MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Argh! OEM tires STINK in the snow! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/277807-argh-oem-tires-stink-snow.html)

08w204 01-14-2009 12:35 PM

Argh! OEM tires STINK in the snow!

My C300 came with 17" M+S tires, but I lose almost ALL traction in even two inches of snow. I live on a slight incline and can't make it to my driveway without shoveling out a pathway for my car to make it to the drive.

To make it worse, the traction control takes away so much control over the rear tires that it's virtually useless if you're in a slick. In addition, I found out that the ABS doesn't work when you're sliding backwards! Wow! I almost hit a lightpole tonight...

Anyone else having these problems? Any ideas other than getting snow tires?

jstaneff 01-14-2009 12:44 PM

Tire chains.

v.a.g. 01-14-2009 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by 08w204 (Post 3273125)
My C300 came with 17" M+S tires, but I lose almost ALL traction in even two inches of snow. I live on a slight incline and can't make it to my driveway without shoveling out a pathway for my car to make it to the drive.

To make it worse, the traction control takes away so much control over the rear tires that it's virtually useless if you're in a slick. In addition, I found out that the ABS doesn't work when you're sliding backwards! Wow! I almost hit a lightpole tonight...

Anyone else having these problems? Any ideas other than getting snow tires?

I had the same problems..and put winter tires on asap. It's like night and day with some proper winter tires.

micropower99 01-14-2009 03:06 PM

Mine is the complete opposite in fact. Haven't experienced any slippage. Do you have the michelins or conti's?

Robbio204 01-14-2009 07:14 PM

between all my cars i have gone through about 5 continentals, going on my 6th bc there's a bubble. good thing i have the warranty for the C class.

Spec_Davis 01-14-2009 07:33 PM

your right our stock conti's are garbage.

ShoremNJ 01-14-2009 07:53 PM

I HAVE THE MICHELINS AND I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED ANY PROBLEMS. IN FACT I WAS THE ONLY VEHICLE TO MAKE IT UP A STEEP ICE AND SNOW COVERED DRIVE IN VERMONT, LAND ROVER AND SAAB suv"S COULDN'T.

jamking 01-14-2009 08:15 PM

Deactivate ESP to make wheels spin if stuck on ice or snow. Works for my C240.

Spec_Davis 01-14-2009 08:44 PM

i have a RWD c300

cvx5832 01-14-2009 09:19 PM

I have the same opinion of the Continentals. Dry traction is ok, but wet traction does not inspire confidence.

My reference is a corner out here where I live, and when it was raining like crazy here a few weeks back I had a chance to drive our other car on the same 225/255 staggered setup but on the Yokohama S-Drives.

The Yokohamas had a more controlled slip, and the Continentals would (abruptly) break free from the corner. The ESP of course compensates and keeps the car pointed where it should. In both "tests" I was on the gas coming out of the corner, and the road was wet.

The other car is a Sport/Premium 328i. This is 3.0l like my C300. The ESP programming could be different in both cars so take it for what it's worth.

Just my non-scientific observation.

Regards,
Paolo

08w204 01-14-2009 10:47 PM

Yeah, I have the Conti's, too. I'm not impressed. I'm hoping the treadwear is quick on them so I have an excuse to get something new.

Kieffer 01-14-2009 10:49 PM

I have the Michelin tires, and my snow traction has been amazing for a RWD car. I recently found myself having to go up a snowpacked "Vail Pass" in the Colorado mountains last week. I was a bit hesitant at first, but quickly realized that I'd have no trouble.

It's your tires. We had Conti's on our ML320 CDI. I refused to drive that thing in snow until we put new tires on it.

FrankW 01-15-2009 03:22 AM

i'm curious for those that lives in area that snows regularly that why didn't you guys consider 4matic? other than if you want a C350 instead of C300 which obviously C350 4matic isn't available in states.

TRauppius 01-15-2009 11:55 AM

Same here, Michelins are much better...

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 3274340)
I have the Michelin tires, and my snow traction has been amazing for a RWD car. I recently found myself having to go up a snowpacked "Vail Pass" in the Colorado mountains last week. I was a bit hesitant at first, but quickly realized that I'd have no trouble.

It's your tires. We had Conti's on our ML320 CDI. I refused to drive that thing in snow until we put new tires on it.

My 2009 C350W is doing suprisingly well on the staggered 17" Michelin Pilot Hx tires that came standard. The are very good in the rain slicked roads, and even manage adequate grip to startup on inclines and negotiate fairly steep hills in slush and light-moderate snow. You need to manage the inertia though, and be very gentle on your control inputs (especially on our eastern Pennsylvania winter nemesis of freezing rain and sleet). The electronic stability thingy works very well and keeps things pointed in the right direction, while the ABS is very fast acting yet subtle.

If I lived in an area with loads of snow and was concerned with low ground clearance I would definitely give the 4MATIC due consideration. As it turns out for me, I am glad the RWD + Michelins work well enough as I wanted a US spec C350 and did not want the cost and lowered performance that come with the 4MATIC.

myinternetsucks 01-15-2009 05:55 PM

i got michelins and mine smell like rubber they dont stink tho....:rolf:

JimPap 01-16-2009 08:38 AM

Oh great.

My Michilins are hard riding and I was looking forward to getting the Conti's when they wear out. Now it looks like I should avoid the Conti's and stay with Michilins.

drpasteur 01-16-2009 09:55 AM

the OEM stock tires did fine for me when there were snow during X-mas in Seattle

maverickvii 01-16-2009 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by FrankW (Post 3274879)
i'm curious for those that lives in area that snows regularly that why didn't you guys consider 4matic? other than if you want a C350 instead of C300 which obviously C350 4matic isn't available in states.

For me it was all about the stick shift, it was a must. RWD isn't great in the snow no matter what tire but if you take it slow it's managable, especially w a manual tranny.

tategoi 01-17-2009 10:31 AM

Michelins as in Pilot Sports 2? There is no snow here, but I can't wait for my CSC3 to wear out and change them to PS2.

CoaterMan 01-17-2009 01:30 PM

Had same problem with stock conti's and staggered setup in snow over 2" on the 6% slope coming into our neighborhood. Went to Michelins X-Ice and new Momo wheels from Discount and life is great, though the offset was not perfect for the 205/55R16 setup. The handling is great through this snowy cold snap that has left black ice all over the cities.

As an aside, I got a laugh listening to an Audi club instructor being interviewed about counter steering in a spin. The host was clueless and the Audi guy reacted with a yougottobekiddingdon'ttrythiswithoutpractice kind of tone. This made me think of the soccer mom in a Chevy SUV that I saw put her vehicle into a spin in the slow lane on a straight stretch of freeway during rush hour two days ago. Why do so many drivers wait until dissaster to test the road handling of their vehicles and improve their skills?

newtonlaw 01-17-2009 10:14 PM

my stock Conti's dont stink, they are just not as good as snow tires. In fact i think they are great as an all season. They are very comfortable and worked well in light snow!

Caperone 01-18-2009 05:02 PM

I have Nokian Hakka 5 on my '08 C230 and traction is still crappy (and I stay polite). It's the first time even that I drive a car where the traction control kicks in when I'm driving on a flat straight line just because I hit a bit of snow (and not even accelerating or doing anything stupid). :hammer:

rs1985 01-19-2009 06:01 AM

i heard tire chain will scratch the alloy wheel so bad

spotless 01-19-2009 12:36 PM

Coming from Subaru where snow is the specialty, I've learned it's all about tires. Rwd with no season tires will suck in snow. Awd with no season tires will suck also when braking or making ememergency manuver. If u live in a snowy area do us all a favor and put on a set of winters or just take ur winter car out.

atiqa 01-20-2009 09:54 PM

I really hate the stock Continentals. I have quite a few miles on them but they're definitely not worn out. And yet, the other day I was merging on to the highway at about 30 mph, it was snowing and there was maybe an inch on the ground. Next thing you know my car is spinning out of control, and I end up halfway on the shoulder diagonally facing oncoming traffic. On the freaking highway. I was extremely lucky there were no cars around me and the car actually stopped abruptly a few inches away from a small hill.
That being said, I am going to get new tires this week. I had Michelin PS2's on my W203 so I'm thinking I'll go back to those. Can anyone recommend anything else from experience?