MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   iPhone 3G & W204 -- address book (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/268847-iphone-3g-w204-address-book.html)

Pit-Pony 11-09-2008 10:07 AM

iPhone 3G & W204 -- address book

Has anyone managed to download theire address book contacts from the iPhone to the car?

It didn't dio it automatically when it was paired and Vcard download dosn't do anything as the iPhone dosn't have a way to initiate the download.

..jack

white46 11-09-2008 10:13 AM

iPhone's bluetooth only supports voice transfer. No data transfer.

C300Sport 11-09-2008 09:47 PM

I having been trying to figure this one out myselft and now am thinking of trying to pair my iphone synced bluetooth laptop to the car. That should let me use outlook to send the data over...I think... Has anyone tried this?

Pit-Pony 11-09-2008 10:38 PM

How would initiate the transfer with Outlook to the car?

There doesn't appear to be a mechanism to upload the data through Laptop Bluetooth.

I'm thinking more towards using another older spare phone, an old Motorola I have lying around, sync it with outlook, than pairing it to the car, uploading the address book and than just go back to using the iPhone.

Clumsy for updates but may work to transfer the initial bulk of the data.

glw 11-10-2008 01:29 AM

save each contact, individually, from outlook as a vcard to the root of a memory card... then put the card in the car and import from the comand menu

Kieffer 11-10-2008 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by glw (Post 3159172)
save each contact, individually, from outlook as a vcard to the root of a memory card... then put the card in the car and import from the comand menu

I did this through Outlook and just copied all the vcards to the memory card. It copied them all to the car's address book in about a half a second! Somewhere on here, there's a thread that gives more detailed instructions on how to do this.

Pit-Pony 11-10-2008 12:11 PM

That worked. I copied a few of the addresses from Outlook to Vcard files. Tedious if you have a lot but I only copied a few for noe.

Diesel Benz 11-10-2008 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by white46 (Post 3158237)
iPhone's bluetooth only supports voice transfer. No data transfer.

I don't think that is completely correct. The 3G iPhone does transfer the phone book when used with third party devices like the ViseeO adapter at an MB.

The way I've understood this is that iPhone (first generation) initially worked fine with the MB adapter (in Europe at least, the HFP adapter only though, iPhone does not support BT SAP) but at a certain iPhone SW upgrade this all stopped working. The 3G version has been the same from the first SW release.

It is a compatibility issue and I assume Apple is blaming MB (as their device works with an adapter that accepts a bit faulty designs) and MB is blaming Apple (because it used to work with iPhone before their SW changes).