MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   IS350 or C350? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/245510-is350-c350.html)

ch1ldxtc 05-24-2008 04:45 AM

IS350 or C350?

Hey guys, I'm new at posting. I just wanted to grab some opinions from this thread which I check out a lot. I envy you guys with all the new cars! But I might have the chance to finally own an IS myself.

I'm doing research and I'm leaning more towards the IS. What do you guys suggest? I researched both cars. They are around the same price. The IS has many things going for it and if I'm correct, it has a backup camera, but the C350 does not. The IS has more power, and the gauges are a plus compared to the C350. Another plus is the push button start.

But what the C350 lacks in power, it makes up for in room, and the multimedia center. It has bluetooth standard and a more aggressive chassis. For some reason, theres something about the C-Class that draws me to it as well.

Please post some relevant reviews or comparisons between these two cars or give me your opinions for those who have already owned one. Thanks in advance.

rs1985 05-24-2008 07:56 AM

well
to name you one
the IS been out for a while already
so changes will probably be coming in the next yr or 2
so if you don't mind seeing new models coming out
also
you can see
the center console of the IS looks like a Toyota Camry
plastic feel to it
hmmmmmmm
another thing is that
it is not euro
my family drove both Japanese and Euro cars
the IS being one of the lowest model of lexus still have that cheap toyota feel where as Mercedes have a different feeling to it
the plus to the lexus is simple, more horse (i am not sure about the torque, cause it does count when you talk about speed), the seat feels better, and the after sales service is very good generally from lexus, and the cars are so well built that they are problem free most of the time
my mom's Lexus LX 450 didn't have any major problem before a drunk driver hit it, and trigger some issue(my mom and i were not hurt at all ) and we got the ML 500
so ya
i think Lexus will be a good choice if you don't mind seeing you NEW car being outdated in a year or 2
and the C 350 will be good if you like a higher end looking car, nicer interior, and safe
ya
i guess
that's all i have to say

jangy 05-24-2008 08:56 AM

I think rs85 summed it up pretty well. If you aren't getting the C, why not consider a 335i? The IS would be third in my list, just because the body is old and all the carolla stigma.

Derspeed 05-24-2008 09:00 AM

I think the answer you really want is in the Lexus forums. :)

No matter what Lexus does, their cars will never be German. My Dad has an IS 250, it's okay. That's all I think when I look at it. It still has that buzzy, busy Japanese feel when driven. To me, the interior is stark and unappealing. Some people think the C has cheap looking interior though. I like it.

Regarding power, the IS has more power than the C350, yes. A lot cars have more power than the IS and the C. They both have enough power. If you're worried about that, neither one of these cars is right.

For reference:

C350 268hp @ 6,000 rpm, 258 lb-ft of tq @ 2,400 - 5,000 rpm
IS 350 306hp @ 6,400 rpm, 277 lb-ft of tq @ 4,800 rpm

AMGTestDriverNJ 05-24-2008 11:03 AM

why does everyone think they need a backup camera?

VAHML350 05-24-2008 11:11 AM

Haven't driven the C, but have driven my girlfriend's IS. It's definately a nice car, however it is cramped. I have sat in the new C, and seems like there is more space, comfort for a taller person. The ride quality in the IS is nice, and is definately built well, but you dont get that engaging feel while driving like you do with a Mercedes or any other German car, including the 3-series (brother has one) and the A4 (recently test drove, but didnt purchase bc the new one model is coming out in the fall). Unfortunately the new C was not out at the time she got her IS, otherwise I would have strongly suggested the C. Just my $.02. Good luck with your decision!

CarGuru 05-24-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ (Post 2841345)

Yeah no kidding, I didn't even need one when I drove a big lifted 3/4 ton Dodge truck for three years...... Completely redundant on a little car like the C300. Soon you will be able to get one on the Smart.

-Ryan

jherbias 05-24-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ (Post 2841345)

Drivers can concentrate talking on their Bluetooth while sipping a latte.

I have driven the IS350 and I don't recommend it because the paddle shifters are a joke, if you like sports driving. That said, I've sat in a C350 at the San Diego Auto Show and the interior screamed cheapo and cost-cutting. Even some other C-class owners have felt the same on these boards.

If Lexus has that "cheap Toyota feel" to it, then the C-class has that "cheap-but-they'll-buy-it-anyway" Mercedes feel to it.

howie 05-24-2008 12:38 PM

335!!!! if not for you go C!!! IS should be last option unless (and it sounds like it to me) you really have already made up your mind for the Lexus and just wanted input.

joshieca 05-24-2008 02:40 PM

ahhh the good ole rice cars --- when you have three buttons for the air condition something is wrong; minimalist is much better....back up camera?? what are you like 70 years old, come on.

KIRA 05-24-2008 02:56 PM

what about the Toyota Pruis "park for you with no hand" feature?

joshieca 05-24-2008 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by KIRA (Post 2841581)
what about the Toyota Pruis "park for you with no hand" feature?

I hear they are giving away free 6 months of Depends with those cars too! :D

AMGTestDriverNJ 05-24-2008 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by jherbias (Post 2841443)
Drivers can concentrate talking on their Bluetooth while sipping a latte.

Haha, unfortunately thats probably true. If you need "help" to park your car or to see behind you you probably bought your license at a department store. These so called creature features are about as stupid/lazy as those lolipop holders that, when pressing the button, spins the lolipop in your mouth because your ass is too lazy to do it yourself. On a more serious note though, the more electronic features that Mercedes dumps into these cars the more likely YOU are to experience problems with them. Nobody needs this stuff. To decide whether or not to get a vehicle based on silly **** like this crazy to me! sorry!:nix:

jstaneff 05-24-2008 05:38 PM

Even the C is tall enough to obscure a 2-3 year old child who has decided to play in the driveway behind your car. So, you back up, and over the child.

The backup camera is one way to make such things less likely.

Even though you may be diligent, small children have the knack of getting into trouble.

While I can see this as a very good reason to have the backup camera, even at my advanced age (older than you!) I still twist around in my seat to see out the back.

kunz 05-24-2008 06:38 PM

I've driven both at the C drive and taste of Lexus events. I have to say the power of the IS350 is impressive, but the car is just too small. I am only 5'7" and i couldn't get into the back seat of the IS with the driver's seat in my setting. GL and hope you make the right choice for you.

M-bENZ 05-24-2008 06:52 PM

...dont matter what people say...the decision is your as long as you like it then buy it...no need to think twice, each of the car have their own advantage. I own both of lexus and Mercedes so trust me you wont regret if you buy Lexus....dont get me wrong I LOVE my CLK:y

jeyhun77 05-25-2008 08:59 AM

the FINAL decision really is up to you. The IS350 is a nice car, but I bought an Acura TL over the IS only because the TL was cheaper and had more features for less the money.

For the price to pay, I might as well spend it on a European car. The C won in my books because of the design. Exterior is a compact design, but the inside is very roomy. I'm 5'11" and I fell like a sardine in the IS350. I believe the IS350 has a bigger base than the C and I was shocked at how more interior space the C had.

As far as horse power is concerned, I don't believe horsepower is not the only deciding factor when it comes to performance. I've had my C for almost 1 month and have since put 3500 mi. I HAVE NEVER DRIVEN A SMOOTHER CAR!!!

Then again, IS350 or C300/C350 is up to you.... good luck and hope you enjoy.

Bubbles 05-25-2008 11:24 AM

IS is number one on the list of most expensive cars to insure.

Although I'd love the C350 with the IS's Navigation.

dalazernet 05-25-2008 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by CarGuru (Post 2841442)
Yeah no kidding, I didn't even need one when I drove a big lifted 3/4 ton Dodge truck for three years...... Completely redundant on a little car like the C300. Soon you will be able to get one on the Smart.

-Ryan

Well, lets be correct here - there is certainly a need for the backup camera on the Smart... if you were to back into something at 5 miles an hour you would ruin your bumper and break your rear axle... which would total the vehicle instantly ;-).

- Eric

angeloxnet 05-25-2008 12:50 PM

the lexus is pure comfort, interior is nice but only if u have NAV, otherwise it looks like a cheap toyota to me, i also LOVE the NAV, cool icons for all the major POI's instead of some cheap pixelated black & white icon that kinda looks like a dinner plate?

If I could have the IS nav in my C, id be one happy camper, but ya in my friend's IS..when he is driving position, there is 0 leg room behind him, unless u have no legs? or sit on your legs maybe?

The interior is cheapo looking on the C, but I think it is more practical, aggressive yet refined looking on the exterior.

benzlvr2500 05-26-2008 04:59 PM

Dude, its all up to you. performance wise, i would go with the IS (schooled my cousin's C350 in a drag race on an empty street). but overall, I would go with the C350 because of pure looks(its damn sexy) and practicality b/c the C350 has WAY more space than the IS.

aika 05-26-2008 05:15 PM

Am I too late? Did you already get your car? If so which one did you run with?

I'll give my thoughts since I was just deciding between the IS and the C300.

Power - not that big of a deal for me. If you want that, look for the new C63 AMG or M3. Then look at your mpg...And lets face it, I don't need it.

Looks - To me, the Cclass wins hands down. The IS is really nice, but it doesn't stand up to the benz.

Reliability - The Lexus is known for reliability. Having said that I feel Benz is on the come up and still and the newer models are above average. The drivetrain of the Benz is actually ranked higher than IS I believe, in JDPowers.

And I've been a fan of Benz for a long time. It was pretty much can other makers push the Benz off the top for me...

Both will be solid cars. Just drive both and buy the one you like more. Our advice doesn't mean much in reality.

jherbias 05-28-2008 01:16 AM

If you are still in the market, consider the new B8 Audi A4. It will come out near the end of the year. Underpowered compared to the competition, but their interiors are highly ranked among magazines. Even the B7 is a good car.

I drove a B7 2.0 FWD and although it is rated at 200 hp or thereabouts, it feels a lot faster than that. I was going 80 mph w/o realizing it. The Audi Symphony system (I think made w/ Bose) is a really good sound system, the car is quiet, and gets good fuel economy. The B8 is going to have even more efficient engines.