MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Just Returned from Sindelfingen....C350W (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/260564-just-returned-sindelfingen-c350w.html)

TRauppius 09-13-2008 10:06 AM

Just Returned from Sindelfingen....C350W

3 Attachment(s)
I have just returned from picking up my 2009 C350W (Paladium,Grey/Black Tex, P2, MM) via the European Delivery Program.

I will be posting some experiences talking with MB techs during the factory tour, some additional undocumented changes between the 2008 to 2009 models (thanks to my MB delivery instructor/tech), plus some info regarding the Black Forest/Aps Rally trip and navigating around in Germany and Austria.

My car is just a plain vanilla 350 but I am including a few photos that show the Grey/Black interior and the new OEM tires for USA bound cars originating in the German assembly plants.

Todd

Spec_Davis 09-13-2008 10:07 AM

i lke the color of your interior

white_glass_top 09-13-2008 11:27 AM

C350W???

the factory is crazy!!! plus the lil museum they have inside while u wait to pick up ur vehicle. i didnt get a chance to go on the factory tour, due to work. but plan on going back and check it out. But i am curious what is a C350W??

TRauppius 09-13-2008 11:45 AM

Just the MB numerical model designation for a C350 Sport. I think they call these Avantgarde models in Germany.

tanktube67 09-13-2008 12:51 PM

so your car has C350W badge?

TRauppius 09-13-2008 01:14 PM

Nope, that is just the designator on the paperwork.

SDGuy 09-13-2008 02:21 PM

How exciting for you. Congratulations. I see you have a windshield mount - what was that for, GPS? Didn't they give you the Europe maps on the NAV during your trip?

How long were you in Europe and how long is the boat ride going to be for your car? And yes, describe all changes in the 2009 model if you would.

who8888 09-13-2008 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Davis (Post 3051153)
i lke the color of your interior

+1. Very interesting look.

TRauppius 09-13-2008 02:52 PM

GPS Loaner.....

Originally Posted by SDGuy (Post 3051402)
How exciting for you. Congratulations. I see you have a windshield mount - what was that for, GPS? Didn't they give you the Europe maps on the NAV during your trip?

How long were you in Europe and how long is the boat ride going to be for your car? And yes, describe all changes in the 2009 model if you would.

The windshield mount is for a MB branded Garmin GPS navigator unit. This is provided at no charge (you do need to use a credit card as a security deposit) for NAV equipped cars as the built-in NAV does not have a European database. I tried to preplan the trip with Google maps printed out with detailed instructions but would have been unsuccesful in finding my way around the country roads and the big cities based on these maps. The reason being that the local and regional road numbers almost never are shown on the local road signs. The GPS based NAV saved us from what would have an otherwise been a tense and frustrating navigation exercise.

When you complete the trip the GPS unit is packed into a the original box and placed in the glove compartment. The shipping agent remove the GPS unit and sends it back to Sindelfingen where it is recyled for the next customer.

I was only in Germany and Austria for 6 days, and drove about 600 miles. The return voyage for the car is normally 6-8 weeks before you can pick it up at your local dealer.

I have another posting on this site describing the more minor 2008 to 2009 model year changes.

And yes, I like the car very much and fell that I made the right choice for me.

RLE 09-13-2008 06:25 PM

Factory pickup

Originally Posted by TRauppius (Post 3051151)
I have just returned from picking up my 2009 C350W (Paladium,Grey/Black Tex, P2, MM) via the European Delivery Program.

I will be posting some experiences talking with MB techs during the factory tour, some additional undocumented changes between the 2008 to 2009 models (thanks to my MB delivery instructor/tech), plus some info regarding the Black Forest/Aps Rally trip and navigating around in Germany and Austria.

My car is just a plain vanilla 350 but I am including a few photos that show the Grey/Black interior and the new OEM tires for USA bound cars originating in the German assembly plants.

Todd

Thanks very much for the informative posts which have brought back pleasant memories. I have taken factory delivery of two Porsches but no MBs as yet.

There is something about a factory delivery followed by driving your very own new German car down the autobahn at high speed (flat out in Italy) that you never forget. And for me the personal connection to the car is very different than a local pickup.

Next month marks the 25th anniversary of the delivery of my Porsche at Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. During the two weeks I drove it in Europe, we drove to Venice and on the way stopped at Monza to drive on the track. For about four dollars, you can use the track apparently as long as you want and I drove it for about an hour on street tire pressures and full of baggage.

The entrance ticket for the track is still in my car's ashtray.

Thanks again.

Glyn M Ruck 09-13-2008 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by TRauppius (Post 3051151)

Todd

Is that a lighter grey upholstery than the 07/08s or is it just the exposure? Looks great!

TRauppius 09-13-2008 07:21 PM

New Grey/Black

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 3051773)
Is that a lighter grey upholstery than the 07/08s or is it just the exposure? Looks great!

I think you are corrected in noting the "revised" shade of grey. The MY09 order confirmation noted that this interior now includes Ash leather inserts in the center portion of the seats. To tell the truth I barely noticed any difference between my new 2009 and a 2008 that I drove earlier at the local MB dealer; the difference is subtle.

The 2009's also allow Sport models to select the Burl Walnut Wood trim, and it looks good on the Black/Black interiors. I saw this combo in the delivery center.

Untertürkheim 09-13-2008 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by white_glass_top (Post 3051210)
the factory is crazy!!! plus the lil museum they have inside while u wait to pick up ur vehicle. i didnt get a chance to go on the factory tour, due to work. but plan on going back and check it out. But i am curious what is a C350W??

W is the technical model designation for a a sedan, T for station wagon, C for coupé, A for cabriolet, V for long wheel base (S-class).

akbro93704 09-14-2008 03:04 AM

Havent they always used the Pilot HX's on German build W204's?

Carsy 09-14-2008 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by akbro93704 (Post 3052261)

My German built W204 came with Bridgestone 205/55 R16 Turanzas which were made in France!!

TRauppius 09-14-2008 06:18 AM

Only Relaying MB Tech's Info...

Originally Posted by akbro93704 (Post 3052261)

You may be correct, but the MB Tech noted this as a minor build revision.

Maybe they just use whatever is in good supply. Do you know if the Michelins are a good choice as I noted the DOT sidewall markings rate these tires as average to OK at 300/A/A.

Also, the non 18" AMG C300 and C350 models I test drove at dealerships had Continentals. The VIN on these cars were for the Bremen plant.

dubulup 09-15-2008 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by TRauppius (Post 3051447)
The windshield mount is for a MB branded Garmin GPS navigator unit. This is provided at no charge (you do need to use a credit card as a security deposit) for NAV equipped cars as the built-in NAV does not have a European database. I tried to preplan the trip with Google maps printed out with detailed instructions but would have been unsuccesful in finding my way around the country roads and the big cities based on these maps. The reason being that the local and regional road numbers almost never are shown on the local road signs. The GPS based NAV saved us from what would have an otherwise been a tense and frustrating navigation exercise.

When you complete the trip the GPS unit is packed into a the original box and placed in the glove compartment. The shipping agent remove the GPS unit and sends it back to Sindelfingen where it is recyled for the next customer.

I was only in Germany and Austria for 6 days, and drove about 600 miles. The return voyage for the car is normally 6-8 weeks before you can pick it up at your local dealer.

I have another posting on this site describing the more minor 2008 to 2009 model year changes.

And yes, I like the car very much and fell that I made the right choice for me.

they didn't even offer me a GPS...I had to use old fashion maps, ha!

one thing I wish I did was study up on road signs. very fun trip however...1st class all the way.

dubulup 09-15-2008 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 3051727)
There is something about a factory delivery followed by driving your very own new German car down the autobahn at high speed (flat out in Italy) that you never forget. And for me the personal connection to the car is very different than a local pickup.

yep
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...p/DSC00937.jpg

then the Nurburgring :D
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...p/DSC01044.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/dubulup/badge.jpg

RickP330 09-15-2008 03:39 PM

Hey, did they take off the 135mph speed govener? I see 120 every day on my way to work ;)
RickP