C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Anyone notice the C Class just knocked the 3 Series off for top sales..

Old 10-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
So the W204 is a runaway sales success and this thread devolves into resale value about Honda Civics and Hyundai Genesis???

I will worry about resale in 10 years... or not
Old 10-04-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 c300
Originally Posted by wblynch
So the W204 is a runaway sales success and this thread devolves into resale value about Honda Civics and Hyundai Genesis???

I will worry about resale in 10 years... or not
Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I do not think that a problem is in a limited supply of 3 series. I've visited a dealer and it looks like plenty of them in a lot. Problem is that MB dealers adapted to economy change much faster and willing to negotiate much lower price, when BMW dealers are still keeping attitude that BMW sells itself and not willing move on price. Actually it was only one reason for me why I have to buy MB, although liked BMW more.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 PM

2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
Originally Posted by Dema
I do not think that a problem is in a limited supply of 3 series. I've visited a dealer and it looks like plenty of them in a lot. Problem is that MB dealers adapted to economy change much faster and willing to negotiate much lower price, when BMW dealers are still keeping attitude that BMW sells itself and not willing move on price. Actually it was only one reason for me why I have to buy MB, although liked BMW more.
I got my BMW for the price I wanted... less actually, if you discount shipping. In SoCal the car sells itself.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by jherbias
I got my BMW for the price I wanted... less actually, if you discount shipping. In SoCal the car sells itself.
in SoCal that's definitely true although a lot of people still price shop.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Almost a Member!

C350 black/black
I agree, resale value is only depend on the market demand
Originally Posted by FrankW

here's what's in my "signature" below EVERY post said other than the OBVIOUS picture

Why? I can tell you why. 1995 C280 and 2001 C320 spread 6 years apart and by the time you traded in your 2001 C320 that's 12 years apart. Different time, different market value based on the economy at the time. It has little to do with the fact MB sold more W203 than the W202. I'm not going to be surprised if MB sells more W204 than the W203 by the time W204 is replaced. resale value of that car will be determined then based on the economy by that time. reliability and market value at the time determines the resale value of a car the most. sales volume plays very little parts.

perhaps you want to tell me WHY my cousin in-law's 97 Honda Civic coupe was sold for $3100 just last month while my brother's 97 BMW 528i is worth the same on bluebook with similar amount of mileage. is it because BMW sold more 5-series than the Civic? ($50k vs less than $18k when both were new) OR is it because the current economy calls for a small car that is more fuel efficient?

no one is talking about the C32 and M3, correct, but these two cars are the perfect example why your argument is . C32 and M3 aside, the BMW E46 also out sold the W203 by great amount of numbers do you want to tell me why the E46s in our market are worth more than the W203s?

also just FYI, my 2000 Beetle 1.8T's resale value went up nearly $1000 from the time I traded in for the C350 to now. Why? because the market is in demand for these small and fuel efficient small cars.

and Miss, I'm sorry for calling you a dude.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by aowhaus
The Genesis is a very impressive car.
The V8 is a great engine and the design of the interior is beautiful, especially with the matte wood trim and the rich looking brown leather -- it reminds me of a mix between the interior of the BMW 7-series and the S-class.
If only they could make the exterior more destinctive. It looks like a 5-series copy, though the ribcage-like badgeless grill is a nice subtle touch.

It's nice to hear the C is making an impact into the sales of the 3-series, but I don't my C to look too commonplace on the streets.
I toured the Hyndai plant in Alabama about a month ago (hugely impressive) and saw the Genesis in their lobby. Those front seats are extremely comfortable. I'd swap them for the ones in my C300 any day of the week if they'd fit.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Originally Posted by JimPap
I toured the Hyndai plant in Alabama about a month ago (hugely impressive) and saw the Genesis in their lobby. Those front seats are extremely comfortable. I'd swap them for the ones in my C300 any day of the week if they'd fit.
I rented a Hundai last summer for 2 weeks. Started out fine, but after several days of driving it 4-6 hours a day, my leg started hurting, a lot! Seems that the driver's seat couldn't be adjusted properly to push down on the gas pedal, and that meant I had to compensate by holding the leg up a bit .... doing that for hours every day meant it just didn't feel good at all.

The Genesis may be better? But maybe not. You should rent one and try it out before buying. The car I'd rented felt good the first day or two, but experience is a good teacher.

(Um, I took away the lesson that S. Koreans don't do a whole lot of long-distance multi-day driving .... if they did, they'd design better seats!)
Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Genesis is a new car, so you couldn't rent it last summer.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:31 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by jstaneff
I rented a Hundai last summer for 2 weeks. Started out fine, but after several days of driving it 4-6 hours a day, my leg started hurting, a lot! Seems that the driver's seat couldn't be adjusted properly to push down on the gas pedal, and that meant I had to compensate by holding the leg up a bit .... doing that for hours every day meant it just didn't feel good at all.

The Genesis may be better? But maybe not. You should rent one and try it out before buying. The car I'd rented felt good the first day or two, but experience is a good teacher.

(Um, I took away the lesson that S. Koreans don't do a whole lot of long-distance multi-day driving .... if they did, they'd design better seats!)
LOL...that's a really bad comparison. You think the C would drive and feels the same as the E or the S? If you say yes, you haven't driven the E or S.