MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Why all seasons on the sports now? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/263490-why-all-seasons-sports-now.html)

akbro93704 10-02-2008 01:20 AM

Why all seasons on the sports now?

Mercedes used to use high performance tires on the W203 sport sedans. Why did they switch to all seasons? Yes I know all seasons have higher tread life, but they're so dang squishy! I have to watch my speed around corners because I can feel them start to squirm. I have the Continental Pro-Contacts, which seem to have worse handling than the Pilot HX's on German build W204's. They do ride smoothly and quietly though. They just don't give me that "confidence" that high performance rubber would. Oh well, hope they don't last too long :p: I guess that's what the 18" AMG option is for, but oh well.

mac911 10-02-2008 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by akbro93704 (Post 3083593)
Mercedes used to use high performance tires on the W203 sport sedans. Why did they switch to all seasons? Yes I know all seasons have higher tread life, but they're so dang squishy! I have to watch my speed around corners because I can feel them start to squirm. I have the Continental Pro-Contacts, which seem to have worse handling than the Pilot HX's on German build W204's. They do ride smoothly and quietly though. They just don't give me that "confidence" that high performance rubber would. Oh well, hope they don't last too long :p: I guess that's what the 18" AMG option is for, but oh well.

I have a German built car (Bremen), and it has the same Contis, so that isn't a South African build only thing.

I agree with you on tires. I think they just put what's best for most of us, which is also me 90 percent of the time.

radiance 10-02-2008 03:30 AM

I got the Michelin Pilot all season tires on my c300 4matics in Canada.

C300Sport 10-02-2008 04:23 PM

I have the Michelin Pilots as well and although not the ultimate in performance, they have already handled a couple of off ramps quite nicely. They give you plenty of warning before they let go...

skillz1318 10-02-2008 04:34 PM

My c300 sport with 18" AMG wheels have the conti summer tires...purchased May 08.

I kinda wish i had all season though...i live in virginia where we do get 2-3 inches sometimes and on my last car with summer tires the snow was impossible to drive in....once i changed them to all season i was able to get around

MB-BOB 10-02-2008 04:41 PM

Like all manufacturers, Mercedes buys tires in bulk from a select three/four vendors. When a car comes down the line, it gets whatever tires have been supplied that fit the rims. Whether you get Contis, Goodyears, Pirellis, or Michelin is down to the luck of the draw.

AMG cars get more sporty tires, but all the others get middle-of-the-road boots, because they last longer. That way MB doesn't have to hear the complaints when performance tires wear out in 15,000 miles... nor do they have to get involved in any (bogus) warranty issues.

FrankW 10-02-2008 05:54 PM

W203 sport sedan got different cheaper tires. namely almost all 05-07 sport came with Michelin Pilot Primacy all-season.

If you don't like the stock tires just do what I did. sell them while they are new and get better tires.

CarGuru 10-03-2008 12:06 AM

I've got a sport with oem AMG 18"s I have Contis and have driven this car 10/10 many times, I know there are better tires out there but I personally have no complaints with the Contis I do live in Nor Cal and we don't get snow or flash floods so that good be why they work fine for my needs. Also we have 20K miles on our car and the rubber is about 40% right now. My wife drives the car 98% of the time, the 2% of my use is mostly driven at 8/10 agressive on ramps and off ramps etc... at least 2-3 burnouts just to see if the car could do it. When our car went in for a radio replacement a few months ago they gave us a C300 sport with the 17" wheels, I think it had Michelin's? Anyway I don't see how you guys can enjoy the car on that rubber, I had to take turns nearly 10 mph slower in that car or the car would plow and understeer. With the 18" Conti's it just grips, or oversteers when you want it to.

-Ryan

nukefixer 04-05-2009 09:31 PM

I also live in Virginia and yes we get the usual few inches a year of snow, I have the AMG wheel option and it came with summer tires-Conti's, what all season tire did you go with for your car, come fall I'm replacing mine.

C300Kid 09-05-2009 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by CarGuru (Post 3085905)
I've got a sport with oem AMG 18"s I have Contis and have driven this car 10/10 many times, I know there are better tires out there but I personally have no complaints with the Contis I do live in Nor Cal and we don't get snow or flash floods so that good be why they work fine for my needs. Also we have 20K miles on our car and the rubber is about 40% right now. My wife drives the car 98% of the time, the 2% of my use is mostly driven at 8/10 agressive on ramps and off ramps etc... at least 2-3 burnouts just to see if the car could do it. When our car went in for a radio replacement a few months ago they gave us a C300 sport with the 17" wheels, I think it had Michelin's? Anyway I don't see how you guys can enjoy the car on that rubber, I had to take turns nearly 10 mph slower in that car or the car would plow and understeer. With the 18" Conti's it just grips, or oversteers when you want it to.

-Ryan

you have the continental pro-SPORT performance tires...thats why. the 17" wheels come with pro-CONTACT all-seasons. they suck imo. The 17" wheels dont help. I need to replace mine Im just having a hard time finding what I want.

C300Kid 09-05-2009 01:40 AM

oh wow...i def didnt realize how old this thread was. whoops..