MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Finally! Got My C63 Grille Installed & Car Lowered (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/259725-finally-got-my-c63-grille-installed-car-lowered.html)

benggolf 09-07-2008 06:19 PM

Finally! Got My C63 Grille Installed & Car Lowered

Took my car in to Garage 5 to have them install the Eibach Pro-Kit springs & C63 style Grille last Friday. Am quite happy with the outcome and the ride is still very comfortable.

The car came with the 4 dot rear spring shims (19mm), so I brought along the 9mm and 5mm shims, but it was not necessary after all.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9...0951mu7.th.jpg

Here's another phoyo of the C63 style grille from Madracer.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2...0948ew5.th.jpg

Hope you guys like it. :zoom:

omgitselaine 09-07-2008 06:26 PM

well ...no guy here but nevertheless i like i like :y
how much of a drop was it with the kit if i may ask ??

benggolf 09-07-2008 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by omgitselaine (Post 3038656)
well ...no guy here but nevertheless i like i like :y
how much of a drop was it with the kit if i may ask ??

Since the car came with OEM sports suspension, the drop was only +1/2" but it was all that I needed. Didn't want to slam the car. In fact it appears lower than our bone-stock C55 right now.

It should settle a bit more in time. Having a 4-wheel alignment done next Friday. Next mod will be the CF door pillars. ;)

Thanks for the compliment omgitselaine. :)

benggolf 09-07-2008 08:33 PM

Before & After Lowering Pictures

Photo or car before installing the Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7...2087ay6.th.jpg

This is how the car looks now, after lowering.

drevil2k2 09-08-2008 12:26 AM

Very nice drop. Luckily you BC guys don't get that much snow and can go with springs versus a coilover setup.

rb23lb 09-08-2008 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by benggolf (Post 3038649)
Took my car in to Garage 5 to have them install the Eibach Pro-Kit springs & C63 style Grille last Friday. Am quite happy with the outcome and the ride is still very comfortable.

The car came with the 4 dot rear spring shims (19mm), so I brought along the 9mm and 5mm shims, but it was not necessary after all.

Here's another phoyo of the C63 style grille from Madracer.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2...0948ew5.th.jpg

Hope you guys like it. :zoom:

Does this Eibach Pro Kit improve your performance or your MPG at all?

I googled around but couldnt find any concrete evidence of performance/MPG increase, just saw how it really improves looks...

Nice upgrade with the grill and lowering, looks sikk:y

rb23lb 09-08-2008 03:40 AM

PS, how much did you get the Eibach kit for and where from

Thanks,

looks great

ryan

FrankW 09-08-2008 04:12 AM

looks great.

benggolf 09-08-2008 04:13 AM

Thanks for the compliment Ryan. Eibach springs or any suspension upgrade for that matter will improve the looks, handling & cornering of your car, but not your gas mileage.

An easy and economical way of increasing your MPG is to pump up your tires 5 to 10 PSI above the recommended tire pressures in the manual. Your ride will be stiffer, but increasing the tire pressure will lower rolling resistance, thus improving your gas mileage. Driving with a light foot certainly helps too. ;)

Bought the Eibach springs from Tire Rack. Paid $243.00 for the set + $16.26 for shipping.

rb23lb 09-08-2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by benggolf (Post 3039438)
Thanks for the compliment Ryan. Eibach springs or any suspension upgrade for that matter will improve the looks, handling & cornering of your car, but not your gas mileage.

An easy and economical way of increasing your MPG is to pump up your tires 5 to 10 PSI above the recommended tire pressures in the manual. Your ride will be stiffer, but increasing the tire pressure will lower rolling resistance, thus improving your gas mileage. Driving with a light foot certainly helps too. ;)

Bought the Eibach springs from Tire Rack. Paid $243.00 for the set + $16.26 for shipping.

Any scraping noticed yet???

Why did you choose these over H & R springs? How much more expensive are they than H & R's?

How much do they cost to get installed?

Do lowering springs decrease MPG in any way, or mess with the drive train or gears? (since you are changing the way the car was designed to sit)

Do they void warranty?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanna find out some more details before I drop scrill for the order...

benggolf 09-08-2008 02:09 PM

Answers.........

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 3039896)
Any scraping noticed yet???

Why did you choose these over H & R springs? How much more expensive are they than H & R's?

How much do they cost to get installed?

Do lowering springs decrease MPG in any way, or mess with the drive train or gears? (since you are changing the way the car was designed to sit)

Do they void warranty?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanna find out some more details before I drop scrill for the order...

1. No scrapping issues at all. You should not have any tire clearance issues as long as you are still using OEM wheels.

2. I prefer Eibach Pro-Kit because of prior experience. They don't drop the car as much and maintain relatively the same level of comfort. For price difference, check the different websites; start with Tirerack.com

3. I was charged 4 hours labor by Garage 5. Their rate is $75/hour.

4. Lowering the car does not decrease fuel mileage.

5. It should not void the entire warranty of the car. MB can only reject any claim they can prove is caused directly as the result of the change to aftermarket springs. Not to worry as long as the installation is done by a qualified technician.

If you decide to order the springs from Tire Rack, ask for Gus and tell him I referred him to you. He is a good guy and will give you exellent service.

BTW, where are you located at rb23lb?
Good luck.

Derspeed 09-08-2008 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by benggolf (Post 3038665)
Since the car came with OEM sports suspension, the drop was only +1/2" but it was all that I needed. :)

Exactly what I have been saying.

Mine are from Tirerack as well. Good price and reputation.

benggolf 09-08-2008 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Derspeed (Post 3040423)
Exactly what I have been saying.

Mine are from Tirerack as well. Good price and reputation.

Thanks for the advice, Derspeed. Am very happy with the drop I got.
How long after before you had your wheel alignment checked?

Azn_C300 09-08-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by benggolf (Post 3040378)

4 hours?? :eek: shouldn't take more than 1 hour or so to swap out springs.

mb_horseshoe 09-08-2008 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Azn_C300 (Post 3040504)
4 hours?? :eek: shouldn't take more than 1 hour or so to swap out springs.

It should only take an hour but it might take multiple people...

VASH1N3 09-08-2008 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mb_horseshoe (Post 3040527)

The price to install is about right. I lowered my c230 1" with H&R and I really cant tell the difference with the ride. I say Eibach and HR are probably the best springs that wont compensate the ride comfort.

rb23lb 09-08-2008 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by benggolf (Post 3040378)
1. No scrapping issues at all. You should not have any tire clearance issues as long as you are still using OEM wheels.

2. I prefer Eibach Pro-Kit because of prior experience. They don't drop the car as much and maintain relatively the same level of comfort. For price difference, check the different websites; start with Tirerack.com

4. Lowering the car does not decrease fuel mileage.

5. It should not void the entire warranty of the car. MB can only reject any claim they can prove is caused directly as the result of the change to aftermarket springs. Not to worry as long as the installation is done by a qualified technician.

If you decide to order the springs from Tire Rack, ask for Gus and tell him I referred him to you. He is a good guy and will give you exellent service.

BTW, where are you located at rb23lb?
Good luck.

thanks for all your responses.... I am located in Pasadena, CA

Azn_C300 09-08-2008 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mb_horseshoe (Post 3040527)

Well, every shop is different, but I watched mine get installed by one guy in less than an hour.

benggolf 09-08-2008 06:48 PM

There were 2 mechanics and they were working carefully. Maybe I should clarify they charged me 4 man hours...including the R&I of grille. I was keeping an eye over their work.

I rather they worked carefully than do a half ass job scratching my bodywork and messing the suspension.

Did check with the MB dealership beforehand and they quoted 4-5 man hours at a much higher hourly rate. :eek:

benggolf 09-08-2008 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by FrankW (Post 3039437)
looks great.

Thanks FrankW.

Derspeed 09-08-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by benggolf (Post 3040434)
Thanks for the advice, Derspeed. Am very happy with the drop I got.
How long after before you had your wheel alignment checked?

I haven't had mine installed yet, but on all of my other cars, I had them aligned by the shop that did the install. Do it immediately.

syrAMG 09-08-2008 06:50 PM

benggolf Great mod!

the car looks very nice with the C63 Grille and low to the ground!

benggolf 09-08-2008 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Derspeed (Post 3041090)
I haven't had mine installed yet, but on all of my other cars, I had them aligned by the shop that did the install. Do it immediately.

Personally, I would give it a week or so to settle down. I have a service appointment to do the alignment this coming Friday, September 12th. :)

Derspeed 09-08-2008 07:07 PM

They really don't settle that much. Especially Eibachs. Many manufacturers block set their springs so they always maintain their height. They do it so the springs don't sag over time.

FrankW 09-08-2008 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by benggolf (Post 3041097)
Personally, I would give it a week or so to settle down. I have a service appointment to do the alignment this coming Friday, September 12th. :)

I don't think the ride height will settle much if any. only really bad springs will do that these days.

makes me want to get eibach springs btw. got any pic of how high are the bumper off those parking stops?