MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Service B - Is the dealer trying to get an extra service? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/300253-service-b-dealer-trying-get-extra-service.html)

TheDarkSide 05-22-2009 10:15 AM

Service B - Is the dealer trying to get an extra service?

I did my Service A at 13k miles and I'm now at 19k miles. My display is telling me its time for Service B. Its actually been counting down since 900miles before 19k. The window sticker from Fletcher Jones also says 19k. I thought Service B was around 23k??? Is the dealer trying to get an extra service out of me during these "tough economic times"???? :eek::crazy:

JimPap 05-22-2009 10:42 AM

To throw into the mix, when I was getting ready for service "B", I checked around on this forum and found that the price varies quite a bit. Although MB says what constitutes service "B", I clearly got the impression that there is no consistancy in what they actually do. At a minimum, they all do an oil change. But after that, it varies.

CrAZyVeGAsBoY 05-22-2009 11:01 AM

lol we have had this discussion before, u know it just a way for fletcher to make a extra buck quicker.

justthinking 05-22-2009 05:18 PM

Avoid fletcher jones at all cost if you can...I took my car in for a free car wash last weekend (got some coupons in the mail from them for previous car purchases)
You would think no harm could have happen from a free car wash right??
Wrong..this time..they replaced my license plate frame w/ their own without asking for my premission...
There is a reason for me to decide buying my c300 from a different dealer and looks like the reason still exist...FJ sucks...

AMGTTV8 05-22-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by justthinking (Post 3538899)
Avoid fletcher jones at all cost if you can...I took my car in for a free car wash last weekend (got some coupons in the mail from them for previous car purchases)
Wrong..this time..they replaced my license plate frame w/ their own without asking for my premission...
There is a reason for me to decide buying my c300 from a different dealer and looks like the reason still exist...FJ sucks...

thats ****ty i'd be pissed if someone was trying to take my plate off for the fear of them scratching up my trunk lid

i guess there is no such thing as a free lunch - not even a carwash

they should have put a disclaimer on the coupon saying that the car wash comes at the expense of free advertising space in the form of their license plates!

all i want to know is, what happened to the good old bikini car washes??

moondust 05-22-2009 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheDarkSide (Post 3538177)
I did my Service A at 13k miles and I'm now at 19k miles. My display is telling me its time for Service B.

As I understand it, on recent M-B models, the oil change interval as calculated by your ASSYST is determined by a number of factors.

Firstly, the fundamental period can be either 20,000 Km (13,000 miles) or 30,000 Km (18,000 miles) according to the settings in the Service menu at the cluster. Here you can choose either Standard oil (229.1) or Oil Quality 229.5.

Secondly, (according to the WIS) "the ASSYST system is a demand-based engine oil service system. In addition to the time and distance criterion, various factors are consequently taken into account for calculating the demand-based service intervals.

There are, on the one hand, quality factors which are coded via STAR DIAGNOSIS, and on the other hand, evaluation factors which take into account driving conditions, and thus actual wear and tear.

If the evaluation is favorable, (small number of cold starts, driving mainly in the mid-rpm range) the service interval is longer than for an unfavorable evaluation".

So could your short service interval could be something to do with your driving style? :confused:

GHAZAN 05-22-2009 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by justthinking (Post 3538899)

No offense, first mistake was taking your car to get washed by a dealership. :smash:

peabers 05-23-2009 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by moondust (Post 3539134)
There are, on the one hand, quality factors which are coded via STAR DIAGNOSIS, and on the other hand, evaluation factors which take into account driving conditions, and thus actual wear and tear.

If the evaluation is favorable, (small number of cold starts, driving mainly in the mid-rpm range) the service interval is longer than for an unfavorable evaluation".

Great information, thanks!

So far ASSYST has been giving me an interval of 356 days. I did not notice the interval shortening. So I presume my car is happy with my driving behaviour. :y.

I do find the oil quality tweak interesting. Guess it leaves an opportunity for dishonest dealers to make their customer's intervals shorter.

TheDarkSide 05-23-2009 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by moondust (Post 3539134)
As I understand it, on recent M-B models, the oil change interval as calculated by your ASSYST is determined by a number of factors.

Firstly, the fundamental period can be either 20,000 Km (13,000 miles) or 30,000 Km (18,000 miles) according to the settings in the Service menu at the cluster. Here you can choose either Standard oil (229.1) or Oil Quality 229.5.

Secondly, (according to the WIS) "the ASSYST system is a demand-based engine oil service system. In addition to the time and distance criterion, various factors are consequently taken into account for calculating the demand-based service intervals.

So could your short service interval could be something to do with your driving style? :confused:

Not to say that any of this is wrong......but when the service sticker from Fletcher Jones says next service 19,340 (exactly 6k to the mile from Service A) and your Service B warning comes up at 19,340, its obviously a manual entry into the system that FJ input.

Nevada Jack 05-23-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheDarkSide (Post 3539570)
Not to say that any of this is wrong......but when the service sticker from Fletcher Jones says next service 19,340 (exactly 6k to the mile from Service A) and your Service B warning comes up at 19,340, its obviously a manual entry into the system that FJ input.

FJ passes out this info about living on the desert so you should change your oil at 6000 mile intervals. It appears they did reset the Service B to reflect the 6000 mile time frame. Once a year or every 13000 miles per the manual.

I have purchased 4 MB's in the last 4 years and not one was at FJ... rip offs are common in sales and I am sure the service department can match them. Let the buyer beware!

TheDarkSide 05-23-2009 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack (Post 3539574)
FJ passes out this info about living on the desert so you should change your oil at 6000 mile intervals. It appears they did reset the Service B to reflect the 6000 mile time frame. Once a year or every 13000 miles per the manual.

I have purchased 4 MB's in the last 4 years and not one was at FJ... rip offs are common in sales and I am sure the service department can match them. Let the buyer beware!

Hey Jack,

Did you buy your car from MB of Westminster, Colorado?

Both CrazyVegasBoy and I bought ours from MB of Westminster because FJ wouldn't give us a good deal.

Nevada Jack 05-23-2009 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by TheDarkSide (Post 3539580)
Hey Jack,

Did you buy your car from MB of Westminster, Colorado?

Both CrazyVegasBoy and I bought ours from MB of Westminster because FJ wouldn't give us a good deal.

Yes... I have dealt with Greg Weiler for my past 4 cars. Greg is now the Pre-Owned Manager. Always on top of things and always a good fair deal. I had the C350 delivered this time instead of driving up to make the exchange.

FJ screwed me on a 2006 S430 by hiding some trunk money and ever since then I do not trust them for anything.

JimPap 05-23-2009 09:38 AM

trunk money?

Car involved in a bank robbery and they took the loot out before giving you the car?