MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Car doing wierd stuff. (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/247004-car-doing-wierd-stuff.html)

AMGTestDriverNJ 06-04-2008 03:07 AM

Car doing wierd stuff.

The other day the car did two strange things. One which has happened one time since then. 1st thing was the window front about 1/4 of the way down, key off, in the ignition, would slide up, hit the top and come back down about half way. This happened about 6 times until I turned the car on again, off, opened the door closed it and closed the window again. 2nd thing was I have heard this awful weird noise coming from either the stereo or the mirror motor on the drivers side when I get into the car and close the door before I put my key in the ignition. It is real distinct and electronic sounding and you would know if you have heard it before. It doesn't seem to have affected anything but I wonder if it means something will be soon? Anybody seem similar symptoms?

ManchesterMerc 06-04-2008 05:20 AM

Regarding the window, I had a BMW Z4 that did exactly the same thing, in the end it was the electric motor that had to be replaced. The other problem can't help sorry.:nix:

theraj2 06-04-2008 03:11 PM

About the weird noise from the mirrors. Its right after you get in or get out and the windows have closed or opened... Its like a crying noise.(only thing i could think of) But it cant be that the mirriors need to be greased, b/c the sound happens after it opens or closes

chilledbenz 06-04-2008 03:11 PM

Do you have the power mirrors set to fold in when you lock the car? Not that I'm an expert on this or have any facts to back up my statement, but I've always been under the impression that if somethings moves its bound to wear out. I've turned that option off on my car as I really have no use for it, and I stayed away from the MultiMedia package for the same reason (flipping screen) those motors are bound to go sooner or later, good thing is as long as they go before 50k miles or 4 years they get replaced for free.

micropower99 06-04-2008 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by theraj2 (Post 2864860)
About the weird noise from the mirrors. Its right after you get in or get out and the windows have closed or opened... Its like a crying noise.(only thing i could think of) But it cant be when the mirror open or close, b/c the sound happens after it opens or closes

I have that problem too, its veryy annoying. Like a loud squeeking noise maybe 75% of the times I close or open my power folding mirror's. Took it to the dealer they BS'd me and said it was normal. My ass it was, it sounded like a fricken animal getting butchered. So next time I take my car to service I'll tell them again its still there, when I went b4 to reproduce the sound at the dealership of course it didn't do the sound. Damnit haha The one time I want the squeek lol

theraj2 06-04-2008 03:23 PM

"I have that problem too, its veryy annoying. Took it to the dealer they BS'd me and said it was normal. My ass it was, it sounded like a fricken animal getting butchered."

LMMAAAOOOO!! haha im taking it to my dealer to drive around with a foreman to show him a clunking problem, so I'll deff see what bs excuse my dealer has for me ;o)

micropower99 06-04-2008 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by theraj2 (Post 2864883)
"I have that problem too, its veryy annoying. Took it to the dealer they BS'd me and said it was normal. My ass it was, it sounded like a fricken animal getting butchered."

LMMAAAOOOO!! haha im taking it to my dealer to drive around with a foreman to show him a clunking problem, so I'll deff see what bs excuse my dealer has for me ;o)

hahaha

AMGTestDriverNJ 06-04-2008 03:51 PM

YES! Thats totally the same problem. What the hell is this? It does sound like an animal or something! It's awful! Lets figure this 1 out!

rb23lb 06-04-2008 05:57 PM

i have the same noise too... happened about 1 week after driving off the lot... assume it is some moisture that got into the cracks where the mirrors fold out or the locking mechanism when i go in the car...

no real solution other than some lube, but then it will just happen again over time...

this is a DESIGN FLAW

oblu 06-04-2008 07:38 PM

Dealer gave me a song and dance about having to reset how much the mirrors move. 2 days later squeeling was back.

At this point I'm leaving them to auto fold, even though I don't really need them to, just to that the motors break and the they're forced to deal with it.

narky 06-04-2008 08:01 PM

Good luck with your repairs, fellas. I feel for ya. This is exactly what I worried about when I was considering a Mercedes... :bs:

AMGTestDriverNJ 06-04-2008 08:23 PM

I'm happy to know that other people have at least heard it. Does anyone know the criteria for putting issues on the TSB list my Mercedes? Do the W204's have any yet?

nyca 06-04-2008 10:25 PM

did anyone try spraying the mirror at the moving joint with WD40?

rs1985 06-05-2008 05:23 AM

lol
the window issue was on my ml too

jrct9454 06-05-2008 09:58 AM

I agree that disabling the "automatic" function on the folding mirrors is the first thing I did when I got the car home. You can still do it from the driver's seat as necessary, but folding the mirrors every time is just inviting problems that don't need to be there, unless you park the car on the street overnight as a regular thing.

AMGTestDriverNJ 06-05-2008 12:05 PM

Did anyone hear the idea that for the north american W204's they decided to trade the memory seat function/seat adjustment on the door in favor of folding mirrors on our cars? I wish I could have voted on that one. :smash:

dalazernet 06-05-2008 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ (Post 2866321)
Did anyone hear the idea that for the north american W204's they decided to trade the memory seat function/seat adjustment on the door in favor of folding mirrors on our cars? I wish I could have voted on that one. :smash:

Ditto - but the power folding mirrors is rumored to be replaced by the memory seats on the '09 and up models. Granted, I didn't have a problem with my memory seats, but my mother's tried to kill her a few times (they replaced module after module and she finally disabled the auto "seat move back, steering wheel move up" features to play it safe)....

So yeah, I could go either way on the memory seats TBH.

The Mercster 06-05-2008 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by dalazernet (Post 2866351)
Ditto - but the power folding mirrors is rumored to be replaced by the memory seats on the '09 and up models. Granted, I didn't have a problem with my memory seats, but my mother's tried to kill her a few times (they replaced module after module and she finally disabled the auto "seat move back, steering wheel move up" features to play it safe)....

I have the memory function in mine, and now it's only the steering wheel that moves up, as part of the 'convenience entry/exit' function. They have permanently disabled the seats moving back element.

Mark08859 06-06-2008 01:11 PM

The window issue could be a reset problem. Don't know if this still apllies but you can try it:
  1. Lower your window all the way while holding the button down. Continue to hold it for 10 seconds after window is down.
  2. Raise your window all the way while holding the button down. Continue to hold it for 10 seconds after window is up.
That should reset your window to normal operation.

chilledbenz 06-06-2008 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by dalazernet (Post 2866351)

According to the window stickers on the C63 the memory seats are now part of the leather option. Meaning not standard but a "thrown in" when you drop $1500 on leather seats, nice to have the option of memory seats but still a stupid idea to yet again lump options we want in with other options we don't want (Xenon lights)

Kieffer 06-07-2008 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mark08859 (Post 2868372)
The window issue could be a reset problem. Don't know if this still apllies but you can try it:
  1. Lower your window all the way while holding the button down. Continue to hold it for 10 seconds after window is down.
  2. Raise your window all the way while holding the button down. Continue to hold it for 10 seconds after window is up.
That should reset your window to normal operation.

We've had to do this reset on every Benz we've owned (ironically, except for the C350). It's just a quirk you have to live with, I think. The reset procedure works really well.

vnc230 06-09-2008 05:48 AM

hahaha ...it seems like verybody has same problem ....my car also sounds like this when the driver mirror is opening and at ready position ...:bs: