Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
*DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops! >

*DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

*DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!

 
Old 07-28-2008, 11:40 AM
  #26  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,052
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by rb23lb View Post
lets get a group biy price for $500 out the door... i will contact a rep and see what they say... probably wanty like 50 p[eople for that low of a price... worth a shot though and a good starting point i think... will let you know what i hear
I'd be down. Good idea.
micropower99 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 01:56 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
joebenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: orange county
Posts: 268
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 DC2, 08 C350
looks really good! nice install man!
joebenz is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 02:00 PM
  #28  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Ron Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,824
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Rick here is the big question, does Lisa Hayes like it?
Ron Jr is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
  #29  
Super Member
 
Devastator187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 556
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Sport C-300, 2003 Accord Coupe V6
You Are God

Too bad i don't have MM package
Devastator187 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
  #30  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palladium Silver C300 MM
Originally Posted by rb23lb View Post
lets get a group biy price for $500 out the door... i will contact a rep and see what they say... probably wanty like 50 p[eople for that low of a price... worth a shot though and a good starting point i think... will let you know what i hear
Interested; pls let me know what you find out.

JT
vistapoints is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rick Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jet City, USA
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
Rick here is the big question, does Lisa Hayes like it?
I got the system FOR Lisa Hayes!

...but Minmei likes it too ... y'know... different area code and all.
Rick Hunter is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 PM
  #32  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Azn_C300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 3,807
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
I got the system FOR Lisa Hayes!

...but Minmei likes it too ... y'know... different area code and all.
omg....I didn't get the lisa hayes reference till you mentioned minmei. Been a while since I've seen macross, southern cross, and mospeada.
Azn_C300 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 PM
  #33  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: yorba linda, orange county california
Posts: 148
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C-300/ 19' maya MRS black wheels [email protected] Springs//powerchipped//Brabus Trunk spoiler//HID Fogs//
Damn

That is way clean. Congrats man. Amazing
KuiDaCroat22 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 PM
  #34  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Krytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,423
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by Chino View Post
Great Instructions! Just emailed them for a quote, should organize a group buy or something if there is alot of us interested in getting this.
I'm down for a group by for sure. They also have a V1 module that shows the V1 info on the display cluster, price is $350. As mentioned, this Backup camera kit is $750.

If we can get a group by going soon, I'll get in on it without hesitation.
Krytech is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM
  #35  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palladium Silver C300 MM
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post


After feeding the wire under the passenger side sills through to the back, I proceeded to mount the camera. I had to cut a hole in the Handle Strip, right at the predetermined hole. The plastic's thick, so it was a PITA. I then fed the camera wires down the Trunk Lid and down towards the tail light.

-fin-
Hey Rick,
What tools did you use to cut the hole? And what did you use to seal it?
Excellent writeup; but thanks to this I will be out of a few hundred $$

Thanks!
vistapoints is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 PM
  #36  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Savage c-300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,009
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 Sport, MM, P1
Thanks for the time and effort you put into making this DYI. Im jealous now.
Savage c-300 is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 PM
  #37  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
peet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 1,211
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
09 C63
Fantastic writeup. I'm in for a GB as well. And to Rick - I hope that they can throw you a free V1 kit or something for lighting up the interest.

Amazing quality - though maybe a bit heavy on the water marks
peet is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
  #38  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Ron Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,824
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
I got the system FOR Lisa Hayes!

...but Minmei likes it too ... y'know... different area code and all.
So are you just a Macross fan or are you an Anime fan?

Pic from AnimeNext08 I went with my daughter (and no that is not us). A great Max and Miria.

Ron Jr is offline  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 AM
  #39  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rick Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jet City, USA
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
Originally Posted by vistapoints View Post
Hey Rick,
What tools did you use to cut the hole? And what did you use to seal it?
Excellent writeup; but thanks to this I will be out of a few hundred $$

Thanks!
In case anybody is wondering why the camera is mounted to a hole that's not in the center of the vehicle... it is because the predetermined location on the Handle Strip has an inner bracket that will hold your camera's mounting bracket. I neglected to take a picture from the inside to describe this better. Anyway, you can use your trusty Dremel (or drill) to take out the exterior plastic plate. Sand the edges as appropriate. Then mount your camera bracket inside.

I investigated to see if I could have placed the camera closer to the center of the Handle Strip, but the predetermined location was still the easiest and most logical to access. I guess MB had designed the Handle Strip to allow for a backup camera option.

I went el-cheapo and sealed up the inside with some silicone sealant. With the inner bracket and the tight space with which to mount your camera, I don't think there would be an appreciable amount water that could get into the space to cause a significant mess. I guess if you blasted it with your pressure hose... The camera itself is sealed and is weather resistant, so I'm not worried.

Originally Posted by peet View Post
Fantastic writeup. I'm in for a GB as well. And to Rick - I hope that they can throw you a free V1 kit or something for lighting up the interest.

Amazing quality - though maybe a bit heavy on the water marks
Hey... I know you from somewhere How's the treating you? Don't sell it!!!

Thanks for the support! A V1 kit would be very nice... for my OTHER ride.

Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
So are you just a Macross fan or are you an Anime fan?
Haha that's a nice pic of Max & Miriya. Good resemblance to the original --->
I was heavily into Animé in the late 80's & 90's, but have since moved away from it. No time to watch "cartoons" nowadays. I'm sure there's a lot of really good stuff I'm missing.
Rick Hunter is offline  
Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 AM
  #40  
XJ9
Senior Member
 
XJ9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
In case anybody is wondering why the camera is mounted to a hole that's not in the center of the vehicle... it is because the predetermined location on the Handle Strip has an inner bracket that will hold your camera's mounting bracket. I neglected to take a picture from the inside to describe this better. Anyway, you can use your trusty Dremel (or drill) to take out the exterior plastic plate. Sand the edges as appropriate. Then mount your camera bracket inside.

I investigated to see if I could have placed the camera closer to the center of the Handle Strip, but the predetermined location was still the easiest and most logical to access. I guess MB had designed the Handle Strip to allow for a backup camera option.

I went el-cheapo and sealed up the inside with some silicone sealant. With the inner bracket and the tight space with which to mount your camera, I don't think there would be an appreciable amount water that could get into the space to cause a significant mess. I guess if you blasted it with your pressure hose... The camera itself is sealed and is weather resistant, so I'm not worried.
.
thats exactly how mine is done as well... I got the same setup done 6 months ago and my camera is still running perfectly; its even been through the pressure wash a few times and no leakage. BTW that little square where the camera mounts is actually the factory location for whenever they decide to make the cam an option. The ML and GL have the camera mounted off to the right in exactly the same spot.

Great job on the install by the way...
XJ9 is offline  
Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
  #41  
Member
 
atiqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Sport White w/ P2 MM & Pano
I'm in for a group buy.
atiqa is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for the group buy if they can offer one.
Aggressive is offline  
Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 PM
  #43  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
peet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 1,211
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
09 C63
So anyone actually contact the vendor? heh.

IF not, I will and try to setup the GB.
peet is offline  
Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
  #44  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palladium Silver C300 MM
Originally Posted by peet View Post
So anyone actually contact the vendor? heh.

IF not, I will and try to setup the GB.
Please let me know if you do. I am very interested in the GB.

Also, they sell a differnet verson of the VIM module that has an AUX input that accepts an external AV source. It costs a bit more. I am still trying to find out what kind of connector it will accept.
vistapoints is offline  
Old 08-06-2008, 04:58 PM
  #45  
Super Member
 
delirium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County, Ca
Posts: 634
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
I'm interested as well, thing for me is that I dont usually have my screen open, but guess i will just have to open it & then close it again.
delirium is offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
  #46  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO IX MR + C350
Look great!
I have the same kit and I'm about the install it. Can I ask you a question about wiring? The camera has 3 wires, Black, Red, Purple. I was told that I should twist the Black + Purple and connect it to a GROUND point. The Red should be tapped into the REVERSE light. Is this correct?
mcwoowoo is offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
  #47  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Krytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,423
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I just put in a call regarding a group buy. They're mulling it over and should be getting back with my later today or tomorrow. I'll post back when I hear from them.
Krytech is offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 02:04 PM
  #48  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
Man, very very very nice mod!


congrats!
webada is offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 PM
  #49  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
peet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 1,211
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
09 C63
Krytech - I have an appt with them tomorrow to discuss as well. As I am in the Chicago area it may help move this along if I pop over. Anyhow, more info shortly.
peet is offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:58 PM
  #50  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Krytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,423
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by peet View Post
Krytech - I have an appt with them tomorrow to discuss as well. As I am in the Chicago area it may help move this along if I pop over. Anyhow, more info shortly.


Excellent.
Krytech is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: