MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Potential owner... advice? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/276284-potential-owner-advice.html)

Freelancer 01-02-2009 01:11 PM

Potential owner... advice?

Hey guys. I'm looking into leasing a 2009 C300 4matic. I just graduated college and started working. After 7 years of driving beat down cars, including a Ford minivan and a 1992 Toyota Tercel, I'm really looking forward to this.

So I was wondering why most of you have chosen Mercedes over BMW or Audi. I looked into all three. I looked into the Audi A4 2.0T Quattro, and the BMW 328xi as well.

I test drove these cars, and I have to admit I'm leaning towards the C300 Sport more than anything. I live in the northeast, Boston area to be specific, so that's why I'm looking into getting the 4matic.

The only downside I see in the car is that I can't get it in manual transmission. And the automatic transmission shifts pretty slow, or am I the only one to have noticed that?

How much can I expect maintenance to cost me?

I'm open to any sort of advice, comments, or help that one can offer.

There's a whole story of how I wasn't even considering Mercedes. For a long time I just thought it was a cliche car for the older people. That changed soon after I drove the car.

gfm1989 01-02-2009 01:30 PM

welcome to the merc club. i chose merc c class because my parents have been driving BMWs for decades and one thing i noticed is that they break down easily. My dad had a new 2008 BMW 6 series and there were way too many problems with it after a year or so.
i love my c. its my first car and i'm very satisfied with her.
Good luck!

whiteongrey 01-02-2009 01:58 PM

MB was the choice because:

1 - Audi and BMW are so populous wanted something different.

2. Looks the best and liked the interior the most

3. Best dollar value.

myinternetsucks 01-02-2009 02:00 PM

tbh, hows the weather out there? a lot of snow and ice? if so then the 4-matic is what you need but if not dont opt for the extra 3,000 for it. i would rather spend that in options like navi, p1 and p2, and better rims. maintenance is pretty simple and straight forward. A service can run anywhere between $150-250 depending on your dealership costs, which falls at the first year of ownership or 15,000 miles. service B is about double in both aspects of service A. not really that much when you break it down monthly. considering a domestic car would have needed 3 oil changes by then, and so forth. The gas tank in the car is pretty small considering the size of the car about 17Gal empty. I fill up about once a week and average about 1000 miles a month. Depending on the trip youll get anywhere from 17-22 mpg in town and about 22-27 MPG hwy. once i got 29 MPG hwy on a long trip. but im sure a 4-matic will get less. hope this helps

SpeedDemon 01-02-2009 02:06 PM

It would be worthwhile to look into the 335i xDrive as well. They are really incredible cars when ordered with the right options (sport package mostly). The 335's engine makes the C300's feel about half as powerful.

With that said, both are great cars.

ismeto 01-02-2009 02:22 PM

Look at this link latest review about 2009 C 300

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...c63_amg_review

Freelancer 01-02-2009 06:22 PM

^ Thanks for the link. I've been looking at reviews and haven't seen a single negative one yet.

tbh, hows the weather out there? a lot of snow and ice? if so then the 4-matic is what you need but if not dont opt for the extra 3,000 for it. i would rather spend that in options like navi, p1 and p2, and better rims. maintenance is pretty simple and straight forward. A service can run anywhere between $150-250 depending on your dealership costs, which falls at the first year of ownership or 15,000 miles. service B is about double in both aspects of service A. not really that much when you break it down monthly. considering a domestic car would have needed 3 oil changes by then, and so forth. The gas tank in the car is pretty small considering the size of the car about 17Gal empty. I fill up about once a week and average about 1000 miles a month. Depending on the trip youll get anywhere from 17-22 mpg in town and about 22-27 MPG hwy. once i got 29 MPG hwy on a long trip. but im sure a 4-matic will get less. hope this helps
That's some useful information. Thanks!
New England weather for the most part is highly unpredictable. Winters are worst. It's either extremely snowy or not.
Most older people, including my parents, are really pushing me to get the 4matic, but some of the younger gentlemen that I've spoken to said that rear drive is not such a problem in the winter, you just have to be very careful.
Do any of you have the car in manual transmission? I noticed a very pleasant feedback from the clutch, as well as a beautiful feel on the gearbox. This is what's holding me back from getting the 4matic, since it doesn't come with manual transmission.

It would be worthwhile to look into the 335i xDrive as well. They are really incredible cars when ordered with the right options (sport package mostly). The 335's engine makes the C300's feel about half as powerful.

With that said, both are great cars.
I did test drive the 335xi actually. It's an amazing car, very powerful. But also has a much higher price tag than the C300.

Robbio204 01-02-2009 06:36 PM

consider all the options and if u feel that u really want the 4matic go for it depending on the driving conditions in ur area and how often it snows...the rear wheel drive isnt that good in the snow, but i dont really expect it to be...
also, many feel that they want to upgrade the rims after they purchase so maybe consider that like the amg ones...
i kinda wish i got the lighting, but the price builds up quick....
and since u just graduated i would def recommend the sport trim

Bostprep 01-02-2009 09:09 PM

hey Freelancer

I was in the same boat as you last month. I graduated and got my Master's and was given a choice of any gift from my partner.

I too looked at BMW, Audi, VW and Mercedes. Of all of them, I chose my 2009 Mercedes c300 sport 4matic and love it. I have had it for a month and been driving all over here in Boston, even in the snow with no problems.

Shoot me an email and I will give you all the details about how I shopped around in New England and got what I wanted. Who to avoid and all the details ....

My partner is an Audi A 4 owner with Manual transmission and even approved and enjoys my ride...

Best!

CarGuru 01-02-2009 09:35 PM

I choose the C-Class (300 Sport) specifically because of the looks, it recalls styling cues and a shape reminiscent of the old 190 2.3 16 a car I lusted after as a kid. What I like is while as a kid that car was considered a hot performer with it's 185hp, our W204 C300 Sport cranks out 228hp and I wouldn't be hard pressed if I could beat the old 190 2.3 16 around a track today with the new car.

Also the new A4 and CTS Cadillac weren't out yet when we were looking for a car for my wife. Today I honestly would have got the CTS or the Audi A4 but hind sights 20/20. My wife's car although is very sporty and handles brilliantly feels and looks too feminine for my like at times. My wife and I looked at a CTS and new A4 a few weeks ago for poops & giggles and both cars feel more refined and comfortable than our W204. I actually like the larger cabin of the CTS and the jaw dropping elegant but macho looks of that car better but prefer the interior and overall refinement of the Audi.

If I lived where snow & Ice were common I wouldn't even bat an eye at the C300 4matic. People here love theirs, but growing up in a family with various Audi's there is no substitute for the Quattro system, it's that good. Here in the US the 4-Matic saps up too much of the 3.0 liter engines already just adequate power to be spirited when dry out IMO. I don't know I had one of the first W204, early build car bought it August 2007 and have put 22K on the ticker since. It's been a good car but I honestly think the new A4 & CTS Caddy are a better overall package.

-Ryan

TheDarkSide 01-02-2009 10:12 PM

It was a toss up between the the C300 4Matic and the IS250 AWD for me.

The Lexus' interior was a lot better with a beautiful white stitched black leather, black wood trim, and I could get nav for the same price as a PO1 package (no nav) Merc. But the exterior of the Merc was so beautiful and the interior was roomier.

I also got a better deal on the Merc. I could only negotiate the 09 Lexus (msrp $37,900) down $3750. I negotiated the Merc (msrp $37,600) to $32,065. It was one of the last 08's on the lot and I negotiated back and forth for ever.

RLE 01-02-2009 11:51 PM

Costs

Originally Posted by Freelancer (Post 3248497)
Hey guys. I'm looking into leasing a 2009 C300 4matic. I just graduated college and started working. <<BIG SNIP>>
So I was wondering why most of you have chosen Mercedes over BMW or Audi. I looked into all three. I looked into the Audi A4 2.0T Quattro, and the BMW 328xi as well. I'm open to any sort of advice, comments, or help that one can offer.

One more thing you must consider is comparative insurance costs. Don't do this online but instead speak to an agent that represents various companies.

I don't believe I would deal with Geico, for example. They are the outfit that contributed big money a while back to the anti-radar detector faction.

Freelancer 01-03-2009 03:40 PM

also, many feel that they want to upgrade the rims after they purchase so maybe consider that like the amg ones...
i kinda wish i got the lighting, but the price builds up quick....
and since u just graduated i would def recommend the sport trim
Where can i get these rims, and how much can i expect them to cost? I'm pretty new to the whole car-customization stuff. On the other hand, I also think that a lot of the custom cars I've seen are just overdone and look stupid to be honest :P
Isn't it called "ricing" the car?
For me, changing rims is an exception. It's when people get into ridiculously large spoilers, 8 inch exhaust pipes and lambo doors when it makes me stifle a laugh.

If anything, I'd want to look into performance upgrades, rather than just looks.

hey Freelancer

I was in the same boat as you last month. I graduated and got my Master's and was given a choice of any gift from my partner.

I too looked at BMW, Audi, VW and Mercedes. Of all of them, I chose my 2009 Mercedes c300 sport 4matic and love it. I have had it for a month and been driving all over here in Boston, even in the snow with no problems.

Shoot me an email and I will give you all the details about how I shopped around in New England and got what I wanted. Who to avoid and all the details ....

My partner is an Audi A 4 owner with Manual transmission and even approved and enjoys my ride...

Best!
oh nice. yeah ill definitely drop you a message then. I drove a manual 08 Audi A4 early in my car search, and it was definitely a very nice car.

It was a toss up between the the C300 4Matic and the IS250 AWD for me.

The Lexus' interior was a lot better with a beautiful white stitched black leather, black wood trim, and I could get nav for the same price as a PO1 package (no nav) Merc. But the exterior of the Merc was so beautiful and the interior was roomier.
You really think so? I tried the IS250 AWD as well, and I was really disappointed with it's lack of power compared to the rest of the cars I drove.
I kinda liked the interior of the Merc better too, the IS250's interior didn't impress me as much.

drevil2k2 01-05-2009 09:12 PM

I was in your shoes about 6 months ago.

Previously owned an A4 B6 with 1.8T quattro. Great in snow, excellent in fit and finish, great side and easy to mod (chipping the ECU, suspension). Maintenance was covered for the first 3 years and I took the extended warranty (absolutely necessary). However, since you are leasing,

Before returning the leased Audi, I was leaning towards the new B8 A4 premium with sports package, paddle shifters, and nav. In fact, the dealership allowed me to see and demo one before they were officially released in August. Very nice ride, especially with the drive select option. The Audi could get pretty pricey once you start adding on options.

After getting the C300 4M, there has been no issues with the car; it handles well in snow, but not as 'fun' as the A4. Personally, I like the dimensions and size of the C300 in lieu of rear passenger comfort.

Mods - added clear side markers, light tint, the MB C350 rear trunk spoiler and polarg parking light bulbs.

So far, no regrets, still too early to decide to buy the car out or not.

Good luck and keep us updated.

SebringSilver 01-05-2009 10:08 PM

I doubt you'll get many negative comments on the C Class by asking this question here. It's hardly going to be unbiased.

TheDarkSide 01-05-2009 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by SebringSilver (Post 3254888)
I doubt you'll get many negative comments on the C Class by asking this question here. It's hardly going to be unbiased.

+1

tategoi 01-06-2009 12:25 AM

Audi A4: crude and rough (but very sporty to Audi owners)
BMW 3-Series: boring, every neighbour and colleague and friend has one.
MB C-Class: very gentlemanly and refined (but some might find it too 'mature' for a recent graduate)

C300Kid 01-06-2009 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by tategoi (Post 3255134)
Audi A4: crude and rough (but very sporty to Audi owners)
BMW 3-Series: boring, every neighbour and colleague and friend has one.
MB C-Class: very gentlemanly and refined (but some might find it too 'mature' for a recent graduate)

I disagree. The B8 A4 isnt crude and rough..at all. Nor is it more fun to drive than the C300 sport. Both are similar in feel.

The 3 Series is the most fun of the bunch, but I agree it looks boring.

C300Kid 01-06-2009 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Freelancer (Post 3250432)
You really think so? I tried the IS250 AWD as well, and I was really disappointed with it's lack of power compared to the rest of the cars I drove.

I kinda liked the interior of the Merc better too, the IS250's interior didn't impress me as much.

+1

mac911 01-06-2009 02:12 AM

There is something about Mercedes-Benz. I visit the dealerships regularly and attend the auto shows and try out many cars. Something about a Merc is different.

I also love the brand. It has an incredibly and interesting history.

Furthermore, the Benz side of the brand made the first car in the world. Who else can say that?

Freelancer 01-08-2009 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by SebringSilver (Post 3254888)

Yeah I kind of expected that. I was already sort of leaning towards the C300 but I posted this topic up to see what everyone else's reasoning was in getting a Merc.

Originally Posted by tategoi (Post 3255134)

Yeah that was the only thing that was putting me off. I went to the dealership with a bias, thinking I wouldn't even buy the car. I consider it sort of cliche to drive a Mercedes, it was something for the older generation.
And I think that's what a lot of people who haven't driven the car think too. Driving the car is really different, on a whole different level, than the Audi or BMW.
If anything it made me realize that not everything is about 0-60 or quarter mile times, or about handling, or about slalom and skidpad, track times etc. But it's about how you feel driving the car. And that's what really got me sold on the Merc, it was just so much fun to drive.

C300PO 01-09-2009 03:48 PM

For me the C300 was the best "combined" sport sedan...
It was classy, luxurious, had outstanding smoothness, extremely solid and rigid build quality, had the best standard features, handled with that German excellence and had the best exterior styling...

It just seemed the best all round performer...great daily driver but could hang with the other Sport Sedans in it's class in handling, build and feel...

Also was the best looking and it was the best bang for the buck in class...

451/443=EW 01-09-2009 04:28 PM

The Q is not which car is better? The Q is which car is better for you!
Look at BMW, fantatic cars for drivers. Interiors could use work.
MB quality and refined, but lack BMW driving excitment.
Audi, sporty in and out, promance is good but not great, AWD is one of the best.
Lexus, very smooth and nice leather, to dull to drive.

This list can break down even more, but who has time. lol

So what are your priorities?

For me, I need somthing that makes a statment, Quality and some proformance. I dont need an exciting car. Gagets are a must. Safety and styling is also important. I dont need an overly smooth ride like the Lexus.

All the cars are great choices, you just need to consider what are your biggest drivers in your need for a car?

myinternetsucks 01-09-2009 04:45 PM

here's an unbiased oppinion.....

http://theshoegame.com/wp-content/up...7/09/nike2.jpg

Derspeed 01-09-2009 11:43 PM

I also considered the usual suspects. I have been an Audi fan for years. They lost me this time, because they are always so late to the game. Also, be very familiar with turbo-charged engines if you opt for the 2.0T. Many times I have had to inform techs of things they knew nothing about. I have never liked the Audi dealership experience. Do a search of the 1.8T sludge issue. It was nightmare. Luckily my family has always used synthetic oil in the Audis and VWs. I was actually told by a tech not to use synthetic, and a year later it was recommended.

As for the 3 series, I would only consider the 335i. It doesn't look that good, but you get 300hp. My best friend has one (coupe) and while it looks less like a Pontiac every time I see it, it has an awkward seating position to me. It reminds me of my old 240 SX, in which the postiton was almost like lying down. The sedan is the better choice. Anyway, I researched it, drove it and gave it much thought. I just didn't get that "I gotta have this car" feeling. After my friend drove my car, he said if it would have been available when he was shopping, he would have chosen it over his BMW.

The C Class is always criticized for having cheap interior. Once you live with the car, that impression fades. After short time, it became evident to me that the interior is built to last.

To me there is just something about the C Class that made it feel like the perfect choice. That's how you have to feel when you make your choice.