MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Hit a Bump (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/251175-hit-bump.html)

theraj2 07-04-2008 11:14 PM

Hit a Bump

I was on the 95N today in CT and they were doing constuction and there was a bump in the road. I slowed down b4 i got to it, but the car jumped and sort of banged when it landed. I pulled over at the next exit, and checked the bottom out. The bottom of the front and back seemed ok. Could it have been the shocks that were compressing. I had it in S mode

trial0r 07-05-2008 12:02 AM

coulda just been the shocks bottoming if you dont see scrapes or anything on the bottom. were you airborn or something?

in my old b5 a4 i hit a cinder block in the road that ripped my transmission out.

mac911 07-05-2008 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by theraj2 (Post 2920751)
I was on the 95N today in CT and they were doing constuction and there was a bump in the road. I slowed down b4 i got to it, but the car jumped and sort of banged when it landed. I pulled over at the next exit, and checked the bottom out. The bottom of the front and back seemed ok. Could it have been the shocks that were compressing. I had it in S mode

I think you'll be ok. If the car still looks good, thats what counts.

Also, by the way, on U.S. cars, the suspension level isn't changed by S or C mode. That setting is just for the transmission.

theraj2 07-05-2008 09:10 AM

woah! i didnt even know that.... Thats how the dealers pitched the car to me, by saying you could tighten the suspension with a button. Oh well... Thanks guys

Savage c-300 07-05-2008 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by theraj2 (Post 2920989)
woah! i didnt even know that.... Thats how the dealers pitched the car to me, by saying you could tighten the suspension with a button. Oh well... Thanks guys

haha. your dealer is full of crap, you should go back and punch him in the face. :bs::rolf:

CarGuru 07-05-2008 08:57 PM

Good thing your not riding on the 18" AMG's I was in Pasadena, Ca with our car just cruising 30-35 mph down a normal street. There was no sign saying bump or construction or anything like that when I hit a similar type of thing. Car felt like it jumped up a few inches and bottomed the front suspension. I drove back around the block to see what I hit and it didn't look like a huge bump. At any rate my right side AMG 18" wheel has very subtle stress cracks in the painted area inside the spokes from the incident. The 18" AMG wheels are very, very soft guys so be careful and watch for bumps and potholes.

-Ryan

-

RLE 07-05-2008 09:21 PM

Gullible

Originally Posted by theraj2 (Post 2920989)

And you have owned this car for how long?

theraj2 07-05-2008 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2921632)
And you have owned this car for how long?

Guy, I didnt buy the car b/c you could change the suspension... I bought it b/c of the unique design of the car... Yea im gulible right.... thats why i have a fully loaded for 2500 lower than sticker on a car that didnt dock as yet.... Thanks ;-)

mac911 07-06-2008 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by theraj2 (Post 2921671)
Guy, I didnt buy the car b/c you could change the suspension... I bought it b/c of the unique design of the car... Yea im gulible right.... thats why i have a fully loaded for 2500 lower than sticker on a car that didnt dock as yet.... Thanks ;-)

Don't worry about it man. I felt bad telling you about it, but none of the U.S. cars have the adjustable suspension. That is part of the advanced agility package in Europe and maybe Canada for the next year.

However, it does have agility control suspension, which is a damper inside a damper, to give you a softer ride in regular driving, and firmer suspension, when doing hard cornering and whatnot.

It's still a sweet car! Enjoy it! Hey ,one less gizmo to break someday :)

C200k W204 07-07-2008 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by CarGuru (Post 2921615)
Good thing your not riding on the 18" AMG's I was in Pasadena, Ca with our car just cruising 30-35 mph down a normal street. There was no sign saying bump or construction or anything like that when I hit a similar type of thing. Car felt like it jumped up a few inches and bottomed the front suspension. I drove back around the block to see what I hit and it didn't look like a huge bump. At any rate my right side AMG 18" wheel has very subtle stress cracks in the painted area inside the spokes from the incident. The 18" AMG wheels are very, very soft guys so be careful and watch for bumps and potholes.

-Ryan

-

I should check my wheels more carefully, didn't know they were that weak

jbec.keane 07-07-2008 02:19 PM

I hit that bump Thursday night. There must have been half a dozen cars pulled over with flat tires because of that bump. I think the only thing it did to me was cause my "Brake Wear" message to come on. The brakes aren't old enough to need replacing yet.

JK