MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Iphone contacts with Audio 50 (command) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/278149-iphone-contacts-audio-50-command.html)

f4i 954 01-16-2009 07:47 PM

Iphone contacts with Audio 50 (command)

Not sure if this is old news.
If you have a lot of contacts & dont want to input them manual i found a solution.
Usually itunes syncs contacts with outlook, copy them from outlook to a sd card & upload them with a PCMCIA card, works great.

tategoi 01-16-2009 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by f4i 954 (Post 3278958)
Not sure if this is old news.
If you have a lot of contacts & dont want to input them manual i found a solution.
Usually itunes syncs contacts with outlook, copy them from outlook to a sd card & upload them with a PCMCIA card, works great.

How do you 'copy' them from Outlook?

rb23lb 01-17-2009 01:42 AM

or u could just send your entire address book via blu tooth...

even easier then memory card

f4i 954 01-17-2009 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by tategoi (Post 3279284)
How do you 'copy' them from Outlook?

Open outlook.
Open contacts.
High lite them all.
Right click & copy.
Paste on to the sd card.

f4i 954 01-17-2009 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 3279426)
or u could just send your entire address book via blu tooth...

even easier then memory card

If you can do it with the Iphone without the cradle, I would like to know how.

Diesel Benz 01-17-2009 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by f4i 954 (Post 3279712)
If you can do it with the Iphone without the cradle, I would like to know how.

Don't know the answer but why would sending contacts be different with the cradle when the iPhone would anyway connect via BT?

tategoi 01-17-2009 10:34 AM

iPhone's bluetooth can only be used for earpiece :crazy:

Thanks f4, I will try that. Currently I blue-tooth my contacts over via my Nokia's BT. I guess it will be much easier to just upload them. But how to 'upload'? :p: Is there an upload menu in Tel?

Kieffer 01-17-2009 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 3279770)
Don't know the answer but why would sending contacts be different with the cradle when the iPhone would anyway connect via BT?

The iphone won't load contacts to the W204's system, though it will load them on our 2007 ML's system (and our Jeep's navigation / bluetooth system). So I used the PCMCIA solution discussed above and it worked perfectly. I have an 8GB card I use for some music, so I just copied my contacts onto the card. It worked beautifully. Took less than one second to upload all the phone numbers, addresses, etc.

Though it's a bit of a pain having to do this - even once - there is a benefit. If you have a lot of contacts, like I do, it takes a couple minutes for all of that info to upload to our ML's system. So, if I get in the ML and want to make a call using that data, I have to either get the phone out of my pocket or briefcase to access the phone number. With the solution discussed above in this thread, you have immediate access to all the numbers. It's not a big deal until that one time when you really need to access a phone number when you get in the car - and your phone isn't readily accessible.

f4i 954 01-17-2009 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 3279770)

Cant tell you, but i`ve read in this forum, that using the cradle (usa only) they were able to do it.

f4i 954 01-17-2009 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by tategoi (Post 3279811)
iPhone's bluetooth can only be used for earpiece :crazy:

Thanks f4, I will try that. Currently I blue-tooth my contacts over via my Nokia's BT. I guess it will be much easier to just upload them. But how to 'upload'? :p: Is there an upload menu in Tel?

When the sd card is in the command, the midle option in the phone menu will
be an extra option (import data).

Norm01 03-30-2009 05:55 PM

Do the contacts need to be in a special folder. I have a CF card with a PCMCIA adapter and put the contacts in the root directory and could not get the "import data" option.

Norm01 04-01-2009 07:17 PM

As an update for future readers I got this to work and it works great and very fast. If you follow the above instructions in Outlook 2003 or 2007 it won't actually work because a copy/paste will save the contacts in .msg form which is not recognized by the command centre. You must convert the contacts from Outlook to .vcf, there are many programs you can buy to do this however it is built into Outlook (sort of). You need to highlight the contacts and under "action" use send as "business card" and e-mail them to yourself. Once you have the contacts in .vcf save them to the root of a memory card (SD or CF), they will not be recognized if they are in a sub folder. The remainder is as per above. Note you can also use "save as" to save them as a .vcf however you can only save one at a time and this may be long, email will do all in one shot.