top 05-17-2008 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by nbturbos (Post 2825512)
Ill try and get under the car sometime this weekend.

But its the only huge mass under the center of the car that connects both pipes, can't miss it. Just tell whatever shop you go to to replace that with an X pipe. If they need more explination than that...go to another shop.

yeah u right about that, i checked it out tho, they looking into ordering the right size right now, hopefully next week will be good to hook, thanks again

jimmybrakejob 08-13-2010 07:46 PM

would you mind sharing a price range? just so i know what to expect lol

hansentay 08-13-2010 08:33 PM

so, it wont void the warranty? both X and H?

charliele729 08-13-2010 08:50 PM

Anything modified after the cat will not void any warranties or will fail smog (even in CA). Adding on an aftermarket exhaust system will not void warranties either so I am positive that a removed resonator will not be a problem. All a resonator is there is to silence and baffle the exhaust note.

hansentay 08-14-2010 01:25 AM

what is CATS anyways?