C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

loose dashboard part causes noise/vibration. (+ back to dealer for multiple issues)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Question loose dashboard part causes noise/vibration. (+ back to dealer for multiple issues)

I'm going to make an appointment next week to have multiple issues fixed:

- auto gearbox not shifting smoothly when driving at speeds below 60kms.

- wipers/rainsensors working very erratically + no difference between
position 1 (operation with low sensitivity) & 2 (high)

- left wiper (ball bearing?) making a squeeking noise

- wind noise left rear window (2nd visit..)

the latest problem is a loose panel which vibrates (usually when the engine
and or interior is cold).

It's the bottom part of the hood which hangs above the display.
(ie; not the "rubber" top part, but the plastic part)

this part is well fixed on the right side (see red dot on pic)
but on the left side it is SLIGHTLY loose, causing it to vibrate.

Before taking it in, i would like to know if anybody else has/had this problem
and if it's jus a matter of tightening a screw...?

Cheers,
Egon

Last edited by Egonvdv; 11-29-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

reeally nobody here who had a similar issue with their dash...?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport
I have a similar issue with a dash rattle on the left side. It is intermittent and only happens on very rough roads but it is there. I couldn't exactly locate it but I took the C300 Sport to the dealer and of course they "couldn't duplicate the issue". Now that I read your post I'm going to try and locate the rattle in the hood. It is definitly a "plastic" sound.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

tap a bit on top of the hood,
you should be able to hear the vibration/ratle
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 6speed
ya i have the same rattle in the dash, have no idea where and it only happens sometimes.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM

2008 C350 Sport, 2007 ML320 CDI
I had that exact rattle / buzz over the gauges when the car was new. They put double-sided felt on the inside of that panel, and it's never made a noise again. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:18 PM

C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
tap a bit on top of the hood,
you should be able to hear the vibration/ratle
thanks for the info. I will check it out later today.
I would love to live in Marseille... But I have to settle for San Diego.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM

2008 C300
I have had a rattle/noise that has been driving me crazy lately..and dammit if it only happens in the morning when I am headed to work...and it is cold outside. It is driving me NUTS...I thought it was my keys...or some kind of "static" coming thru the speakers.....but I will check it out on my way home tonight. (I am at my desk). I HOPE that this is the problem, because the noise seemed to be coming from the dashboard somewhere on the left side...and it was TRULY making me nuts. I couldn't duplicate it....but will sure check it out.

Thanks for posting.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
[QUOTE=Egonvdv;3193140]

/QUOTE]

The very erratic part is normal, every Benz I've owned has been that way. Drive under a tree after a rain storm and a few drops can kick them into high mode, but a sudden down pour doing 65mph and they stay in low. The no difference between position 1 and 2 seems odd though.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

/QUOTE]

The very erratic part is normal, every Benz I've owned has been that way. Drive under a tree after a rain storm and a few drops can kick them into high mode, but a sudden down pour doing 65mph and they stay in low. [/QUOTE]

Really?

Well then it's a pretty **** system....
Old 12-07-2008, 06:05 PM
lug

C320 CDI 4matic Brabus D6(III), Black.(SOLD). Current - EQE 350 W295
[QUOTE=chilledbenz;3195827]
Originally Posted by Egonvdv

/QUOTE]

The very erratic part is normal, every Benz I've owned has been that way. Drive under a tree after a rain storm and a few drops can kick them into high mode, but a sudden down pour doing 65mph and they stay in low. The no difference between position 1 and 2 seems odd though.
I've had my car for under one week and it has been raining for most of it. One thing I noticed was that every now and then the wipers would go beserk when I braked even when there was a light rain. At first I thought that the system was faulty and it was a while before I realised that the water droplets from the roof would stream down over the sensor every time I braked sending the wipers into a frenzy.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 PM

2015 Iridium Silver Luxury Edition C300 4Matic
I had the same intermittent rattle. Dealer removed top covering and installed some padding. Never happened afterwards.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 AM

Same rattle here, only when temp outside is below 50 degrees. It disappears either when I push slightly down on top, or when I push slightly against the clear platic cover over the instruments. Dealer has been "unable to replicate" thus far.

Also have a creak from the rear in similar low temps. Rattle disappears when my son pushes on the headrests, of all things. Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 PM

Mercedes Benz C 300 sport
Angry thump in glove box

the day after i brought mine home it sounded like there was something sliding around in the glove box. so i took everything out (my insurance and registration they must have weighted 20 lb, by the sound they were making). Guess what, 5 minutes later thump!!!! anybody know what this could be or anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM

2008 C300 Sport Sedan: Panarama Roof, P2, Multimedia
i have the exact same rattle by the speedometer. Have you brought it in yet? Rattles are tough cause it's hard for the dealers to replicate it. Let me know how it works out.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
It has happened to me too.... It is very annoying!!
It happens only when the car is in idle, and it is comming from that exact place, the instrument cluster. If I tap on the hood it will sound more.

It is not always there, so i'm affraid I will lose my time if I take it to the dealer for this; also, they might give me crap about me messing around the center console because of my COMAND retrofit.

Anyone figured how to fix this without taking it to the dealer??
Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Proper rain sensor operation requires the screen to be free of silicone or any hint of salt or mineral deposit in the sensor area or it messes with defraction. Clean the screen properly with a very light abrasive in the sensor area. - DO NOT SCRATCH.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kieffer
I had that exact rattle / buzz over the gauges when the car was new. They put double-sided felt on the inside of that panel, and it's never made a noise again. Good luck!
1st they changed the whole panel, which made the noise worse.

took it back again & explained them about the above technique.
i actually told them: just stuff toilet paper in there, i don't care,
as long as it works

What they did the 2nd time i don't know, but probably nothing...;

New appointment in 2 weeks (insert smiley banging it's head against a wall)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 PM

w204 180K
I have exactly the same noise in my w204 2010. How have you guys solve the problem? My car's 15,000 km Service is only 1,500km away. Shall I have it fixed at the service, or is there any practical solution to it, which I can apply by myself? Thank you.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I have a two rattles, one would be either the passenger speaker, or glovebox (or both at different times) and then the other rattle comes from the rear passenger side, could be the headrest as someone else mentioned? But it is driving me NUTS!

Secondly, I also have the wind noise coming from my rear driver side window or somewhere near. Of course, the dealer is "unable to replicate." PLEASE let me know how you make out, lol!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by jctevere
I have a two rattles, one would be either the passenger speaker, or glovebox (or both at different times) and then the other rattle comes from the rear passenger side, could be the headrest as someone else mentioned? But it is driving me NUTS!

Secondly, I also have the wind noise coming from my rear driver side window or somewhere near. Of course, the dealer is "unable to replicate." PLEASE let me know how you make out, lol!
have the same wind noise right by my left ear when driving.. makes me nuts!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
For wind noise, check this thread and examine your car for this potential issue.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...e-windows.html

The fix helped a lot, and now the noise seems primarily to be from the 09 style side mirrors.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM

Serpent S966
Originally Posted by jctevere

The one you hear from the passenger speaker or as if it is behind a glove box, it is actually the engine hood that is not adjusted correctly. That is what I found out today from my service manager. Try to push/slide your hood forward and backward to make sure if you hear the same sound.

How? Stand by passenger vender side facing toward the other vender. Grab the engine hood top side (toward windshield side) by the edge with one of you hand. Then put the other hand on top of the hood bottom side (near front light). Now grab hard and try to move the hood forward (toward windshield) and backward (towards the front of the car). I hear the exact same creaking sounds as I heard from interior.

This also happened to the new E.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 AM

2008 C350 Sport
I too have this buzzing plastic sound coming from the dash that has progressively worsened in the last 4-6 months. Thanks to this thread I was able to track it to the dash but not sure if it's the instrument cluster or not... I initially thought that it sounded like a buzzing with the intake since I only hear the buzzing during acceleration. IT IS STARTING TO DRIVE ME CRAZY THOUGH so going to have the dealership look at it on Thursday when they replacing that rubber "truss" in front of the radio display that is peeling up.

Has anyone who had this problem, had it fixed successfully? One of you noted that it was fixed by installing some padding. Is there a TSB for this as it seems to be a very common problem on this car. It really takes away from the great engine sound during hard acceleration when all I can think of is that damn buzzing sound. I sure hope that they fix it this week.