C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

First time owning a true black car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW E90, W204 C350
First time owning a true black car

I am wondering about a couple questions

- how to prevent or limit the amount of swirl marks on the car
- power wash will damage the car a lot ?
- how to remove birds poo on the car, i live in school and i can't get any hose to hose it off, water and paper towel is fine ?

thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 01:15 PM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
try keep the paper towel and power wash 50km away from the car
well .. its not recommended to live at school when u have a black car
or.. its not recommended to have a black car when u live at school

*not being helpful*
if u want it to be at tip top condition at all time... u need to buff it with the right stuff .. yourself .. all the time
Old 08-16-2008, 01:21 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by rs1985
I am wondering about a couple questions

- how to prevent or limit the amount of swirl marks on the car
- power wash will damage the car a lot ?
- how to remove birds poo on the car, i live in school and i can't get any hose to hose it off, water and paper towel is fine ?

thanks
There's really no way special way to "prevent" swirls for black cars, swirls happens for any color car, just more apparent for blacks.

What's power wash? automatic car wash places? never ever go to one of those, major swirls as result. I always hand wash my car with car wash liquid soap and follow with "wax" (meguairs, mothers, are good. zaino if you have the time )

use meguairs quick detailers with microfiber cloth for bird poo, never paper towels.

check out www.autopia.org for detailing tips..
Old 08-16-2008, 01:22 PM

BMW 325I
use a touchless car wash, i think Husky gas station have them.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
I've own two black cars. steps to keep them clean and shinny
1. Wash car in a shaded area. DO NOT wash under sun will damage paint and fade your paint. Black is very sensitive you can see everything .
2. Buy a good car wash soap like i buy Eagle One or Meguiras
3 For bird poop or dead bugs i use Eagle One nano wax spray cleans the dirt off the black car plus it is a good spray on wax and has a nice smell to it.
4. Try to park under a shaded area as well. When you live out in the open with the sun blazing down on you, your car paint will start getting hot which you will faded out the paint quickly thats why you wax your car, but if it is under the sun constantly you will be like waxing every week also you want to wax your car every other month waxing i mean with a simple puddy wax you do not need to go to the 3 steps. If you want to go to a 3 step wax i recommend to do that after summer and and after winter more like a seasonal thing. My two cents"""
Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 PM

BMW E90, W204 C350
for power wash i mean the home ones
Old 08-16-2008, 01:56 PM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
They make waterless car wash solution that you spray on and wipe off. A good way to keep your car clean between traditional car washes.

Don't try this if there is heavy dirt, mud or road spray all over your car though. Only light dirt and bird poop.

Use only high quality microfiber cloths.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Spec_Davis
I've own two black cars. steps to keep them clean and shinny
1. Wash car in a shaded area. DO NOT wash under sun will damage paint and fade your paint. Black is very sensitive you can see everything .
2. Buy a good car wash soap like i buy Eagle One or Meguiras
3 For bird poop or dead bugs i use Eagle One nano wax spray cleans the dirt off the black car plus it is a good spray on wax and has a nice smell to it.
4. Try to park under a shaded area as well. When you live out in the open with the sun blazing down on you, your car paint will start getting hot which you will faded out the paint quickly thats why you wax your car, but if it is under the sun constantly you will be like waxing every week also you want to wax your car every other month waxing i mean with a simple puddy wax you do not need to go to the 3 steps. If you want to go to a 3 step wax i recommend to do that after summer and and after winter more like a seasonal thing. My two cents"""
+1 But you should always wash your car in the shade only after the paint is cool. Otherwise the water dry's too quick and leaves stains with the soap. I personally always do a light rinse first to get the big stuff off and then a stong rinse. ( pressure rinse ). Wash the car with a car wash liquid soap and wash it back and forth ( Length wise ). No circular motion, incase you missed some dirt. Swirls are caused by light sratches in all directions in the paint. So when light hits the paint you can see all the lttle sratches in every direction. So wash only in one direction front to back. Always start on the top and work down. Use a different mitt for the lower part near the rockers to you dont taint the good mit with particals. You will still get minor sratches but it should reduce it quite a bit and make it last longer. Protect you paint in the spring before summer sun hits, and again at the end of summer before the winter hits.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Find a good detailer and visit him once every two months for a spa visit since you don't have the facilities to do it your self monthly. Regular washs once a week should be good for the birds I use Mothers Showtime and a microfiber towel. Never use paper towels.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Power washers should never be used on cars at all. Never in the engine area nor on the body. The only time they are useful is when you have a 4x4 and you get it muddy.

Gentle hose flow is the best.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
I always keep a good QD like Zaino Z6 in my trunk for those yucky bird poos My last ride was black and it was really tough to keep that ride clean soo good luck
Old 08-16-2008, 07:01 PM

BMW E90, W204 C350
so basically
cool weather + no circluar motion
and power wash or no power wasH ?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
my advice, try to limit quick detailers (any), even fine dirt can cause scratches/swirling... better to wash every two weeks than trying to quik-detail all the time...

i also get an expert detailer remove swirls once a year...

best of luck...

1 yr old :
Old 08-16-2008, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
No power

wash,learn the two bucket method,never use dish soap,no automatic car washes.
Wash,clay,polish with menzerna intensive polish followed by final polish followed by glaze followed by an application of menzerna fmj and then 2 coats of quality caranuba wax.Then only use the 2 bucket method of wshing and you will never have swirls or webbing and it will look like a show car.WD40 and a micro fiber cloth for bird droppings and road tar.removes them without hurting the finish.
ohlord
Old 08-16-2008, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Hey, figured I'd weigh in on this 1. When I first got my CL, honestly, I ****ed up alot. I was excited to have such an amazing car that I got it waxed like twice a month. Big mistake! You may already know this, but being more of an automotive veteran than a car care and detail guy, I really overlooked this. I had everything fixed, but boy did it cost me. I had a custom detailer in my area, who charged me $600 for an exterior detail. It was 3 stages and took him 9 hrs between two people. He suggested having it done once a year. Washing, he suggested to me an only by hand car wash that uses microfiber towels ONCE and toss them for the next car. Watch out for ones that use recycled water as dirt and debris from other cars can make it through some of the filters. Now, after I get my wash by hand I take the car right home and do a quick spray wax on each panel, turning the cloth in fours until I've removed all the wax away. I do GENTLE swirling rotations. It also helps because after I leave the wash I always get drips from the mirrors that will eventually turn white and make the car look dirty after I just washed it. Great remedy for that. Make sure you get a good spary wax though like Meguiers (spell) or something else you recognize. Good luck and try not to wash too much! Get a good detail wax job once a year and your set!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport, MM, P1
Originally Posted by blackcls63
my advice, try to limit quick detailers (any), even fine dirt can cause scratches/swirling... better to wash every two weeks than trying to quik-detail all the time...

i also get an expert detailer remove swirls once a year...

best of luck...

1 yr old :
blackcls63: a little off topic, but your car is gangster!

oh and i always keep a spray bottle and paper towels in my car to get off the bird poo, dont let it sit on your paint, ever!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 AM

W204
try to wax your car 1 per month, or just contact a profesional detailer to take care of your car, black are very deficult cars so i try to protect them as perfect as i can, a profesional detailer will try to live your car as swirl free as posible and your car will always look as a showcar.

black is the most beautyfull color in car, and the most deficult

keep away quick detailers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:55 PM

2011 E350 4 Matic
I remove the normal day to day dust with a soft brush (moistened with water or detailer)

Once the majority of the dust is removed, I use a microfiber glove or cloth with some spray detailer and wipe the car clean. Doing this daily takes me about 5 to 10 minutes and maintains the car in a shiny finish.

Living on campus might be a bit tough though.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I suggest visting MBWorld's detailing and automotive care forum, lots of good info in there.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Whatever you do...NEVER EVER...

use PaperTowels on your car. That will most definately put scratches in your black paint - especially to get bird poop off...that is a huge NO NO!!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM

BMW E90, W204 C350
what is you guys' opinion on power wash ? and what do i use to clean off poo ?
you said no paper towels, but I still need sth to get it off, this is from my mom, her method is to wet a piece of paper towel, just let it sit on the bird poo, than pick up the whole paper towel, and the poo will come out with it, i am not sure would that work but ya
Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
There are tons of tips on how to care for a black car. They are great to look at but a PITA to keep looking good especially if you are a perfectionist.
Wash the car and it is dusty after 30 minutes.

Sorry, now you are a slave to your new black beauty. (J/K).
Old 08-24-2008, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Originally Posted by rs1985
what is you guys' opinion on power wash ? and what do i use to clean off poo ?
you said no paper towels, but I still need sth to get it off, this is from my mom, her method is to wet a piece of paper towel, just let it sit on the bird poo, than pick up the whole paper towel, and the poo will come out with it, i am not sure would that work but ya

Yes, soak the poo but never wipe it off! Birds eat pebbles and that stuff is in the poo. After soaking it, use lots of water and gently wash it off using your fingers or soft towel.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 PM

2001 E430 Designo Edition, 2002 C230K Sport Coupe & 2006 C230 SS
Black Cars

I find that no matter how careful you are scratches just happen. What makes it even worse is MB's sick little joke of using white primer. Aside for a professional airbush touch up, I find that a Sharpie and the black Turtle wax is my best friend. Regardless of what kind of wax you perfer, if you go back over any scratches / rock chips with the black wax the disappear to the eye.
Another tip...wax around moldings and cracks with the black wax, it makes life much easier!