C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 C-Class *COUPE*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
The forum rules do NOT prohibit members demonstrating lack of judgment. Perhaps a violation of "abusive" has been committed, but it is unlikely the "line has been crossed", meriting a rebuke.

So, please continue with the juvenile bickering, as I'm not easily entertained and observing "adults" acting worse than children is free stimulation.

My contention remains that indignant rebellious conformists acting as "style Gurus" is better than free HBO.

When MB updated the Coupe to the CLC, they "picked on" the correct end. The rear of a 2+2 hatchback coupe is one of the distinctive design features for that body style. So, to leave the rear "alone" while fixing the nose is fine by me.

My understanding is the rational to make the CLC as a W203+ to minimize the cost impact, to permit this model to remain competitive with other vehicles in the market. So what! With the Internet, there are no secrets, so all know it’s not a “true” W204.

While MB remains committed to competing for this market segment, on the other hand, MBUSA has a myopic focus on the Acura market segment and business model. Bye bye US manual transmissions. Bye bye configuration choices. Bye bye sport models.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by maryjcl
A couple of thoughts here:

First, I respect the fact you don't like the coupe. It is a free country and car design is emotional -- some people like certain designs and some do not. That's absolutely fine. Look at the never-ending controversy surrounding Chris Bangle. But there's no need for anyone to get rude in terms of expressing opinions. Not just you, but others here too. Why the anger? It's just a car, at the end of the day.

Second, you are aware, aren't you that you also own the cheapest Mercedes currently available in the U.S.? Did you buy it because it was the cheapest, or because it was a manual transmission? It very well could be because it is the only manual sedan Mercedes sells. There's absolutely nothing wrong if you purchased it for either reason, btw.

Third, our household income was about $300k per year when we purchased the W203 C230K coupe. We purchased it because we wanted a practical two door car with flexible cargo room, a manual transmission, either a convertible or very large sunroof, good fuel efficiency (to lessen our dependence on people who do not like us), and a full complement of safety equipment. This was the car that met our requirements, and we have been very pleased with it. Lack of income did not come into play, in other words.

I don't like the 204 coupe becuase it strikes me as a marketing effort not backed by real advancements in engineering, in the sense that MB simply tweaked a 203. The original 203 coupe was a cool car, IMHO, because it combined Mercedes' latest safety and chassis engineering into a compact, fun to drive, practical and safe car. The 204 is a better car, as is always the case when Mercedes introduces a new model, so it would have been cool to see those advancements incorporated into a new coupe.

My opinion is the problem Mercedes had with the coupe has to do with the fact that relative to its peers, i.e., other sporty hatchbacks, it was very expensive, and that because it was a small Benz (the W201 190 series also received significant criticism when it was introduced in the U.S. as the "cheap Benz"), there is a percentage of the public that buys cars for the brand and not the engineering, and is thus too insecure to own the coupe if that is the car that would otherwise serve their needs. When everyone leases, the difference in price between the coupe and the CLK probably was $100 a month or so, so get the more expensive car and impress the neighbors, right? That's the American way, after all.
I posted a long(er) reply to this last night, but my post has inexplicably disappeared. So here I try again:

First and foremost, I must apologize to you, maryjcl. Please accept my apology. However, my sentiment is directed to you and to you only.

My admittedly childish posts above cannot be fully excused, but I must say that my rash reactions were in response to the C-coupe owner who likened the w204's design to that of the new Accord when he felt slighted by my personal opinion of the C-coupe design. I believe he purposefully compared my car to a Japanese car to somehow make me feel bad. As such, I don't regret beginning this flame war with him (and others) one bit, because I think it's just outright, terrible snobbery to imply that Japanese cars are "lesser imports" (his words) because of their origin. I sense these sentiments oozing out of many, if not most, Mercedes-Benz and BMW owners, and it just makes me sick.

With my current income, I can comfortably buy (not lease) an E-class, but not yet an S-class. I paid for the w204 with cash. Even so, I almost bought a 2008 Honda Civic Si prior to my deposit on the w204 for many reasons, none of which is any sort of prestige conferred upon my person by a mere object bought with money. And I do agree with you and lament that many in this Land of the Leased Consumption equate ownership (or lessee-ship? ) of material things with personal value.

I bought the C300 because 1. I fell in love at first sight with a picture of an Arctic White w/ pano roof, 2. it was offered with a manual transmission (a must-have for me), and 3. my father, the only man for whom I reserve utter and complete respect, advised me to buy it instead of a "high school" car--the Civic Si.

My father can comfortably afford a Maybach or two, yet recently purchased a Lexus ES350 (a $40k car), and even that only at my mother's great insistence. He was planning on buying a Toyota Camry 4 cyl. This father's reasoning for wanting me to buy "a nice car" was that even though the Civic Si is a great car, we do live in America, after all, and my clients--who may not be as pragmatic as we--may second guess my abilities on seeing me arrive in a $20k car. I disagreed with him on that point, but once again, an online picture changed my mind and convinced me on the spot.

Again, I realize that it is plainly wrong for me, or for anyone, to generalize the reasons why anyone would or should buy any car. If you bought the C-coupe for whatever reason you bought it for, that's the best reason to buy it. I bought the w204 for whatever reasons I bought it for.

Having said all that, however, I still think the C-coupe design is just horrid. M-B could've done better. As RLE said, it looks like the *** of a baboon in heat, all hitched up in the rear. I couldn't have said it better. I intend no offense by my personal opinion, whatever its worth.

Final Notes:

Untertürkheim: Again, just stop it.

wingless: A string of random polysyllabic words does not an intelligent comment make. How does one become a "rebellious conformist"? Oxymoron?

ismeto: In the American idiom, "bad-***" has a patently positive connotation. "The C-class is bad-***!" means "The C-class is awesome!". It does not mean "The C-class has a horrible rear design."

I think I'm done with this thread. You guys can take it from here. Flame on! *whooooosh*
Old 05-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Waiting for W204 Facelift
Originally Posted by narky
I posted a long(er) reply to this last night, but my post has inexplicably disappeared. So here I try again:

First and foremost, I must apologize to you, maryjcl. Please accept my apology. However, my sentiment is directed to you and to you only.

My admittedly childish posts above cannot be fully excused, but I must say that my rash reactions were in response to the C-coupe owner who likened the w204's design to that of the new Accord when he felt slighted by my personal opinion of the C-coupe design. I believe he purposefully compared my car to a Japanese car to somehow make me feel bad. As such, I don't regret beginning this flame war with him (and others) one bit, because I think it's just outright, terrible snobbery to imply that Japanese cars are "lesser imports" (his words) because of their origin. I sense these sentiments oozing out of many, if not most, Mercedes-Benz and BMW owners, and it just makes me sick.

With my current income, I can comfortably buy (not lease) an E-class, but not yet an S-class. I paid for the w204 with cash. Even so, I almost bought a 2008 Honda Civic Si prior to my deposit on the w204 for many reasons, none of which is any sort of prestige conferred upon my person by a mere object bought with money. And I do agree with you and lament that many in this Land of the Leased Consumption equate ownership (or lessee-ship? ) of material things with personal value.

I bought the C300 because 1. I fell in love at first sight with a picture of an Arctic White w/ pano roof, 2. it was offered with a manual transmission (a must-have for me), and 3. my father, the only man for whom I reserve utter and complete respect, advised me to buy it instead of a "high school" car--the Civic Si.

My father can comfortably afford a Maybach or two, yet recently purchased a Lexus ES350 (a $40k car), and even that only at my mother's great insistence. He was planning on buying a Toyota Camry 4 cyl. This father's reasoning for wanting me to buy "a nice car" was that even though the Civic Si is a great car, we do live in America, after all, and my clients--who may not be as pragmatic as we--may second guess my abilities on seeing me arrive in a $20k car. I disagreed with him on that point, but once again, an online picture changed my mind and convinced me on the spot.

Again, I realize that it is plainly wrong for me, or for anyone, to generalize the reasons why anyone would or should buy any car. If you bought the C-coupe for whatever reason you bought it for, that's the best reason to buy it. I bought the w204 for whatever reasons I bought it for.

Having said all that, however, I still think the C-coupe design is just horrid. M-B could've done better. As RLE said, it looks like the *** of a baboon in heat, all hitched up in the rear. I couldn't have said it better. I intend no offense by my personal opinion, whatever its worth.

Final Notes:

Untertürkheim: Again, just stop it.

wingless: A string of random polysyllabic words does not an intelligent comment make. How does one become a "rebellious conformist"? Oxymoron?

ismeto: In the American idiom, "bad-***" has a patently positive connotation. "The C-class is bad-***!" means "The C-class is awesome!". It does not mean "The C-class has a horrible rear design."

I think I'm done with this thread. You guys can take it from here. Flame on! *whooooosh*
if bad-*** means is Awesome in American idiom What does it mean bad *** in American dictionary never mind

I am not big fun C Sportcoupe design too ... but again and again if I would buy 2 doors hatch I would buy C Sportcoupe again. if you look at yourself on mirror probably you are handsome from some angle and ugly some angle I always think same for C Sportcoupe C Sportcoupe changes its view where you look at it.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 PM

'05 C230 coupe auto
Hey I drive a C Coupe.
No compaints with it so far.
Could've gotten a C230 6-speed but I don't like 4 doors. Car is only for ME, if someone needs to be in the back, sure climb in but the rear doors ruin the look
Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 PM

09 E350

. . . .

Narky:

I appreciate your response, and no hard feelings whatsoever on my end. I think there are two things folks need to keep in mind when talking cars, and we all do it from time to time.

First off, everyone's entitled to an opinion, but we shouldn't beat each other over the head with each other's opinions. And we should state them respectfully. The *** of a baboon? That's a riot -- I laughed out loud -- even though our car, which is bordeaux red over charcoal leather, with the pano roof, is quite nice thank you. ;-) But it is likely to **** certain people off, no? Me, I don't really care what other people think so it doesn't really bother me. At the end of the day, it is just a car, so my point is we should be able to discuss things without getting so wound up. It's just a car, right? Just something to keep in mind.

Second, I know what you mean about people talking about other, non-German car as if they were automatically inferior. I am a car person. I love cars because of the machinery. Emblems don't cut if for me if they don't bring the proverbial goods -- Engine, transmission, suspension, safety, features, etc. I respect the fact that while the Germans have traditionally held the upper hand with driving dynamics, the Japanese luxury brands, and recently Cadillac (CTS-V is KICK ***!!!) have closed that gap to nil, and the Japanese do an awesome job with telematics and reliability (not to be confused with durability / longevity). That's one of the reasons why the price of a car doesn't mean that much to me in terms of status, but for a lot of people, maybe not that many here, it does, and so they throw stones, so to speak. To me, at the end of the day, if you are a car person, you should appreciate fine automobiles of all stripes. I do, and certainly Mercedes is a great car because they are built by people that love cars. It shows with every model, even if I think some of the configurations we get in the U.S. are bone-headed.

And on a lighter note, I do like your car. White with the pano roof and the 6 speed is a very nice choice. Now just wait until we get the direct injection engines in the 204. If I am lucky, I might even live to see a manual transmission in an E class sold in the U.S. I can dream, right?

Peace!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:35 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Translation, pleas

<<What is your 2 door car in the market ? Show us give name and shut up >>

If this had been directed at me, I would not have known whether I should be pissed or not. It just makes no sense at all. Just a jumble of out of sequence words.

Ismeto, (which I thought was Japanese for a long time and which might have explained the inscrutability) you may speak English of a sort but putting it on paper is not your strong suit.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE

If this had been directed at me, I would not have known whether I should be pissed or not. It just makes no sense at all. Just a jumble of out of sequence words.

Ismeto, (which I thought was Japanese for a long time and which might have explained the inscrutability) you may speak English of a sort but putting it on paper is not your strong suit.
I haven't been able to decipher much of what he's said on this thread. I think his intention is to attack/insult me, but I can't get mad because I don't know what he's saying. I did, however, understand his pictorial assault when he inserted "" into the sentence. He doesn't like me. Point taken.

Oh, and does any other American want to back me up when I say that "badass" is a positive term? I don't think he believes me, because in his eyes I'm generally an idiot not worth believing.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by RLE

I think ,first of all, you have to learn Humanity ( probably you hear this word first) before Japanese

if you do not understand term, sentences, words etc. in my messages Show exactly directly and clearly otherwise you speak cheaply

we don't speak English fluently because it is not our native language sorry misunderstanding but if you do not want people here who knows little english tell the Administrator, Moderator
Old 05-21-2008, 02:23 AM

I haven't been able to decipher much of what he's said on this thread. I think his intention is to attack/insult me, but I can't get mad because I don't know what he's saying. I did, however, understand his pictorial assault when he inserted "" into the sentence. He doesn't like me. Point taken.

Oh, and does any other American want to back me up when I say that "badass" is a positive term? I don't think he believes me, because in his eyes I'm generally an idiot not worth believing.
hey narky
see in your avatar info you drive White C 300 white is good choise but if I live in your Area I would go only for C350 Not C300
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ismeto
hey narky
see in your avatar info you drive White C 300 white is good choise but if I live in your Area I would go only for C350 Not C300
The C350 is not available in a manual transmission in my area, so no go. And the choice was mine, not yours, so it doesn't matter what you think.

Last edited by narky; 05-21-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by maryjcl
If I am lucky, I might even live to see a manual transmission in an E class sold in the U.S. I can dream, right?

Peace!
Yessss............... I don't think I would want a manual transmission S-class, but an E-class manual, I want. What about those AMG models? Ack!

I know that modern automatic transmissions are often faster than a human manually shifting. But what can I say, I love the physical motion of shifting.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 PM

'05 C230 coupe auto
Agree, it's the enjoyment of manual tranny.
I am always for manual trasmissions. I like when I drive the car, not the otherway around.
So good choice on a C300 stick