C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Parktronic curiosity

Old 11-27-2008, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
Parktronic curiosity

Hi,

Here in Europe, we can order straight from the factory the option Partronic which basically gives radar parking aide in the front and in the back.

What I found the other day, is that the reverse radar aide works all the time and not only in reverse as I was expecting. I'm not sure if my old Volvo was also like that but I'm pretty sure I never heard a bip when a pedestrian crossed the street behind my car.

What do you guys think ? Is there a logic to this behaviour ? I'm already annoyed when the bloody thing starts beeping in the front whenever a bike or a pedestrian crosses in front of it. Now also in the back...
Old 11-27-2008, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Originally Posted by dragonii
Hi,

Here in Europe, we can order straight from the factory the option Partronic which basically gives radar parking aide in the front and in the back.

What I found the other day, is that the reverse radar aide works all the time and not only in reverse as I was expecting. I'm not sure if my old Volvo was also like that but I'm pretty sure I never heard a bip when a pedestrian crossed the street behind my car.

What do you guys think ? Is there a logic to this behaviour ? I'm already annoyed when the bloody thing starts beeping in the front whenever a bike or a pedestrian crosses in front of it. Now also in the back...
That isn't normal, you have to go back to your dealer i think.

I have Parktronic, and it only goes on when i'm in reverse.

The front always goes on if you drive under 20 km/ph.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Hi,

I wish I had your post to refer to when owners complain that the MB Parktronic only gives an audible warning when an object is very close. Think of it when you are already suffering from pedestrians at the front of the car (by the way, if you stop a metre before the pedestrian crossing, it should help, if not, you should be entitled to use your horn every time Parktronic beeps ).

But the rear sensors do not seem to work right. Very odd since the reverse signal would come from the CAN bus, it should not be possible that this would be continuously on.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:07 AM

Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
Yes, I just recently found, to my back bumper's expense, that the beeping sound comes too late for confort. You really have to look at the LEDs in the ceilling when reversing, something I didn't had to do with my previous car.

Also, the radar is a bit slow to engage. Sometimes it beeps when I've already passed the obstacle...
Old 11-28-2008, 05:50 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Yes, I just recently found, to my back bumper's expense, that the beeping sound comes too late for confort. You really have to look at the LEDs in the ceilling when reversing, something I didn't had to do with my previous car.

Also, the radar is a bit slow to engage. Sometimes it beeps when I've already passed the obstacle...
No complains here. make sure when you wash the car you clean the sensor surfaces gently. The rear sensor only works when you are in reverse. But if someone comes too close to your rear bumber the front leds will trun RED but wont beep if you are not in the reverse gear.

I do not know how fast you reverse but the tone does come on pretty quickly. Almost immidiate. Also Its not wise anyway to go reverse and only relay on the sound coming from system for obsticales.

Also take care in Snow. If there is a layer of snow on the front bumber or rear the sensors will not. But you get a led waring anyway while the car is slowly moving below 20km.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005

I'm lost with this. Are you claiming you can hit an object when reversing before the warning sound appears? You must be reversing far too fast in this case.

With radar you must be referring to the acoustic sensors? You mean you drive towards an object and the warning comes only after you have passed the object? Didn't you hit the object then.

The delay for the warning tone should not be really noticeable, if you know that it only comes with red leds, not along with the yellow ones. Perhaps your Parktronic is faulty?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Originally Posted by Petje
That isn't normal, you have to go back to your dealer i think.

I have Parktronic, and it only goes on when i'm in reverse.

The front always goes on if you drive under 20 km/ph.
Forgot to mention, if the transmission is in NEUTRAL they both activated. (auto transmission)
Old 11-28-2008, 03:31 PM

Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I'm lost with this. Are you claiming you can hit an object when reversing before the warning sound appears? You must be reversing far too fast in this case.

With radar you must be referring to the acoustic sensors? You mean you drive towards an object and the warning comes only after you have passed the object? Didn't you hit the object then.

The delay for the warning tone should not be really noticeable, if you know that it only comes with red leds, not along with the yellow ones. Perhaps your Parktronic is faulty?
Yes, I'm probably reversing too fast but not faster than I did in my previous car where the sound come much sooner.

Concerning the sound delay, a pratical example would reversing out of my garage box and then turning the wheel when the car is almost out to put it in the rignt road direction. At that time, the front sensors pick up the garage walls as I'm already passing them.

My "problem" is that I don't tend to look at the LEDS since, for me, the whole purpose of the radar is to back up without looking back all the time. But I'm guessing used to them...
Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Concerning the sound delay, a pratical example would reversing out of my garage box and then turning the wheel when the car is almost out to put it in the rignt road direction. At that time, the front sensors pick up the garage walls as I'm already passing them.
Now this makes sense. It is entirely reasonable that the forward looking sensors would react late to things that come into view when the car is in reverse. Similar for the rear when the car is moving forward.

I don't see it as a defect or even as a problem. If you want to detect the opposite direction, can you re-mount the sensors to the corners?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
On the subject of Parktronic...anyone know how to turn it off permanently? I have it on my R class and can turn it off using the button but it comes back on when I shut the ignition off and start the car again.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:54 AM

Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
Originally Posted by Petje
Forgot to mention, if the transmission is in NEUTRAL they both activated. (auto transmission)
True. Tested it myself as well the rear Parktronic to see if my first impression was correct. Well, it isn't. It doesn't beep when you're in D. So I guess that the beep I witnessed was either a one-off malfunction of the system or two pedestrians passed at the same time, one in front and one at the rear and I only noticed the later. Old age kicking in ?

Concerning turning it off permanently, well, here in Europe is a option so to turn it off completely, just don't order it..However, I find it very useful and I couldn't now live without it since parking in Europe towns is probably a bit more complex than doing it in the vast NA spaces. But, if I had the choice, I would never order the front radar one. Frankly, more an annoyance than anything else since it is on all the time.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Mine turns off..problem is it turns back on every time you turn the car off, makes it annoying to have to hit the button every time. I picked my R class off the lot and didn't have a choice on options or I would never have ordered parktronic.