C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

List of PCMCIA adapters and Memory that works.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
I've been using a 16gb compact flash card in a pcmcia to CF adapter and its been working pretty well. But I tried a 32gb card and for some reason, it can't see all my folders. The folders don't have but 12 files in them.

So others have had success with 32gb compact flash cards?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S204 C220 CDI, VW Scirocco III 1.4TSI 160
I bought the OEM PCMCIA SD adapter and it works with all SD(HC)
Old 04-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Originally Posted by ctgilles
I bought the OEM PCMCIA SD adapter and it works with all SD(HC)
Even up to 32gb?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Shellbmb
I've been using a 16gb compact flash card in a pcmcia to CF adapter and its been working pretty well. But I tried a 32gb card and for some reason, it can't see all my folders. The folders don't have but 12 files in them.

So others have had success with 32gb compact flash cards?
I have not used higher than 16 GB Compact Flash and 8 GB SD HC cards (simply because I don't have larger cards) but from the W221 forum (at least) you can find a few owners using Transcend 32 GB cards. If they work on a 221, they must work on a 204.

Do you really mean that you only have 12 files on the card? Then it would not be a max number of files or folders issue. Are you sure the files are of correct type?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
I bought a 8GB PNY SD card and it does NOT work. Everytime I load it into my PCMCIA adapter and into the car, it will just be stuck on "reading memory card..." After moving the joystick it then will read "No readable files."

I've tried reformatting the card, reinstalling the songs, nothing. My other SanDisk 32mb (haha) SD card works fine.

EDIT: Just read another thread and think I found my answer. My PCMCIA adapter must not support HD SD cards or cards up to 8GB...bummer.

Last edited by nrgy; 04-24-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Almost a Member!

'08 C350 Sport
Sorry for reviving the topic but this is something that I had just recently been trying to implement for my car. I'm getting sick of burning new CDs all the time and need a better way. I do have the ridiculous iPod integration kit ($375) but I don't have an iPod, lol.

Anyways, googling has led me to believe there are two versions of SanDisk 6-in-1 PCMCIA adapters (SDHC support and non-SDHC). The non-SDHC support is quite expensive ($80-$100) and can be found on Amazon. The SDHC support is nowhere to be found but I know it used to exist because I found an image of it. You can look at the images attached and discern which ones are SDHC and non-SDHC. If someone has a link where SDHC support is in stock to buy and could post a link, that would be great.

Another issue is that since PCMCIA is a rather relatively older interface and has two different versions (16bit and 32bit). I'm not sure if the MB MM system would be able to handle the newer and faster 32bit interface but I'm thinking that it would be safe to just purchase a 16bit one. From previous reports, others have addressed that the Viking 5-in-1 PCMCIA 32bit adapter hasn't worked for them. The only logical assumption that I could make from this is that the MB MM doesn't support 32bit. If anyone has tried and had a 32bit PCMCIA adapter work, please post a link of that make/model.

Looking at it from a cost perspective. SDHC seems to be cheaper than going with the alternative Compact Flash (CF) method.

SDHC method
PCMCIA adapter supporting SDHC (about $20 on eBay)
16GB SDHC flash memory card (about $15-$20 on eBay)

CF method
PCMCIA adapter supporting CF (about $10 anywhere)
16GB CF memory card (about $50-$100 on eBay)

Basically, I went with the SDHC method ($35 total) on eBay and will report later whether it works.
---------------------------------------

More Information on this topic (scattered on MBWorld)
MM Package and Memory Card - SDHC
Help me find a Sandisk SDHC to PCMCIA reader!
Trying to get songs on my system
pcmcia - pc card and hdd
Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 PM

C300 4matic Sport, CBR 954
which adapeter did u buy on ebay? how does it work? wanted to go that route too but i can buy a cf converter for 10 bucks and a 4gb card for 20 bucks but would rather go sd, let me know how it works out for u, thanks.

Originally Posted by akuma84
Sorry for reviving the topic but this is something that I had just recently been trying to implement for my car. I'm getting sick of burning new CDs all the time and need a better way. I do have the ridiculous iPod integration kit ($375) but I don't have an iPod, lol.

Anyways, googling has led me to believe there are two versions of SanDisk 6-in-1 PCMCIA adapters (SDHC support and non-SDHC). The non-SDHC support is quite expensive ($80-$100) and can be found on Amazon. The SDHC support is nowhere to be found but I know it used to exist because I found an image of it. You can look at the images attached and discern which ones are SDHC and non-SDHC. If someone has a link where SDHC support is in stock to buy and could post a link, that would be great.

Another issue is that since PCMCIA is a rather relatively older interface and has two different versions (16bit and 32bit). I'm not sure if the MB MM system would be able to handle the newer and faster 32bit interface but I'm thinking that it would be safe to just purchase a 16bit one. From previous reports, others have addressed that the Viking 5-in-1 PCMCIA 32bit adapter hasn't worked for them. The only logical assumption that I could make from this is that the MB MM doesn't support 32bit. If anyone has tried and had a 32bit PCMCIA adapter work, please post a link of that make/model.

Looking at it from a cost perspective. SDHC seems to be cheaper than going with the alternative Compact Flash (CF) method.

SDHC method
PCMCIA adapter supporting SDHC (about $20 on eBay)
16GB SDHC flash memory card (about $15-$20 on eBay)

CF method
PCMCIA adapter supporting CF (about $10 anywhere)
16GB CF memory card (about $50-$100 on eBay)

Basically, I went with the SDHC method ($35 total) on eBay and will report later whether it works.
---------------------------------------

More Information on this topic (scattered on MBWorld)
MM Package and Memory Card - SDHC
Help me find a Sandisk SDHC to PCMCIA reader!
Trying to get songs on my system
pcmcia - pc card and hdd
Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by akuma84
I'm afraid you are not comparing apples to apples (if it is possible with CF and SD cards), the point being that most of the CF cards are intended for high end digital SLR cameras and have to be very fast to allow continuous RAW shooting.

CF has more reliable connectors for a camera or car environment but now that cell phones use a lot SD cards, even some cameras today, the SD cards have become cost competitive.

Speed is not important in the car when playing music, it mainly affects the time it takes to play after the card is inserted and of course the time it takes to download files from a PC.

I have used both out of curiosity but I would recommend buying the card type that one would possibly use with other devices too. Actually for me it means CF for SLR and micro-SD cards for cell phones.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I'm afraid you are not comparing apples to apples (if it is possible with CF and SD cards), the point being that most of the CF cards are intended for high end digital SLR cameras and have to be very fast to allow continuous RAW shooting.

CF has more reliable connectors for a camera or car environment but now that cell phones use a lot SD cards, even some cameras today, the SD cards have become cost competitive.

Speed is not important in the car when playing music, it mainly affects the time it takes to play after the card is inserted and of course the time it takes to download files from a PC.

I have used both out of curiosity but I would recommend buying the card type that one would possibly use with other devices too. Actually for me it means CF for SLR and micro-SD cards for cell phones.

good point and i do agree, plus at frys u can get the adapter for 10 bucks and a 4 gb cf card for 20 buck which is aobut the same as if u bought the sd with the adapter, then only thing thats a disvantage would be that most labtops dont have a cf slot but do have a sd card slot, for me its not that trivial cuz i would do most of my uploading at home but it might to others.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CrAZyVeGAsBoY
then only thing thats a disvantage would be that most labtops dont have a cf slot but do have a sd card slot, for me its not that trivial cuz i would do most of my uploading at home but it might to others.
My ThinkPad does not have and SD slot, neither CF. It only has a PCMCIA slot which is a good match with the car. Of course I can use my USB adapters too but the PCMCIA slot is very good with laptop too as the memory card remains hidden in the slot, equally as in the car. In any case, one important argument to be considered.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:35 AM

W204
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PCMCIA-Card-A...3A1%7C294%3A50

I just bought this and it and works well with my SD and SDHC cards.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 AM

2009 C300S 6mt
thks for sharing.

what was the highest capacity sdhc card that you used?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 PM

w205 - Black
Originally Posted by mrjsw

Thanks for sharing. Based on this, I just ordered one myself; hoefully it will work well for me also (plan to use it with my 8gb microsdhc with adapter).
Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrjsw

on this one or another thread someone said that card reader is defective and broke on him.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:08 PM

My ThinkPad does not have and SD slot, neither CF. It only has a PCMCIA slot which is a good match with the car. Of course I can use my USB adapters too but the PCMCIA slot is very good with laptop too as the memory card remains hidden in the slot, equally as in the car. In any case, one important argument to be considered.

if ur thinkpad dosent have neither then u must a an old version comp, but the sad truth is that pcmica cards r a thing of the past, its old tech that is not even sold in stores hardly anymore, its all about the sd cards or cf, no need for a converter anymore, i wanted to go sd cuz there cheap to buy and is a standard on every labtop/computer now a days but to save a buck i might just get the cf. its sad that a 2008 car had old tech like that but it is a nice feature to have i will agree.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if ur thinkpad dosent have neither then u must a an old version comp, but the sad truth is that pcmica cards r a thing of the past, its old tech that is not even sold in stores hardly anymore, its all about the sd cards or cf, no need for a converter anymore, i wanted to go sd cuz there cheap to buy and is a standard on every labtop/computer now a days but to save a buck i might just get the cf. its sad that a 2008 car had old tech like that but it is a nice feature to have i will agree.
My Thinkpad is a T61, one year old now. I guess you can call it an old computer. This is supposed to be a workhorse, not a home multimedia centre.

But current Lenovo models have changed to this new, similar but smaller slot, express card I believe. Still no SD card slot.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shellbmb
Even up to 32gb?
I believe there is no size limit. 16GB worked fine. Using 4 atm because I update the music often.

Thinkpad T-series > any other laptop. They still don't have SD slots afaik, it's a business laptop and no multimedia house. I just use a USB adapter (that came with the Sandisk MicroSD).

What I don't understand: They make BT but don't have the BT Audio function?? Dumb move. Wireless connections to my LG would be great.

Last edited by ctgilles; 05-21-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They make BT but don't have the BT Audio function?? Dumb move. Wireless connections to my LG would be great.
The odd thing is that the UMI kit does support audio streaming over BT. I don't know if it comes from a different supplier or what would be the reason Comand/MM or even the standard Audio 20 with BT do not have this BT profile.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 AM

The odd thing is that the UMI kit does support audio streaming over BT. I don't know if it comes from a different supplier or what would be the reason Comand/MM or even the standard Audio 20 with BT do not have this BT profile.
They "punish" people who buy their top options
Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM

My Thinkpad is a T61, one year old now. I guess you can call it an old computer. This is supposed to be a workhorse, not a home multimedia centre.

But current Lenovo models have changed to this new, similar but smaller slot, express card I believe. Still no SD card slot.
well maybe its a US thing but sd's r pretty much a standard here.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well maybe its a US thing but sd's r pretty much a standard here.
I don't find laptops very different for different markets. If not most, at least many have memory card slots equally in Europe or Asia. My Thinkpad just comes from an international company and our employees have the same selection of laptops in our US offices too. Thinkpad after all was previously an IBM product, could not be much more American I would say (be it good or bad). I guess these all come from Asia or Ireland these days...

The point anyway was that people have other devices that use memory cards, CF or SD or something else, equally their laptops or desktops may appear different and this may affect the memory card selection for the car.

I'm already repeating myself, like others, sorry for that, I'll leave that for other threads now.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Anyone who have tried 32gb SDHC with success in their COMAND?

A bit pricey to buy just to try if it works..
Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 AM

I don't find laptops very different for different markets. If not most, at least many have memory card slots equally in Europe or Asia. My Thinkpad just comes from an international company and our employees have the same selection of laptops in our US offices too. Thinkpad after all was previously an IBM product, could not be much more American I would say (be it good or bad). I guess these all come from Asia or Ireland these days...

The point anyway was that people have other devices that use memory cards, CF or SD or something else, equally their laptops or desktops may appear different and this may affect the memory card selection for the car.

I'm already repeating myself, like others, sorry for that, I'll leave that for other threads now.

that may be true, i dont really know europe spec computers but as for the US its pretty rare to find new comp with a pcmica slot because the set standard for us here is sd, cf, or a couple of others, if a pcmica slot is used it usually for internet purposes but that too is being phased out due to wireless connections, again im speaking for US not anywhere else where pcmica is still maybe a standard. lol i too am going on a tangent with this one
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 AM

that may be true, i dont really know europe spec computers but as for the US its pretty rare to find new comp with a pcmica slot because the set standard for us here is sd, cf, or a couple of others, if a pcmica slot is used it usually for internet purposes but that too is being phased out due to wireless connections, again im speaking for US not anywhere else where pcmica is still maybe a standard. lol i too am going on a tangent with this one
Again, Thinkpads never have card slots. The PCMCIA slot is only there for an extra HDD or wireless apps. A Thinkpad has reinforced titanium chassis, HDD airbag protection with a fall/shock sensor and things like a gutter under your keyboard to evacuate liquids if you spill. It's a business and rendering laptop. Mine was drenched in a liter of cola, has fallen thousands of times and hasn't really been "off" for the last 3 years. That's what counts.
My gf has an MSI and they have SD but built-in readers are nothing more to me than gimmicks, my card even gets stuck in it. Obviously, I don't like trend to build in 10 devices to 1 device. Or "multimedia & gaming" laptops, it's not what it was originally developped for.

Ontopic: I'm getting a 32GB to test if it works (we have a economic law here stating I can refuse any object with full refund within a week of arrival for sales over distance like the internet)

Last edited by ctgilles; 05-22-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:08 AM

Again, Thinkpads never have card slots. The PCMCIA slot is only there for an extra HDD or wireless apps. A Thinkpad has reinforced titanium chassis, HDD airbag protection with a fall/shock sensor and things like a gutter under your keyboard to evacuate liquids if you spill. It's a business and rendering laptop. Mine was drenched in a liter of cola, has fallen thousands of times and hasn't really been "off" for the last 3 years. That's what counts.
My gf has an MSI and they have SD but built-in readers are nothing more to me than gimmicks, my card even gets stuck in it. Obviously, I don't like trend to build in 10 devices to 1 device. Or "multimedia & gaming" laptops, it's not what it was originally developped for.

Ontopic: I'm getting a 32GB to test if it works (we have a economic law here stating I can refuse any object with full refund within a week of arrival for sales over distance like the internet)

good to know and that suks for u guys having no sd slot and sounds like a great labtop but i cant agree with u that sd cards/slots suk, yes some on some labtops arent perfect but honestly theres really no need for pcmica slots as much anymore when u got usb and mutlicard readers, so sometime in the near future it will become as obsolete as a zip drive but i do agree its more durable, it is better in that aspect but its far bulkier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: List of PCMCIA adapters and Memory that works.