MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Do you use sunroof/Moonroof? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/263672-do-you-use-sunroof-moonroof.html)

hmc 10-03-2008 12:06 PM

Do you use sunroof/Moonroof?

I can't figure out the usefulness of sunrrof/moonroof. It's behind of my head (driver) and I can't really see the sky while driving. I leave it closed 99% of time and use auto climate control.

For those who regularly use it, can you explain your purposes?

zankok 10-03-2008 12:18 PM

we hate the sun here
so our cars manufacturer dont bother with sun roof option

maverickvii 10-03-2008 12:20 PM

I use it all the time and love it. Purposes...I guess I like the sun, the fresh air, the sound even. Plus with tints, I like leaving the side windows closed for more privacy.

Ron Jr 10-03-2008 01:21 PM

Almost never use it and I had a convertable as my car before this that the top was almost never up. I just don't like the position though I do leave the shade open.

jstaneff 10-03-2008 01:45 PM

When you walk up to the driver's door on a hot day and hold down the door open key and all the windows and sunroof open together, it's a great way to get the built-up heat out of the car fast.

When you park in the sun, you can leave the roof vented and close the slider to keep the sun from beating down/into the car. It's a great way to reduce the build-up of heat.

When you're driving along with it open, it's really cool how what hair I have remaining on the top of my head stands up in the wind. (Okay, maybe a short haircut?)

When it rains, it's a great way to clean the seat cushions ... not!

I agree, the glass area is too far back to be of any good use while driving, but then, you are supposed to be looking out the windshield, right? And it does help keep the interior (black on black) lit in daylight.

I like it. Wouldn't buy a car without it, except for a true convertible.

methodz 10-03-2008 01:53 PM

i use it about as much as i use my regular windows. they gave it to you, open it, its not like you are looking through it at any point. i dont really like ac so i like the ventilation that it provides when driving and keeps the air out of my face. its great. plus i have the pano so it makes my car look cool!

omgitselaine 10-03-2008 01:56 PM

I use it all the time :) even as it it gets a bit chilly i'd crank it wiiiide open and simply turn up the heat :D. I just love the wonderful fresh air of ......jersey :rolleyes: ??? Anyways yeah i guess its to each their own :)

C300Sport 10-03-2008 02:05 PM

I am 6' 1" tall and drive with the seat placed all the way back. The roof is actually pretty well positioned for me...although a few inches furher forward would allow for a little nicer view of the clear blue sky.

Devastator187 10-03-2008 02:26 PM

I could care less...it's just the only car available at the time has pano.

drevil2k2 10-03-2008 03:34 PM

The tilt feature is nice just to get some air in the cabin in most weather conditions.

The sunroof is especially helpful when you need to signal cars around you.:loser:

451/443=EW 10-03-2008 05:28 PM

Love the sunroof, I open it anytime I can. Open the roof and crack the back windows for nice even air flow thought the car. Iv got the pano and when the roof is closed, I still leave it so the sun can come in. Never cover the glass.

RLE 10-03-2008 08:16 PM

Tilt

Originally Posted by hmc (Post 3086454)
I can't figure out the usefulness of sunrrof/moonroof. It's behind of my head (driver) and I can't really see the sky while driving. I leave it closed 99% of time and use auto climate control.

For those who regularly use it, can you explain your purposes?

I use the tilt feature about 75% of the time to increase flow through ventilation except on very hot days. Which are over for the moment.

mac911 10-03-2008 11:00 PM

In the summer, I don't open it ever. However, I always have the shade open cause the tint is really good, and the light makes the car seem bigger and nicer inside. Closing the shade makes the car look a lot tighter.

I agree it would be nice if sunroof was further forward, so you'd see it more in the front seats. I see it more in the back seats.

As it gets cooler I'll use it more and more. It's really nice in the middle of winter to go driving through the mountains or something with the cold air up there on your head. I love it. ha-ha.

mikegn 10-03-2008 11:22 PM

Noisy above 80km/hr

I dont open the pano roof when I'm on the highway cause it gets noisy. It's my first sunroof. Is there a partially opened position that's not too bad ?

tanktube67 10-04-2008 10:05 AM

Tilt

I use the tilt position all the time, except when is raining but it doesn’t rain much in S. Cal anyways, it's perfect when the weather is hot, so I don't have to leave the windows open :zoom:

maninblack 10-04-2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by hmc (Post 3086454)
. I can't really see the sky while driving.

why would you look at the sky while you are driving ? :word:

jstaneff 10-04-2008 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by maninblack (Post 3088610)

Um, not the sky, but the rock face you're driving along, so you can see those "loose rocks" as they tumble down onto your car ... (dunno if you can really duck, but ...) ;-(

So, actually a serious situation on some mountain roads, and I've used my sunroof for that purpose several times. It's also quite useful when snow slides start and you are in their way. I've narrowly missed being covered in a slide .... sitting in traffic backed up from the pass.

But ...
Confucius say: He who look up get bird***** in eye!

maninblack 10-04-2008 02:22 PM

i c i c :)

Will617 10-05-2008 07:54 AM

On hot days I use the remote to open the sunroof and windows. Great way to cool off the inside quickly. My car is black on black tho so I always keep the slide closed as well as the rear shade. I like the tilt feature but I rarely use it.

Had a bad experience with my 1988 Mustang GT with the T-Tops off. Took a little cat nap after I had spend most of the day washing/waxing/detailing the car only to find out a storm had moved in. Besides a few electric issues it took 2 weeks for the car seats to totally dry out:smash:

On cool days I always use the sunroof. I love the fresh air.:y

hmc 10-05-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by maninblack (Post 3088610)

I meant it doesn't give me open air experience.

ChrisBrown 10-05-2008 07:21 PM

I don't have a w204, but in my w203 I have it open almost all the time in AZ from October to May.

Makes the car much more open air. Love it.

C300PO 12-06-2008 12:56 AM

living at the beach in San Diego my sunroof is open everyday. I love the feel of the sun on my face and love the sunlight in the car. As someone else already said even the sound of the air over the top sounds great to me.

I'm glad I had the dealer install the iPod Amp. I can now blast the iPod over the rush of the outside air coming thru the Sunroof.
:D

JimPap 12-06-2008 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by mac911 (Post 3087940)
In the summer, I don't open it ever. However, I always have the shade open cause the tint is really good, and the light makes the car seem bigger and nicer inside.

Funny that you mention that.

Size wise, most days the car seems to be about the right size on the inside. On occassion, the car seems small and I get this feeling of being a bit cramped. If I slide the shade back, it doesn't feel as cramped.

micropower99 12-06-2008 04:29 AM

Love it. Like Elaine said, open it and crank the heat, it feels great. And it looks beautiful too. It gives the car some light and fresh air and doesn't make it so "dark". :)

earlybird 12-06-2008 10:07 AM

In the summer, I frequently use the sunroof, but in the cold Canadian winter, it stays firmly shut.

The sunroof makes the car feel more spacious. I would never buy a car without one.