MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Australian W204 => please post any issue u had so far or any feedback on the new car (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/253349-australian-w204-please-post-any-issue-u-had-so-far-any-feedback-new-car.html)

milsons200 07-21-2008 10:48 AM

Australian W204 => please post any issue u had so far or any feedback on the new car

Good'ay

Just wondering if you have any issue with the W204 so far, any feedback you would like to add here are more than welcome :D

Carsy 07-21-2008 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by milsons200 (Post 2948358)
Good'ay

Just wondering if you have any issue with the W204 so far, any feedback you would like to add here are more than welcome :D

I have 3 rattles which I will ask to be fixed under warranty.
1.In panel behind passenger side rear top seat belt mounting.
2. In passenger side door behind handle.
3. Under pop up screen.

The diesel has had the high pressure fuel line replaced under recall for a slight weep at pipe union. My car did not have the symptom .

Other wise it is a very pleasing vehicle to drive although it does not ride out the rural bumps as well as my Peugeot 405 did!!

Alsocute 07-22-2008 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by milsons200 (Post 2948358)
Good'ay

Touch wood, so far so good. No major issue yet, though only have the car for 4 months. Only 2 minor issues.

1) squeaky mirror on the driver side when folding/unfolding for about 3 days. Happen twice when I had the car for about 1 month and 2 month. Haven't happened since. (I did end up spray some WD-40 around the joint)

2). When the sun shine directly on the MM through the windscreen. Some time I heard plastic popping sound once or twice. I can live with it. Perhaps just the heat slightly expanding the plastic.

Other than that, so far so good.

milsons200 07-22-2008 07:47 AM

Issues from my car:

1. squeaky mirror => fixed itself

2. Steering pull left (have to held to right to counter the pulling) => drive me crazy .... will see dealer to get it fix soon

3. Rattle around the pop up screen => hasn't fix yet. Not sure if this is normal ?

Other than the above, all pretty good i guess, have to wait till the car is more than 20,000KM then provide more feedback.

lx Raven xl 07-22-2008 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Alsocute (Post 2949984)
Touch wood, so far so good. No major issue yet, though only have the car for 4 months. Only 2 minor issues.

1) squeaky mirror on the driver side when folding/unfolding for about 3 days. Happen twice when I had the car for about 1 month and 2 month. Haven't happened since. (I did end up spray some WD-40 around the joint)

2). When the sun shine directly on the MM through the windscreen. Some time I heard plastic popping sound once or twice. I can live with it. Perhaps just the heat slightly expanding the plastic.

Other than that, so far so good.

Squeaking mirrors happens because you wash the car with mirrors closed , which allows the water to get in the surface where the mirror base meets the holder for the mirror. Keep the mirrors open when in rain or when washing car.

lx Raven xl 07-22-2008 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by milsons200 (Post 2950216)
Issues from my car:

2. Steering pull left (have to held to right to counter the pulling) => drive me crazy .... will see dealer to get it fix soon

3. Rattle around the pop up screen => hasn't fix yet. Not sure if this is normal ?

Other than the above, all pretty good i guess, have to wait till the car is more than 20,000KM then provide more feedback.

steering pulls left means the one of the front wheel is not balanced. Get them checked before the threads on the tyres are used unevenly causing you to get the tyre replaced more quickly than normal kilos.

melbourne tim 07-22-2008 10:19 AM

I've had mine for 1 month. The only problem so far is that I can't seem to copy my music from CD into the hard drive. Everyone else on the forum seems to have had no trouble.

My fuel consumption is a fair bit higher than expected. I previously drove a BMW E90 320D and have been averaging about 7.0L/100km mixed driving. (Official figure is 6.7).

My C220cdi has the same official fuel consumption but is averaging 8.2L/100km. I've done 1600km and it doesn't seem to have dropped. Will just have to wait and see.

Otherwise, no rattles or any other complaints.

Blamex 07-23-2008 01:07 AM

My car arrived brand new just over a month ago with the AMG Sports Package and the Vision Package (with active headlights and panoramic sunroof) and a few other options here and there.

The car is beautifully built and very solid. It handles very well - very agile yet comfortable. I have driven 2,000 kms and have no complaints whatsoever. The C320's V6 desiel engine is powerful and sounds great- it just purrs like a tiger when cruising and has a deep roar when accelerating. I am extremely happy with my C320.

90% of my driving comprises city driving so my fuel consumption is nowhere near the 7.4 litres/100km average. Not to mention, I love the acceleration on the car so this does not help with fuel consumption either.

ayilar 02-21-2009 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 2949172)
3. Under pop up screen.

Have those issues been solved? In case #1, did the problem partly disappear by opening the folding rear seat?

Forest Jim 02-21-2009 07:37 PM

Only problem is "Skipping and Jumping" wind screen wipers.

Back 3 times and still not fixed.

iapboy 02-21-2009 09:32 PM

Yeah i have had the wiper issues too, skipping and sometimes very noisy. Will ask the dealer when it goes in for a wash.

Also had the pull to the left, it was only very slight but seems to be fixed when it went back to the dealer.

Also had the rattles from the car too, the front where the hood over gauges, and from the rear (i believe behind the passenger seats) they are only happening over really bad road surfaces so might be just due to that....

Carsy 02-21-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsy
3. Under pop up screen.

Have those issues been solved? In case #1, did the problem partly disappear by opening the folding rear seat?

The rattle on rear parcel shelf was repaired by dealer. The other two rattles resolved themselves!! I did also notice that the sun visors rattled in their mountings in certain positions. I solved this by wrapping the pin with electrical insulating tape!!

Martin in Australia 02-22-2009 02:40 AM

All good in a C220Cdi at 20,000km :)

cdye12 02-22-2009 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 3367466)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsy
3. Under pop up screen.

The rattle on rear parcel shelf was repaired by dealer. The other two rattles resolved themselves!! I did also notice that the sun visors rattled in their mountings in certain positions. I solved this by wrapping the pin with electrical insulating tape!!

If you don't mind me asking, what did the dealer do to your rear parcel shelf to remedy the noise?

woodg62 02-22-2009 06:07 AM

At only 750kms as yet, the only problem I have is "Skipping and Jumping" wind screen wipers. I've not reported it yet as I only noticed it last week.

Other than that my C220CDI is going great!

Carsy 02-22-2009 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by cdye12 (Post 3367797)
If you don't mind me asking, what did the dealer do to your rear parcel shelf to remedy the noise?

I am sorry but I did not ask. As in interm measure before seeing the dealer I stuffed a lot of pieces of foam up the holes under the parcel shelf (access from boot) which solved the problem.

cdye12 02-22-2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 3368401)
I am sorry but I did not ask. As in interm measure before seeing the dealer I stuffed a lot of pieces of foam up the holes under the parcel shelf (access from boot) which solved the problem.

Yeah, it seems the parcel shelf (made of plastic) likes to flex with the body roll causing a discernible squeak. So far (09 w/ 2300 miles) that's the only problem that I've run into.

hadjionm 02-22-2009 09:04 PM

I have had the car since August, and have travelled about 7,500 kms. Only issues have been:
1. On about 3 occasions in the last 6 months, which lasted from about one to two weeks, the car seems to brake when you take your foot off the accelerator. This is most noticeable in slow moving traffic, with a lot of start/stop. Instead of coasting along as you expect, it suddenly decelerates, as if it is changing down a gear, or the brakes are being applied. It is not doing it at the moment (has been OK for about a week). Seems to come and go with no reason I can discern.
2. Ride seems to be very bouncy at times (these times seem to line up with the times of problem 1. above - may be my imagination!). I don't understand whether there is anything in the car which can change the ride comfort from one day to the next. It seems OK at present. I am careful to check the tyre pressure, and keep it low to soften the ride (i.e. no more than 29-30psi front and 32-33 psi back).
3. A had a squeaking/ticking sound in the front passenger area. Turned out to be the shelf in the glove box. Have jiggled it about and it has not done it for a while.

Carsy 02-23-2009 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by hadjionm (Post 3368906)
I have had the car since August, and have travelled about 7,500 kms. Only issues have been:
1. On about 3 occasions in the last 6 months, which lasted from about one to two weeks, the car seems to brake when you take your foot off the accelerator. This is most noticeable in slow moving traffic, with a lot of start/stop. Instead of coasting along as you expect, it suddenly decelerates, as if it is changing down a gear, or the brakes are being applied. It is not doing it at the moment (has been OK for about a week). Seems to come and go with no reason I can discern.
2. Ride seems to be very bouncy at times (these times seem to line up with the times of problem 1. above - may be my imagination!). I don't understand whether there is anything in the car which can change the ride comfort from one day to the next. It seems OK at present. I am careful to check the tyre pressure, and keep it low to soften the ride (i.e. no more than 29-30psi front and 32-33 psi back).
3. A had a squeaking/ticking sound in the front passenger area. Turned out to be the shelf in the glove box. Have jiggled it about and it has not done it for a while.

Re #1 . I find too that the 5 speed auto box changes down when slowing & coming to a standstill resulting in engine braking. To my mind this is normal. We live on a very steep 1 KM hill & I can descend in 1st gear with the A/C on without braking. The only other cause I can think of is that when the windscreen wipers are operation the pads feather the discs to keep them warm. This may result in a slightly faster deceleration.I had a chance the other day with the weeks rain we have had ,to check what effect this brake feathering had on the fuel consumption. An a standard 35 km run the fuel consumption increased from the normal 5.1 L/100 km to 6.0 L /100km.So there is a definite measurable effect.

Re #2 There is no electronic adjustment to our suspension dampers . I understand that they are like aircraft struts ie the harder the landing the more the struts tighten up to become harder. If you travel faster over bumps the suspension will feel less comfortable. I don't know whether we are becoming more used to the car or the suspension is becoming more pliable but is seems to suit better now. ie 12,000 km.

xpac_aus 02-23-2009 04:23 AM

Have had mine since July last year now... and a couple of problems here and there. nothing too major but just left frustrated by service from dealer.

1) Flickering lines on Command Screen. Both Command Unit and Screen were changed.
2) Parking sensors going off for no reason...turned out to be due to the number plate cover.3) Not sure whether this was an issue or not. I did not feel the a/c was cold enough. Got it checked...they topped up gas and replaced an 0-ring. Not much change noticed. Had the service guy driving with me after all that with a temp sensor and at 16deg, the inside temp was still about 24deg. They checked this on 4 different c-classes and apparently it is the same....

Mike20 02-23-2009 06:54 AM

I have done 15,000 km so far in my C280. Some of the problems encountered so far are :

Wiper blades skip and hop. It seems the quality of the windscreen is very poor which causes this problem ie it seems to be uneven

Engine is very noisy for about 20 seconds after start up

At idle speed the engine(once warmed up to operationg temperature) makes a dull noise like a jack hammer at a distance.

Rattle from front passenger door - sounds like a loose flap.

The navigation system is a total lemon eg it instructs right turn where there are no right turns allowed , right turn onto an overpass (impossible !), turn into a one way street in the wrong direction etc. I am very unhappy with it. A recent software upgrade has made no difference to these problems

Slight hesitation before acceleration kicks in. I am told this is normal

Sun roof stutters when opening and closing

Ton91 03-02-2009 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by milsons200 (Post 2950216)
Issues from my car:

Did your #2 problem has been fixed?
My car also has the steering pull left problem and it's also drive me crazy.
If it has been fixed, what did they tell you about the cause of this problem?

hadjionm 03-02-2009 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 3369536)
Re #1 . I find too that the 5 speed auto box changes down when slowing & coming to a standstill resulting in engine braking. To my mind this is normal. We live on a very steep 1 KM hill & I can descend in 1st gear with the A/C on without braking. The only other cause I can think of is that when the windscreen wipers are operation the pads feather the discs to keep them warm. This may result in a slightly faster deceleration.I had a chance the other day with the weeks rain we have had ,to check what effect this brake feathering had on the fuel consumption. An a standard 35 km run the fuel consumption increased from the normal 5.1 L/100 km to 6.0 L /100km.So there is a definite measurable effect.

Re #2 There is no electronic adjustment to our suspension dampers . I understand that they are like aircraft struts ie the harder the landing the more the struts tighten up to become harder. If you travel faster over bumps the suspension will feel less comfortable. I don't know whether we are becoming more used to the car or the suspension is becoming more pliable but is seems to suit better now. ie 12,000 km.

Hi Carsy,
Thanks for the reply.

With respect to #1, my car seems to go for a period where this braking effect is not noticeable, and then it will start to do it for a few days, to a couple of weeks. It may be normal as you say, and I need to get used to it. It certainly is not due to "feathering" of the brakes as we haven't had rain for a while.

With respect to #2, is it possible that there is an intermittent fault in a shock absorber, or is this unlikely?

By the way, you are getting very good fuel consumption. I have never got under 6L/100km on a freeway run, and 8 to 9 in town.
Matthew

litlman 03-03-2009 11:13 PM

Hey All

Had my C200 about 9 months now and have not had a single problem, touch wood.

Only thing I would question is the fuel consumption. The best I have had is 6.9 L \ 100Km on a run down the coast but the average combined is about 10 to 12 L \ 100Km. Could just be the way I drive though, who knows.

B

Carsy 03-04-2009 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by hadjionm (Post 3387474)
Hi Carsy,

With respect to #2, is it possible that there is an intermittent fault in a shock absorber, or is this unlikely?

Matthew

Hello Mathew,
I have the 220CDI Classic (entry model) which does not have the "Advanced Agility" package. Just plain old dampers which stiffen up when required over bumps.
The Advanced Agility button lowers the car 15mm therfore giving a more sporty (firmer) ride & sharpens the accelerator response.
This may be what you are experiencing if you have the Elegance or Avantguarde.
I think the shocks at this stage of their life should be bullet proof.
Carsy.