MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   I vote that the C-class still wins over new E-class interior design (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/250176-i-vote-c-class-still-wins-over-new-e-class-interior-design.html)

The Mercster 06-27-2008 08:50 AM

C-class v upcoming E-class interior design - which is better?

2 Attachment(s)
I saw these spy pics of the new E-class interior which is meant to come out sometime next year.

As you can see, there's loads of similarities in the design concept. Eg, same instrument cluster; same radio stack; same steering wheel design; similar centre console design.

Obvious differences are: second permanent binacle houses the screen rather than pop-up; trim across passenger side of the dash; and finally gear lever moves to the steering wheel column, leaving a very large area on the tunnel which no doubt will be taken up by some very large cup-holders!

Overall, I still prefer the design of the C-class over the next level up E-class. The C's design has cleaner and more flowing lines across the dash and centre console area IMO. The passenger side trim is the only thing I would have liked in the c-class.

What's your views?

CarGuru 06-27-2008 10:02 AM

Oh my that is ugly, they could have blended it so nicely or hidden the display screen all together under a cover like in the W204?

-Ryan

dragonii 06-27-2008 10:22 AM

One thing I would like to have that is in the new E-Series is the extra space left by the moving of the gear lever. I really don't see the point of leaving it where it normally is for automatic cars. Also, since the C-Class doesn't have any commands sticks on the right side of the wheel, the gear lever would fit nicely there.

I suppose that the large cup holders are reserved for the US market :)

The Mercster 06-27-2008 10:35 AM

Notice that the only design element taken from the S-class is the aircon controls, which is switches rather than rotary knob like in the C-class.
If I were an E-class buyer, I would be a little peeved that I'm paying premium to buy into that market segment, and most of what I get is imported from a level down.

vcruiser 06-27-2008 10:55 AM

OMG

i hate that the S class .. CL ... and R class and now the E class dont have actualy shifters.

all they have is that thing from the steering wheel that u hit up or down.

feels like im driving a damn minivan everytime i put the S-class into gear.

im really not a fan of thaat thing at all.

i enjoy holding the shifter when i drive.

The Mercster 06-27-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by vcruiser (Post 2907727)

i enjoy holding the shifter when i drive.

Not in a naughty kind of way I hope :naughty:

But seriously, I know what you mean. I like holding it too. It must be like a driving habit thing.

Also, isn't a bit dangerous to have it as a stalk on the steering column if people inadvertently flick it instead of the turn signals. Particularly people who also drive Japanese cars as their turn signal stalk is usually on the right hand side of the column.

jstaneff 06-27-2008 11:17 AM

With the column mounted shifter and the foot brake, it seems that Mercedes is still firmly stuck in the 60s or 70s. Why do they feel that it's important to keep these vestiges of ancient interior design? Even their door pins are archaic.

Gimme a better design, or gimme back my ....

When the service department moves my shifter to the column is the day I get really angry at MB ;-)

vcruiser 06-27-2008 11:27 AM

i agree...
i would not drive a car without shifter.

it would have to AT LEAST be fast and have paddle shifters!

or else i would not drive an MB and id get myself something more fun.

but thats why i like the new C class

my c350 is sporty..kinda quick..nice looking and fun to drive!!

jgorman13 06-27-2008 11:54 AM

I feel like theres way too much going on in the interior of the new E.
It looks like they mashed together too many pieces from different cars on the line and figure it would look good.

imboom 06-27-2008 03:31 PM

I'm thinking that since it's a spy-model that its a temporary thing. I'm sure the W212 will see an improvement when it's ready.

I LOVE my friend's E55 W211 interior. I've got to say it's one of the nicest interiors I've ever seen.

cjh. 06-27-2008 05:23 PM

Ick. Looks decent, but why is the screen jammed waaaay back into the dash.

melbourne tim 06-27-2008 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dragonii (Post 2907679)
One thing I would like to have that is in the new E-Series is the extra space left by the moving of the gear lever. I really don't see the point of leaving it where it normally is for automatic cars. Also, since the C-Class doesn't have any commands sticks on the right side of the wheel, the gear lever would fit nicely there.

I suppose that the large cup holders are reserved for the US market :)

I think if MB is getting rid of the shifter from the centre, they should replace it with a rotary dial like the new Jaguar XF. Looks much more classy!

mac911 06-27-2008 10:51 PM

Absolute Yuck. I hate when the dash has a sweeping feel across it.

I prefer when the driver, passenger, and the middle console and stereo controls feel like 3 separate pieces as in the W204.

I also think the popup or covered screen was genius in the W204 and it's a shame they don't have that in the E.

aowhaus 06-28-2008 01:25 AM

I never like that huge nav screen hump in the middle of the dash (especially the ones BMW has).
What I don't like is the silver trim around the center vents. It stands out too much and it's not very well integrated -- like it was tacked on. Where some car makers make the vents blend into the interior, such as the VW Phaeton and Jaguar XF where the wood trim actually conseals the vents when not in use or on the Audi TT and A3 where it is crafted beautifully in aluminum, the E-class takes a not so attractive plastic vent and frames it with a thick piece of silver trim.

I actually like the interior of the S- and CL-class where it is more minimal and elegant and the vents and controls are not so apparent.
I'd rather spend a little more for a C63 than a nicely equipped new E-class. It may sound rather harsh, but you appreciate the time behind the wheel than outside of it and you get insane performance to boot.

C200k W204 06-28-2008 05:39 AM

mmmmmm paddle shifters.

btw, it doesn't seem that bad, maybe I am used to the S class interior but I personally find them quite comfortable. Yes E has a lot more buttons than the S but shoot, MB gotta be different for every class, or else who will buy E class?

The nav screen in the middle, I am assuming that it is being standard equipment thus the design of the dash. All S, CL, etc have that screen. Radio does seem a bit tacky though. Overall, not bad.

I still love how the C's interior looks :y

mac911 06-29-2008 02:03 AM

To get rid of center shifter, is sad, in my opinion.

AsianML 06-29-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Mercster (Post 2907752)
Not in a naughty kind of way I hope :naughty:

But seriously, I know what you mean. I like holding it too. It must be like a driving habit thing.

Also, isn't a bit dangerous to have it as a stalk on the steering column if people inadvertently flick it instead of the turn signals. Particularly people who also drive Japanese cars as their turn signal stalk is usually on the right hand side of the column.

The Japanese cars here have them on the left. I don't see how it could be a safety issue to be honest. It sounds like the same argument about the placement of the cruise control stalk.

chilledbenz 06-29-2008 09:47 PM

I'll save judgment until the production units arrive as we know from looking at the C spy photos, things are subject to change. By the way I love the shifter in my R class and wish MB would put it in all their cars, but I do miss the park tone that was in my 06 ML but its magically gone in the new cars. By the way, the nav screen...get used to it, the next refresh of the C will most likely go to that screen. Looks like my worries were the same as MB engineers, what moves is bound to break, and with the new GLK and the new E they decided to go with stationary screens like the ones in the S and CL. Its a nice gimmick to impress your friends but after driving a loaner car with the MM package I got annoyed quickly with the screen, I prefer the stock screen.

KuiDaCroat22 06-30-2008 02:12 AM

come on now

the C class is the base model of mercedes.....dont kid yourself, the E class is going to be better without even looking at it

dalazernet 06-30-2008 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by KuiDaCroat22 (Post 2911667)
the C class is the base model of mercedes.....dont kid yourself, the E class is going to be better without even looking at it

I say nay nay... They put that stupid automatic transmission shifter like the M-class into the new E... ugh. Give my transmission selecter on the floor any day!

chilledbenz 06-30-2008 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by dalazernet (Post 2912273)
I say nay nay... They put that stupid automatic transmission shifter like the M-class into the new E... ugh. Give my transmission selecter on the floor any day!

I love my R class shifter..plus it means you either get paddle shifters or buttons behind the wheel...and that seems to be what everyone here wants anyways.

KuiDaCroat22 06-30-2008 11:47 PM

+1....id love to have paddle shifters :cool: