MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   DIY: Rear-View Camera under $200 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/266988-diy-rear-view-camera-under-200-a.html)

Riviera 11-12-2013 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by MB-C350 (Post 5840181)
Thanks for the installation tips and pictures! I'm trying to find a camera without the guidelines. Most found on ebay have them. Also, some are NTSC and others are PAL. Does it matter which one to buy? Which camera and fakra cable did you get?

Make sure you buy a camera matching your tv system, in north america it's ntsc, in europe it's pal, if not sure you can see the video standard somewhere in the hidden system menu.

I removed the command to find a rattling noise and it's a piece of cake on late models, takes 5 minutes to remove vent trim + 2 screws. Another 10 minutes to remove the glovebox greatly helps to wire under the carpet as once glovebox is removed you can remove passenger plastics covers/carpet, you can remove door sill by just pulling it, really easy.

Pascal

Drazil 11-12-2013 04:40 PM

Great install and tips. Unfortunately for FL models, the bulb is molded into the housing so I had to tape mine behind the camera.

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo (Post 5837854)
for those who are still thinking of buying the ebay cams. I have a few pointers for you.

1. Go buy the ebay cam....worth it.
2. Make sure to remove the old weather strip gasket of the old license plate bulb cover and reuse it to have a proper seal and secure fit
3. Make sure that the cables for the cam is not on the bulb's way. If it is, remove the screws of the housing and re-route the wires as shown.
4. I find it easiest to wire the power to the #71 fuse (just tap) and just unbolt the ground nut and tie the camera ground wire and re tighten it again (no soldering, no cutting, no use of add a fuse)
5. It will be easier to install back the trim piece while the camera is not yet secured as you will have a hard time placing the chrome trim back.

The ebay cam that I bought is even clearer than my GLKs oem cam so don't be afraid to buy them. This is how it shows during night time....not bad. You don`t really lose all of the light of the bulb.

kenju4u 11-12-2013 04:56 PM

What is FL models?

shotgun_banjo 11-13-2013 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by kenju4u (Post 5841619)
What is FL models?

Face Lift (FL) model 2012 and above.

Here is the view of the camera that I currently use.

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/s...7-27-40569.jpg

kenju4u 11-13-2013 05:29 AM

Thanks, got me worried for a sec. I have a 2010 so I am in the clear.

BTW - been meaning to ask, are those guide line built into the camera or what MB system displays?

Riviera 11-13-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Drazil (Post 5841597)
Great install and tips. Unfortunately for FL models, the bulb is molded into the housing so I had to tape mine behind the camera.

Is your lamp a led ? on my 2011 c coupe stock plate lamps are white leds.

Pascal

shotgun_banjo 11-13-2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by kenju4u (Post 5842218)
Thanks, got me worried for a sec. I have a 2010 so I am in the clear.

BTW - been meaning to ask, are those guide line built into the camera or what MB system displays?

The lines came with the camera. The oem ones are higher and thinner.

kenju4u 11-14-2013 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo (Post 5842707)
The lines came with the camera. The oem ones are higher and thinner.

So are one more accurate or are they both off? BTW does the line accuracy stay the same no matter where you mount the camera or does it vary?

Drazil 11-15-2013 05:10 PM

There are no units on the lines so it's hard to say if it's "accurate" to anything. But my lines were built into the camera and are about 1' - red, 2' - yellow and 3' - green. I mounted mine in place of the right side plate light and from there I can see the edge of my bumper so I can see if I'm too close to something. The reverse sensor alarm goes off around the red line so it matches up pretty well.

Originally Posted by kenju4u (Post 5844271)
So are one more accurate or are they both off? BTW does the line accuracy stay the same no matter where you mount the camera or does it vary?

JWH321 11-15-2013 05:58 PM

Has anyone come up with any sort of adaptor that will allow the use of both the glove box iPod adaptor and a backup camera? Were they available that way from the factory?

As I see it the FAKRA input is fully occupied with the iPod adaptor cable. Is it possible to simply splice into that cable with another set of FAKRA plugs and sockets, or can the video simply be spliced into the wires in the iPod cable (and if so, which ones)?

Any ideas??? I have an OEM camera (lucked out in a junk yard).

shotgun_banjo 11-16-2013 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by JWH321 (Post 5845176)
Has anyone come up with any sort of adaptor that will allow the use of both the glove box iPod adaptor and a backup camera? Were they available that way from the factory?

As I see it the FAKRA input is fully occupied with the iPod adaptor cable. Is it possible to simply splice into that cable with another set of FAKRA plugs and sockets, or can the video simply be spliced into the wires in the iPod cable (and if so, which ones)?

Any ideas??? I have an OEM camera (lucked out in a junk yard).

Look at the previous page where I referred how you can do this and what you need to get. In the end you cannot have both Video Aux and the backup camera at the same time (meaning accessible in a blink of a eye) without a VIM module or similar device that has multiple video inputs.

shotgun_banjo 11-16-2013 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by kenju4u (Post 5844271)

There is no accurate units of measurement on the cameras and yes it depends on where you install it. On my install the green lines are at 3', yellow at 2'ish, red at 1/2'.

kenju4u 11-25-2013 04:11 PM

Created a steps/resource list for the project if anyone else wants to use:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&usp=sharing

steven1888 11-25-2013 04:44 PM

^thanks.. also alot of good info here

kenju4u 11-26-2013 11:24 AM

So I am half way there with my install. So far I have mounted the camera and run the power wires to where they need to be. I have also enabled the reverse camera in the engineering menu with the SRVC guidelines.

One of the things I am still considering is how to run the RCA cable from the trunk to the dash. Considering running the cable from the bottom trims and then from under the passenger side carpet by the cabin air filter to the back of the radio instead of through the glove box. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on that?

Looking forward to having a reverse camera...

shotgun_banjo 11-26-2013 10:50 PM

Remove the black plastic panel below the glove box and feel the inner side of the dashboard (between the command and glovebox) and you will see that there are a few holes there that you can fish your RCA cable. I found it easier to just run the RCA cable on the bottom door trims. Post pictures of he screen after the install.

kenju4u 11-27-2013 09:35 AM

Found this video that shows exactly what you were talking about...

Riviera 11-27-2013 09:50 AM

Hello,

Just received the camera from honk kong, look a bit cheap, i'll glue the two pieces more firmly as its really easy to pull off the cam from the translucent support.

Going to install it i a few days, i had to remove the glovebox to find a rattle noise caused by the little a/c tube and it's really easy , warning while removing the undercover, the man on the video is not doing the right thing, you see the little hook at approx 1:35 and spotted with an arrow 2:35min on the video ?

There is a hole under to put a finger then push the hook to the right to unlock it instead of pulling everything like in the video.

I unfortunately damaged the hook by doing like the man in the video and see after the hole for releasing it, too late for me not a big deal it's invisible but don't do the same error :)

Pascal

kenju4u 11-27-2013 11:19 AM

WOW thats a big error thanks for giving us the heads up. I found the camera to be a little jiggly as well so i took apart the clear pieces and tightened all the screws (don't over tighten though, after all it is made in china). Might be a good idea to use glue.

Actually the camera i bought doesn't look exactly like the pictures on ebay so I don't know if its going to be the same resolution and TVLINES as in the description but there is no way for me to know until i install it. Kinda annoying and the risk i took when buying from China but its a pain to send it back and get a new one since this one took over a month to get to me...i'll just live with it if there is a problem. Maybe next time i'll buy a better one from some where local.

- Ken

Originally Posted by Riviera (Post 5857286)
Hello,

Just received the camera from honk kong, look a bit cheap, i'll glue the two pieces more firmly as its really easy to pull off the cam from the translucent support.

Going to install it i a few days, i had to remove the glovebox to find a rattle noise caused by the little a/c tube and it's really easy , warning while removing the undercover, the man on the video is not doing the right thing, you see the little hook at approx 1:35 and spotted with an arrow 2:35min on the video ?

There is a hole under to put a finger then push the hook to the right to unlock it instead of pulling everything like in the video.

I unfortunately damaged the hook by doing like the man in the video and see after the hole for releasing it, too late for me not a big deal it's invisible but don't do the same error :)

Pascal

gaymondy 11-27-2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by kenju4u (Post 5857371)
Actually the camera i bought doesn't look exactly like the pictures on ebay so I don't know if its going to be the same resolution and TVLINES as in the description but there is no way for me to know until i install it.

Just a suggestion and don't know if this will work.
Use a 12V supply, such as a jumper battery, to power up the camera, and find an old TV with a RCA input, to see what the image is like before installing in the car.

kenju4u 11-27-2013 01:44 PM

Yeah that a great suggestion and I did try that unfortunately the 12V transformer I had doesn't work as in its broken so i gave up on testing it out and I didn't want to go out and buy one from radioshack just to test so I will just find out in the car when I power it now...

Originally Posted by gaymondy (Post 5857536)
Just a suggestion and don't know if this will work.
Use a 12V supply, such as a jumper battery, to power up the camera, and find an old TV with a RCA input, to see what the image is like before installing in the car.

JWH321 11-27-2013 02:10 PM

it'll work with a 9 volt battery for testing.

Riviera 11-28-2013 04:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pict of the $16 camera from hkg:

Pascal

Riviera 11-28-2013 04:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JWH321 (Post 5857582)
it'll work with a 9 volt battery for testing.

Thanks for the tip, just tested on my tv with a 9v battery, the cam has integrated lines in meters (it's a Pal model)

Pascal

Riviera 12-05-2013 10:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Cam installed, unfortunately as a dumb idiot i broke the camera lens walking on it while installing :smash:

anyway i finished the installation even if the cam was broken and it works more or less with the broken lens, but to be honest i'm not happy with the plate light, as my car has original leds as you see in the picture below, the whole light is one piece with a special connector, i cant just remove the led and use it in the camera lamp housing, it's impossible, so i had to tap the led lamp over it but it's crap, lighthing is too dimmed for my taste.

So, i just bought another camera, but this time a simple one with a screw, i hope to install it in the pre-cut place around the light and leave the original led lights in place:

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/CCD-SONY-Rear...item1c3902bce0

Very easy to wire from the rear trunk to the command, everything invisible, the hardest part was wiring from trunk to the rear seat through the little left hole filled with grey foam (i used a hard metal wire to pull the rca cable).

Pascal