Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
leather on steering wheel for 08/09 model.. >

leather on steering wheel for 08/09 model..

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

leather on steering wheel for 08/09 model..

 
Old 05-30-2009, 07:33 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 451
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
leather on steering wheel for 08/09 model..

Has anyone compare the steering wheel for c300 and c350??
Supposely c350 comes w/ napa leather steering wheel while c300 comes w/ inferior quality leather steering wheel..

I know MBUSA is going to fix this and all 2010 model will come w/ napa leather steering wheel as standard..

However, I began to notice leather grip on my c300 has began to fade a bit and I am wondering, what options will we have if the leather is weared out..

How much would it cost to replace the whole steering wheel? or is it possible to replace the leather part only??
justthinking is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gilroy
Posts: 341
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
Has anyone compare the steering wheel for c300 and c350??
Supposely c350 comes w/ napa leather steering wheel while c300 comes w/ inferior quality leather steering wheel..

I know MBUSA is going to fix this and all 2010 model will come w/ napa leather steering wheel as standard..

However, I began to notice leather grip on my c300 has began to fade a bit and I am wondering, what options will we have if the leather is weared out..

How much would it cost to replace the whole steering wheel? or is it possible to replace the leather part only??
The least expensive way to go would be to use an automotive upholstery shop.
GLK4MATIC is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 06:08 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 245
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C350, 2005 C230k Coupe
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
Has anyone compared the steering wheel for c300 and c350?
Supposedly the c350 comes w/ napa leather steering wheel while the c300 comes w/ inferior quality leather steering wheel.
Yes. I have had a C350 for 10 months, but have spent close to 3 weeks in rented C300s (2008 and 2009; most of that time to replace a front bumper gashed by an encounter with a car whose driver made an untimely left turn).

I can confirm that the material covering the C300's wheels is not as pleasant.
ayilar is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 08:30 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
peabers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 811
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
I suspect that the quality of the steering covering has to do with whether the vehicle has MB Tex or Leather interior. Can anyone confirm?
peabers is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 245
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C350, 2005 C230k Coupe
Originally Posted by peabers View Post
I suspect that the quality of the steering covering has to do with whether the vehicle has MB Tex or Leather interior. Can anyone confirm?
Not on the C350. I chose mine with MB-Tex, and the wheel is covered with soft leather.

Last edited by ayilar; 05-31-2009 at 09:27 PM.
ayilar is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
MB300AMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 351
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by ayilar View Post
Yes. I have had a C350 for 10 months, but have spent close to 3 weeks in rented C300s (2008 and 2009; most of that time to replace a front bumper gashed by an encounter with a car whose driver made an untimely left turn).

I can confirm that the material covering the C300's wheels is not as pleasant.

So i'm not sure if this is related, but I was wondering that whether the steering wheel is smaller at all?


I know that for the 2010 model year all steering wheels will be covered with Nappa Leather but does that mean that we will get a new steering wheel altogether then? As in, one that is smaller?

I saw the new E-Class and E-Class coupe had sport steering wheels and they have been cropping up in other cars so do we get that thicker version for 2010 or just a different leather-wrapped version of the current steering wheel?
MB300AMG is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nevada Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
The Leather wheel is standard on the C350, but whether it is Nappa or just plain old cow is hard to determine. Seems to me the window listing would specify it as Nappa if it was, rather than just Leather Covered Steering Wheel.
Nevada Jack is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
peabers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 811
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack View Post
The Leather wheel is standard on the C350, but whether it is Nappa or just plain old cow is hard to determine. Seems to me the window listing would specify it as Nappa if it was, rather than just Leather Covered Steering Wheel.
Mine definitely feels more like rhino than cow hide!

Both of the W202's we had came with softer coverings on the steering wheel. Regardless of MB Tex or Leather.
peabers is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 03:00 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 451
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
Anyone has expericne w/ replacing leather on their steering wheel??
I wonder how much it would cost if we take the car to upholstery shop and have them install better quality leather for us..
justthinking is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
joshg1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,888
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
2017 E300
hmm interesting. I am also wondering where you got the info that the C350 comes with Nappa vs C300 with regular leather
joshg1001 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: leather on steering wheel for 08/09 model..


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: