C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C63 Quad Exhaust Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK500 SPORT
thanks for the pics man looks good
Old 06-04-2008, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Nice work Gokalp! Impressive. Don't let the AMG guys see this.

Originally Posted by StickyZ
why is everything looks on the MB's forums? you guys want a 3.0 or a 3.5 motor to pull enough air through the intakes and create enough back pressure to warrant 4 channels of back end airflow? all your really doing is spending 2k to make your car slower, have virtually zero launch capabilities and look ridiculous (well i agree the amg quad look amazing but not on a virtually stock C.) will 6.3 and amg stickers be the next mod? if you want that quad exhaust to at least be effective, first you need to think from the front end...headers, down pipes, bigger TB, cams, otherwise all the decent low end torque these 3.0 and 3.5 motors make...gonzo.
Thanks for the insight...or something.

Last edited by Derspeed; 06-04-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Originally Posted by Derspeed
Nice work Gokalp! Impressive. Don't let the AMG guys see this.

Thanks for the insight...or something.

Yeah no kidding, I appreciate your pictures but am not too keen on the "AMG" badging.

-Ryan
Old 06-04-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500 SPORT
yeah not a big fan of the amg badges.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
GPI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 (sold), W204 (sold), W124
Originally Posted by gokalp
Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply, yes I do have some picture, and made a sound recording.

Car is original a W204 180K Avantgarde AMG package, so it is a four cilinder machine. This mod works also fine on a 200K or 6 cylinder machine, the 6 sound beter as I said before.

Limits on the picture size, at this forum but it give you an idea.
As you can see, one original pipe from the engine had to be split into a Y split. When this is done, test have to be done to see if the left and right have the same amount of exhaust gas. If not the Y split needs to be adjusted.

Bare in mind, this is a original C63 spare part exhaust, I had to get a C63 VIN to get it. The replica exhaust, as far as I understood, don't give the same "sound" as the original one.

And ... there is no problem with the warranty, as the parts are original, and build in by a dealer.

Cheers,

Gokalp
Hey Gokalp, could you take pics on the area where the mufflers are linked to the tips?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply, yes I do have some picture, and made a sound recording.

Car is original a W204 180K Avantgarde AMG package, so it is a four cilinder machine. This mod works also fine on a 200K or 6 cylinder machine, the 6 sound beter as I said before.

As you can see, one original pipe from the engine had to be split into a Y split. When this is done, test have to be done to see if the left and right have the same amount of exhaust gas. If not the Y split needs to be adjusted.

Bare in mind, this is a original C63 spare part exhaust, I had to get a C63 VIN to get it. The replica exhaust, as far as I understood, don't give the same "sound" as the original one.

And ... there is no problem with the warranty, as the parts are original, and build in by a dealer.

Cheers,

Gokalp
Looks freakin' awesome. But a single exhaust to quad exhaust? I wonder how much this wee bit of modification cost you. A pretty penny, I presume. I can hear my own wallet cracking open. *creeeeeeeeeek*

Not my style, but even the AMG badge looks fine. You do with your car as you wish, I say, as long as you don't put a "C63" in the back, right?

Sound clip as claimed?

Last edited by narky; 06-04-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Hi,

Cheers,

Gokalp
Looks awesome! One question, o you have the part number for the 4 tips? Is it possible to order only the tips?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by micropower99
Looks awesome! One question, o you have the part number for the 4 tips? Is it possible to order only the tips?

I'm an exhaust mod ignoramus. Will switching out just the tips affect (deepen) the exhaust note at all? Or is muffler and tip modification the only option for that effect?

I don't particularly want to change out the muffler, as my dealer probably will be a pain the the rear end when it comes to warranty issues, and I don't think the C300 would benefit much from any decrease in back pressure and increased airflow. I could be wrong, I guess.

What d'you guys think: how would no engine mod and just a muffler mod on a C300 affect the performance?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by narky

I'm an exhaust mod ignoramus. Will switching out just the tips affect (deepen) the exhaust note at all? Or is muffler and tip modification the only option for that effect?

I don't particularly want to change out the muffler, as my dealer probably will be a pain the the rear end when it comes to warranty issues, and I don't think the C300 would benefit much from any decrease in back pressure and increased airflow. I could be wrong, I guess.

What d'you guys think: how would no engine mod and just a muffler mod on a C300 affect the performance?
I'm also in the dark on exhausts but from what I heard from experience, only changing the tips would be cosmetic and have no other purpose. But changing the muffler will change the sound and performance. I heard a muffler mod could do up to 20hp depending on how restrictive the OEM was and how the quality is on the aftermarket.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

na
Guys,

Tip design plays an important role in sound. Many manufacturers overlook this, however it is a critical part of sound design and is approched by REMUS with this technique:

The red part in this diagram represents the sound deadening material. As you can see, it is also present in the tips. They are perforated and packed with steel wool. This helps prevent and eliminate resonance and drone at highway speeds.

Now to actual performance gains. A general rule of thumb is this, a car OEM exhaust will restrict the engine's performance by around 10%. This is a rule of thumb, remember, this will vary depending on your engine format, turbo, supercharged, N/A, etc.

To make a long story short, backpressure is an enemy, you do not need it, what you need is exhaust velocity. The error that most tuners do is oversize the piping on most applications but they use crush bends. Remus uses mandrel bends and reduces backpressure but keeps a proper exhaust velocity by using a suitable exhaust piping size.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by REMUS
Guys,

Tip design plays an important role in sound. Many manufacturers overlook this, however it is a critical part of sound design and is approched by REMUS with this technique:

The red part in this diagram represents the sound deadening material. As you can see, it is also present in the tips. They are perforated and packed with steel wool. This helps prevent and eliminate resonance and drone at highway speeds.

Now to actual performance gains. A general rule of thumb is this, a car OEM exhaust will restrict the engine's performance by around 10%. This is a rule of thumb, remember, this will vary depending on your engine format, turbo, supercharged, N/A, etc.

To make a long story short, backpressure is an enemy, you do not need it, what you need is exhaust velocity. The error that most tuners do is oversize the piping on most applications but they use crush bends. Remus uses mandrel bends and reduces backpressure but keeps a proper exhaust velocity by using a suitable exhaust piping size.
But thats only with your exhaust tips. Many of the other exhaust tips out there (aftermarket) are simply just tips with no packed wool in the tips. Thanks for the pic and explanation tho
Old 06-04-2008, 03:56 PM

W204
Hi,

To answer some questions:

-AMG logo, well, it looks nice for me.
-C63 logo, no don't over do it (yet)
-The quad tips, well I checked out the tips for dual it would have cost me 836 Euro ex tax.
-To much for single to quad! Yes, indeed it is. It's a hobby.

See pictures of the tips, the exhaust system is set behind the cat. Let say from the middel of the car to the rear end.

As for the driving experiance, I do feel a diffrence in driving, it's better. There is a BHP increase, but how much I don't know, and is not really the reason for the mod.

Cheers,

Gokalp

Last edited by gokalp; 06-09-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=REMUS;2864897]Guys,

To make a long story short, backpressure is an enemy, you do not need it, QUOTE]

Some have given good reason why you do need some backpressure. If you reduce backpressure too much you can lose low-end torque. I have actually experienced this using improperly tuned exhaust systems.

Here is a great explanation about why some backpressure is necessary:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/backpressure.html
Old 06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Banned

na
Such explanation is only applicable to complete systems, where catalysers are deleted. Does not apply for street usage.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi,

To answer some questions:

-AMG logo, well, it looks nice for me.
-C63 logo, no don't over do it (yet)
-The quad tips, well I checked out the tips for dual it would have cost me 836 Euro ex tax.
-To much for single to quad! Yes, indeed it is. It's a hobby.

See pictures of the tips, the exhaust system is set behind the cat. Let say from the middel of the car to the rear end.

As for the driving experiance, I do feel a diffrence in driving, it's better. There is a BHP increase, but how much I don't know, and is not really the reason for the mod.

Cheers,

Gokalp
So just the AMG tips from the dealer is 800 euro's? Do you have the part number for the tips? Thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Such explanation is only applicable to complete systems, where catalysers are deleted. Does not apply for street usage.
Then I would argue that none of the "science" applies to street usage. So you're saying backpressure is not necessary at all? How many of us will be driving in the higher RPM ranges making low-end torque unecessary?

I am just here to learn.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:25 PM

W204
Hi Miropower99,

To correct you, the dual cost around 800 Euro, so the ones the 6 cylinder machines have. The quad is unknow to me!

And indeed, the backpressure is needed, that was also a big concern during the build.

Cheers,

Gokalp

Last edited by gokalp; 06-04-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:34 PM
GPI
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 (sold), W204 (sold), W124
Thanks for the pics Gokalp!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

na
Originally Posted by Derspeed
Then I would argue that none of the "science" applies to street usage. So you're saying backpressure is not necessary at all? How many of us will be driving in the higher RPM ranges making low-end torque unecessary?

I am just here to learn.

A catalyser, for street usage, will provide MORE then enough backpressure to keep the needed torque at low RPM. Switching out you OEM muffler for a straight through design can only be beneficial in terms of TQ and HP. If we were talking about removing catalysers, I would definately agree with what you said.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A catalyser, for street usage, will provide MORE then enough backpressure to keep the needed torque at low RPM. Switching out you OEM muffler for a straight through design can only be beneficial in terms of TQ and HP. If we were talking about removing catalysers, I would definately agree with what you said.
Well then, I don't think we are disagreeing on this point.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 AM

w204/ c300 sport amg package & multimedia package
hi I want to get a c63 diffuser in miami ... I got amg kit already but Im getting really mad with this quad exhaust
Old 06-05-2008, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
put the 4 banger badge back on your car
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
put the 4 banger badge back on your car
Why?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
I've got all that **** on my car plus some and it still says C300 4Matic on the back. Either Debadge completely or leave it on there but don't start getting a head like you are driving a fast car because you have 4 pipes. Mine is a show car, thats how it will stay. Frankly, w/a 4 banger, so is yours. Once you all manage to get your diffuser and quads on don't think that entitles u2 AMG badges. Thats why
Old 06-05-2008, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
I've got all that **** on my car plus some and it still says C300 4Matic on the back. Either Debadge completely or leave it on there but don't start getting a head like you are driving a fast car because you have 4 pipes. Mine is a show car, thats how it will stay. Frankly, w/a 4 banger, so is yours. Once you all manage to get your diffuser and quads on don't think that entitles u2 AMG badges. Thats why
Are you paying for his car?

Don't worry. I don't wear fake Rolexes, and I won't ride fake C63s. I'm more of a debadge-everything-make-it-look-clean kinda guy. But that car isn't mine. It's HIS car.

Last edited by narky; 06-05-2008 at 11:49 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 Quad Exhaust Project