MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Anything to watch out when replacing windshied? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/302349-anything-watch-out-when-replacing-windshied.html)

Murray Woo 06-06-2009 02:28 PM

Anything to watch out when replacing windshied?

Now that I have a nice crack in my windshield, I need to replace it. I am thinking of just having one of the local repair shops do it since I know a few of them through business. They will probably just charge me for the parts. But since our windshields have rain sensor on them, I was wondering if there was something I should be aware of before letting them do it? Thanks.

axhoaxho 06-06-2009 06:18 PM

I have had a few windshields replaced in my cars before, and the most important thing I've learned was to make sure that -- the new windshield is glued/mounted flush-ly and evenly, so there will not be any unusual wind noise when driving in high speed (especially with strong wind.)

Unlike the robots in the factory, the windshield replacement installer installs the new windshield by barehands. Sometimes they put a little more glue on here then there around the frame, and the new windshield seats a little too high or low at some corner.

It only takes a mm or two, or a minor tilt or dip, to create any unusual wind noise in high speed driving. Especially around the windshield wipers area.

What I have learned from my experience was that... I usually wait by my car during the windshield replacement (or at least pickup my car immediately after it is done.), and go out for a test drive on freeway. Sometimes I invite a passenger with me, so he/she can listen carefully to discover if there is any unusual wind noise around the windshield. If yes, I will then immediately go back to the installer and hope they can resolve it.

Just my experence.

Regards,

2nice4me 06-06-2009 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Call your MB dealer and see who they use. I learned the hard way and just got it done at a insurance approved glass shop.

I made sure that i asked for the OEM glass with sensor and MB sticker. Anyway the glass was installed very messy and the outside seal was installed half over the glass and half under the glass.

When inside, looking towards the passenger side they had used WAY TOO MUCH sealant/glue and it was very visible. Sitting in the passenger side looking towards the drivers side was a bit better but still visible.

So next day brought it back and the removed the excess sealant, this was 2 months ago, no noise or leaks noticed though.

jstaneff 06-06-2009 07:10 PM

Haven't we read on the forum somewhere that when an MB windscreen is replaced, you have to wait 24 hours before moving/driving the car?

Glyn M Ruck 06-06-2009 07:14 PM

Yes - If the correct sealant is used then it requires to cure before the body is placed under any flex. Remember that the windscreen is a stress member of the body in modern designs.

tecdan01 06-06-2009 07:15 PM

make sure to have them use the OEM urethane KIT through MBZ parts dept.
Also To request having a new top seal.

Part Numbers
urethane:
221 620 21 01

seal :
204 671 06 20

Typically only the dealer ship or MBUSA approved body shop will have the special took to dispence the material....

But yes... They are to make sure not the damage the windshield flanges and to remove all trim around the glass, along with wiiper arm and cowl panel

Carsy 06-06-2009 07:29 PM

Good info. I am soaking it up like a sponge !Thank you.

Glyn M Ruck 06-06-2009 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by tecdan01 (Post 3562030)
make sure to have them use the OEM urethane KIT through MBZ parts dept.
Also To request having a new top seal.

Part Numbers
urethane:
221 620 21 01

seal :
204 671 06 20

Typically only the dealer ship or MBUSA approved body shop will have the special took to dispence the material....

But yes... They are to make sure not the damage the windshield flanges and to remove all trim around the glass, along with wiiper arm and cowl panel

+1

Murray Woo 06-06-2009 09:27 PM

How much would it take for the dealer to do this?

RLE 06-07-2009 01:35 AM

Glass

Originally Posted by Murray Woo (Post 3562167)
How much would it take for the dealer to do this?

Dealers do not do their own glass work. They will use a shop that knows exactly what is required and will do it right. And the car will be left overnight until the adhesive sets.

This no place to try to save a nickel. You will regret it. And your insurance covers this anyway, minus your deductible.