MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Help! MM Radio (No Pwr. No Blown fuses) W204 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/268074-help-mm-radio-no-pwr-no-blown-fuses-w204.html)

VaderSS 11-03-2008 10:40 PM

Help! MM Radio (No Pwr. No Blown fuses) W204

I have done a quick search and nada! The command unit has no power (from what I can tell):crazy:

Radio worked yesterday but today no power. :nix:

Here’s the info;
  • I have VIM installed.
  • Radio/Command has no background lights on.
  • ESP, hazard, heated seats and rear shade all work & have background lighting.
  • I Checked fuses in front and trunk (no passenger fuse box) and found no blown fuses.
I guess there must be a short behind the unit (Pinched wire or connection).

* My question is:
1. Can anyone tell me how to open monitor hatch with no power? (Yes, I have pushed the buttons)
2. What fuse & where is it for the command unit, since I can't find any blown? ...I believe its 11 & 26? ...I have no literature confirm.

I know how to remove the command unit.

Thanks for any help and insight!:y

white46 11-03-2008 11:10 PM

although i haven't tried it myself, i think you can remove upper vent without opening the screen.
because i used flat head screw driver from each side of vent to remove it. I don't think there was anything under the screen cover stopping removing vent.

Rick Hunter 11-03-2008 11:39 PM

Negative. The screen door needs to be open in order to remove the air vent. I wish there was a way to manually open the door.

VaderSS, this should hopefully help you out:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....8&postcount=39
The fuse box is located in the back of the engine bay, driver's side (Left Hand Drive vehicles). Unclip the 2 clips and open the cover to expose your fuses.

BTW, my COMAND unit decided to not wake up today either, so I yanked & reseated the fuses. It's OK now. This is the second time this has happened to me (first time it came back spontaneously after 2 hours). I really hate electrical gremlins. :confused:

The real question is... has this phenomenon happened to anyone who doesn't have the MidCityEngineering VIM Module installed? I don't think the VIM is the cause, although all the reports I've read about this phenomenon happened to people with a VIM Module (nyself included).

VaderSS 11-04-2008 04:07 AM

Hey Rick!
Funny yours did the same thing today! Turn back the clock issues? I wouldn’t know I live in Hawaii, we don’t reset the clocks.

Yup, I looked at that/my post as well, even looked at all the fuses. I printed out the pics (Rob @ Mid-City and your tuck-away pic of the VIM & T-harness). I’ll pull the fuses in the morning and see if that helps.

I thought the module was suspect but no stats to back it up.

Bigbodybeeenz on the C63 forum also had this happen and he has the VIM as well https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...47#post3148247

Is this happening to just us with the VIM?

Anyone else this happen to?

VaderSS 11-04-2008 01:15 PM

Rick... Guess what, it worked this morning when I moved it to get my Porsche out!:confused:

That sucks because I really wanted the patient to be sick so I could find the problem. :smash:

Chalk one up for the electronic gremlin!:crazy:

GateKeeper 11-04-2008 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by VaderSS (Post 3148857)
Rick... Guess what, it worked this morning when I moved it to get my Porsche out!:confused:

That sucks because I really wanted the patient to be sick so I could find the problem. :smash:

Perhaps the Porsche was too close to the Benz.....

just kidding

glad it's working

Cheers

white46 11-04-2008 03:39 PM

i really hate electronic stuff occationally acting up. :X

hm... makes me wonderin if my setup is going to cause any problem down the road.

rolodoc 11-04-2008 05:57 PM

I just installed VIM from midcity last weekend. So far command unit still working, but I noticed right after installing VIM that there is sometimes a delay of a few seconds from when power is turned on to the MM screen opening up. Before VIM, ther was no delay. This makes me suspect VIM causing a temporary delay in the command unit boot up. It is intermittent, and could last seconds in my case, to hours in the other reported cases. So far, the problem has been temporary but I am worried it could become permanent malfunction. Are there any ideas if the VIM is causing these glitches?

Rick Hunter 11-05-2008 01:50 AM

^^^No delay here. Interesting...

Yeah... electronic gremlins live in my other car too. :confused: Gotta love German engineering. Keeps you on your toes.

Glad everything sorted itself out.

rob13572468 11-05-2008 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by VaderSS (Post 3148253)
Hey Rick!
Funny yours did the same thing today! Turn back the clock issues? I wouldn’t know I live in Hawaii, we don’t reset the clocks.

Yup, I looked at that/my post as well, even looked at all the fuses. I printed out the pics (Rob @ Mid-City and your tuck-away pic of the VIM & T-harness). I’ll pull the fuses in the morning and see if that helps.

I thought the module was suspect but no stats to back it up.

Bigbodybeeenz on the C63 forum also had this happen and he has the VIM as well https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...47#post3148247

Is this happening to just us with the VIM?

Anyone else this happen to?

its a hidden timer I put in to keep you guys on you toes... just kidding..

Im looking into this just to be sure. I have heard of this happening in four cases out of several hundred units we have fielded and one of those was a confirmed issue with command unit itself where the dealer ended up replacing the unit under warranty. Nevertheless we always keep an eye on these situations just to make sure that we arent missing anything. A good example of this would be a small production change in hardware or software that affects a very small percentage of a particular model; MB has done this a few times with the W204 already and normally we catch them because we continuously test our interfaces on new deliveries but ocassionally the do slip one by us...

At any rate we do support our products 100% so if we do need to make a firmware change to our interface we'll ship you out an advanced replacement so you theres no sending stuff in and waiting for it to come back.

rob13572468 11-05-2008 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The command fuses in question are #11 and #26 in the front fuse center under the hood. (see pic below) Pulling the fuses will reset the command.

Bokx_350 03-18-2009 12:37 PM

I am thinking of getting MidCity's VIM, but I'm concerned about the problem explained in this thread. Have you guys experienced it again, or was it a one-time problem?? Was there a final solution other than resetting the fuses everytime it happens? Thanks!

Rick Hunter 03-18-2009 07:26 PM

This issue has happened about twice since the last time I posted (this is a daily driven car). It seems to correct itself after a couple of hours, and no fuses were needed to be pulled to reset it.

mingo 03-19-2009 01:21 AM

it really doesn't have anything to do with the VIM. mine did that before i put the VIM in. its' happened once. and sometimes mine starts up slow. but it's not something i wouldn't have expected on a german car.

chilledbenz 03-19-2009 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by white46 (Post 3149165)
i really hate electronic stuff occationally acting up. :X

hm... makes me wonderin if my setup is going to cause any problem down the road.

Wouldn't surprise me, anything that moves is going to wear out eventually. Might be the reason Benz has decided to go with the stationary screen on the GLK and new E. I'd be willing to bet when they refresh the C it will have a stationary screen as well.

On a second note...when things go wrong, specially costly things such as a MM unit..why bother messing with it yourself and voiding the warranty?

eminnet 03-19-2009 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by VaderSS (Post 3147970)
I have done a quick search and nada! The command unit has no power (from what I can tell):crazy:

Radio worked yesterday but today no power. :nix:

Here’s the info;
  • I have VIM installed.
  • Radio/Command has no background lights on.
  • ESP, hazard, heated seats and rear shade all work & have background lighting.
  • I Checked fuses in front and trunk (no passenger fuse box) and found no blown fuses.
I guess there must be a short behind the unit (Pinched wire or connection).

* My question is:
1. Can anyone tell me how to open monitor hatch with no power? (Yes, I have pushed the buttons)
2. What fuse & where is it for the command unit, since I can't find any blown? ...I believe its 11 & 26? ...I have no literature confirm.

I know how to remove the command unit.

Thanks for any help and insight!:y

I had same problem some time ago (MM no VIM) and I was programmed to service. One day before I had to go to service, I tapped and pushed a little on the relays in the right side in the trunk and since then is working.

VaderSS 04-13-2009 07:00 PM

Crap not again!

Dang thing did it again... But I bet it will be working tomorrow!:crazy:

Nuru 04-14-2009 07:56 PM

Maybe a check of the trunk SAM unit is in order - eminnet says that worked. might be worth a try?

macdade 05-17-2013 09:18 AM

08 W204

i have an 08 w204 with base audio...no nav just the 6-cd, radio and manual audio hatch with stationary display. the unit shut off three days ago. it has happened once before but powered back on in a couple of hours. i checked and reset fuses 26 and 84 per the fuse diagram but i have not done the same to 11 assuming it is there, as central display may mean something different.

i read the unit itself has a fuse in it that can blow and can be replaced by pulling the unit. is this a true statement if anyone has experience with it?

iulianpopa 03-21-2016 10:06 AM

hello, somebody find the solution to this?
thanks

tony4now 04-30-2019 03:22 PM

This has nothing to do with the VIM. I had the same problem where the radio would turn on one day and then wouldn't turn on for a couple of days. Did this for about a week until it wouldn't turn on at all. Took the car to Short Circuit in San Jose and for $80x2 ($80 to remove and $80 to re-install), they took out the radio without messing with the VIM (not sure and really didn't care) and provided free troubleshooting. Turns out the power supply was bad and the motherboard also had issues. They replaced both and now the radio works. However, because the newest version of the motherboard did not include the Sat Radio and Media Interface as standard options, they are still messing about with it. But suffice it to say, radio not coming on and VIM not opening has nothing to do with the VIM and everything to do with the radio because the VIM gets it power from the radio.

Just a note - seems like a lot of Mercedes Benz have radio problems regardless of model or year, really a bummer for cars that are not cheap in price but lately cheap in quality.

Alfadude 04-30-2019 03:41 PM

"Just a note - seems like a lot of Mercedes Benz have radio problems regardless of model or year, really a bummer for cars that are not cheap in price but lately cheap in quality."

I don't know about that. This thread is like 10 1/2 years old with 20 posts and not all of them had the radio issues. The last two were posted in 2013 and 2016. I would hardly call that a lot of problems considering the hundreds of thousands of W204s sold in that time. Even then, it might not have even been for a quaility issue from the factory. Now if you were talking about the steering interlock.........................

tony4now 04-30-2019 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude (Post 7745264)
"Just a note - seems like a lot of Mercedes Benz have radio problems regardless of model or year, really a bummer for cars that are not cheap in price but lately cheap in quality."

I don't know about that. This thread is like 10 1/2 years old with 20 posts and not all of them had the radio issues. The last two were posted in 2013 and 2016. I would hardly call that a lot of problems considering the hundreds of thousands of W204s sold in that time. Even then, it might not have even been for a quaility issue from the factory. Now if you were talking about the steering interlock.........................

Actually, the shop that is working on my radio had two S550’s sitting outside their shop with radio problems and several more that were just delivered via a UPS. The owner of the shop says he has seen a lot of these radios go bad, so based on my own eyes and someone in the business of fixing radios, Inwould say there is a problem regardless of how old the original post is.

Spencer Lofgran 09-30-2019 07:07 PM

Pop up screen issues

I have a 2011 c63 amg.

Anyone had issues where the screen will go up & down when it wants? It star when the screen would open half way and then stop. I’d have to keep pushing the open/close button to get it open.. sometimes it doesn’t go down either.

Is it a a fuse or the screen?

JonGraham 11-15-2019 03:11 PM

2013 C250, Same Issue

Hey guys, I have a 2013 C250 here with stationary screen. There is no power to the Comand or the radio. No blown fuses that I can find. Attempting a soft reset now for the second time. Next option seems to be to pulling the unit. Have there been any new successful attempt to fix this issue?