MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Recommendation for DVD-Audio music to listen in our car? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/274833-recommendation-dvd-audio-music-listen-our-car.html)

axhoaxho 12-21-2008 02:12 AM

Recommendation for DVD-Audio music to listen in our car?

Greetings,

Sorry I am not an audiophile, thus I have never listened to DVD-Audio music before...

When my wife got her C350 a couple weeks ago, I found that there was a Mercedes-Harman/Kardon DVD-Audio disc inside the manual package. This DVD-Audio disc has some showcase music on it. When I tried out the DVD-Audio music in the car... Wow, the surround sound quality was very impressive!

When I listened to regular CD music disc again, the difference was obvious.

Now I am trying to look for more DVD-Audio music disc, so to enjoy the Harmon/Kardon surround sound system. Can you audiophile-folks recommend any DVD-Audio music disc to use in our car?

Thanks, and with best regards,
- Alex.

lug 12-21-2008 03:51 AM

There doesn't seem o be a lot of selection to choose from unfortunately - or at least I haven't found them.

An oldie to listen to is "The Dark Side Of The Moon" by Pink Floyd. A DTS version was released some time ago and the sound swirling around the car adds to the already wonderful and trippy sound. I have also listened to two albums by Seal (I and II) and a compilation one by Enigma. I'm in the process of getting my hands on other ones.

You are right once you listen to a DTS/Surround audio track, music that isn't surround sounds flat in comparison. The HK sound option has possibly been the best addon I chose for this car, especially since discovering surround audio. :)

Diesel Benz 12-21-2008 04:24 AM

What about standard music video DVDs, those should have 5.1 audio. Less music per DVD of course.

lug 12-21-2008 11:53 AM

Another one for the list - AERO by Jean Michel Jarre (the DVD Audio version of course). Excellent album to show off the HK system.

myinternetsucks 12-21-2008 12:39 PM

if your into rock music you can buy the black album from metallica's website. its sounds amazing on the system! then of course theres 2 albums from nine inch nails, with teeth and downward spiral, 2 great albums that are dual disc cd's (cd on one side DVD-Audio on the other). give those a listen to

webada 12-21-2008 03:27 PM

Queen, A night at the opera with Bohemian Rhapsody.

sleewell 12-21-2008 07:02 PM

queens of the stone have an awesome dvd, its like 3.5 hours. its one of my favs. the who, led zeppelin johnny cash also have a few that rock. i am into jambands too and phish, widespread panic and the grateful dead have numberous dvds that get regular rotation in my car. i search on amazon for really good deals all the time. i agree with you once you listen to dvds its hard to go back to cds.

myinternetsucks 12-21-2008 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by sleewell (Post 3231268)
queens of the stone have an awesome dvd, its like 3.5 hours. its one of my favs. the who, led zeppelin johnny cash also have a few that rock. i am into jambands too and phish, widespread panic and the grateful dead have numberous dvds that get regular rotation in my car. i search on amazon for really good deals all the time. i agree with you once you listen to dvds its hard to go back to cds.

jam bands huh.......you like The Mars Volta?

sleewell 12-21-2008 10:55 PM

havent been able to get into them, but some people really love them. before ever really listening to them i saw them live and it was a complete mess. i have never been so confused at a concert while sober in my whole life. the guitar player had the nicest rig i have almost ever seen and i couldnt make out one thing he was trying to play, it all sounded like a sloppy mess. no offense intended if thats your favorite band, but its just is not my cup of tea.

myinternetsucks 12-22-2008 02:43 PM

oh yeah the sickest rig! orange amps and......uggg. just sick! well give their first album a listen to Deloused in the Comatorium. good times there....:y there new stuff takes a lot of pot to listen to:rolf:

misterng 12-22-2008 04:49 PM

Download for free Mercedes Mixed Tape in mp3 format and it's sound pretty good too!

http://www3.mercedes-benz.com/mixedtape/mixedtape.html

flagman 12-22-2008 09:27 PM

Been listening to DVD-A for almost 4 yrs. now in my TL. There is not a huge selection of DVD-A material out there. The Best Buy near me used to have a decent selection, you might try your local store. Try this online store also

http://store.acousticsounds.com/cate...?start=1&id=23

axhoaxho 12-23-2008 01:13 AM

Thanks everyone. There're some good suggestions here.

With best regards,
- Alex.

desi_benz 12-25-2008 02:08 PM

I just burned my self a music audio dvd

Kieffer 12-25-2008 03:42 PM

I've gone on Ebay to acquire about 10 DVD-Audio recordings. I'm a bit of a classic-rock fan, so my purchases were focused on that category. But Ebay is one of the best ways to acquire them. Many DVD-A recordings are out of print ("OOP" on some ebay listings). Here are the most amazing ones I've heard:

Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (unbelievable remastering for 5.1);
Emerson Lake & Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery (if you like this recording, you'll never want to leave your car);
Fleetwood Mac's Rumors;
Santana's Supernatural;
The Eagle's Hotel California; and
Queen's A Night At The Opera.

Also, if you search for DTS CDs, which our system can also play, you might find some interesting stuff from overseas sellers, where DTS was a very popular format (but your search on Ebay might come up with some ugly Cadillacs!). I picked up the Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over" live recording. The quality is amazing for a CD!

I also found some that weren't that good. I love R.E.M., but I found that their DVD-As just don't have that "WOW FACTOR" when you hear them. They just sound like good recordings, but when compared to recordings like "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," they just weren't worth the cost.

I do have Metallica's black album on DVD-A, which, as mentioned above, is pretty damned amazing. A friend is supposed to get me the long-rumored DVD-A of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Because Sony records has Pink Floyd's music (most of it, anyway), they release stuff in the competing format, SACD, which sucks in comparison to DVD-A. So, rumor has it that Pink Floyd released it in DVD-A format on the net as a bootleg. Who knows.

My other half says "Some days I think you'd just be happier living in that car." Hmmmm... could be correct! :)

desi_benz 12-25-2008 04:05 PM

i also tried looking for Mercedes-Harman/Kardon DVD-Audio disc
couldn't find it in my manual package (im from Canada maybe we dont get it here)

lug 12-25-2008 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 3237274)
A friend is supposed to get me the long-rumored DVD-A of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Because Sony records has Pink Floyd's music (most of it, anyway), they release stuff in the competing format, SACD, which sucks in comparison to DVD-A. So, rumor has it that Pink Floyd released it in DVD-A format on the net as a bootleg. Who knows.

Someone converted the SACD to DVD-A. It might not be the real McCoy but it sounds excellent.

Kieffer 12-25-2008 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by lug (Post 3237317)
Someone converted the SACD to DVD-A. It might not be the real McCoy but it sounds excellent.

So that's the story behind it. I can't wait to hear it, as I've never heard the SACD version.

C300Man 12-25-2008 06:08 PM

sorry for any ignorance question but what is consists of a DVD-Audio? 256kbps or higher bit rate? Is average CD's is recorded around that bit-rate? thanks

ctgilles 12-29-2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by C300Man (Post 3237408)
sorry for any ignorance question but what is consists of a DVD-Audio? 256kbps or higher bit rate? Is average CD's is recorded around that bit-rate? thanks

It's lossless combined with surround. Utterly useless imo :) Lossless is good enough for me. Hell, even mp3 is.
I don't hear a difference but that's because I have bad hearing. Too much clubbing :D

myinternetsucks 12-29-2008 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by C300Man (Post 3237408)

read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio
and this:
http://www.modernhometheater.com/how...dio/index.html

youll find all the info about dvd-audio with these two websites

Kieffer 12-29-2008 01:24 PM

And if you can't hear the difference between DVD-A and even the best MP3, yes, you have hearing damage. The difference is incredible.

myinternetsucks 12-29-2008 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ctgilles (Post 3241691)
. Too much clubbing :D

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...g_7a.widec.jpg

Kieffer 12-29-2008 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by myinternetsucks (Post 3241919)

That high-pitched noise will ruin your hearing every time!

flagman 01-05-2009 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by desi_benz (Post 3237190)
I just burned my self a music audio dvd

How did you do that?