MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   front door h/k speaker retrofit (how to) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/304662-front-door-h-k-speaker-retrofit-how.html)

codeblue5007 02-10-2015 10:01 PM

Rookie, I found the pins could not be reused. I pulled them out, rotated them and they wouldn't even go back in. And I had a helluva time getting the panels off because the vlips wouldn't come out easily. Someone rose commented that the pins weren't even necessary, since the panels reinstalled securely with all the damaged clips replaced.

The infinity tweeter will not fit in the plastic ring that held the original tweeter. The solution is to dremmel off the three plastic prongs that hold the ring, jam the new tweeter in the foam behind the sail and snap the sail in place.

As I mentioned I'm not entirely happy with the infinity tweeters, especially with fm rock music. Could be the lousy source or the orientation of the tweeters, or the fact that they are not fixed in place. Going to try Alpine tweeters, which by the way will fit into the original tweeter holder ring.

It's an interesting project and you'll find solutions as you go on. The rear,speakers are much easier than the fronts because there are no locking pins and window surround to take off. I used kappas in the back too and they fit just barely without touching the window.

codeblue5007 02-10-2015 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by rookiezxc (Post 6326703)
Thanks sincity and codeblue5007, my understanding here is that those are locking pins that are attached one each door and not reusable, therefore I should get a new one every time I open the door panel, correct?

Anyway, I found all these instructions from Akadan, Bill, VicViper and many other contributing MBworld, but I'm still not entirely sure how will I be replacing the tweeter since the housing size will not fit (Kappa Tweeters will be way bigger than the OEM, right?)

Still a bit nervous here since this is my very first speaker retrofit job. I took out a stereo from VW MK5 previously to attach an aux cable, but never did anything to the wiring of a car.

This job will requires me to:
- Open up 4 door panels.
- Use a tremel to sand all the previous fittings.
- Drill the holes using a 1/8" drill bit or smaller.
- resolder all the wiring.

Is there anything else that I should be aware of before tackling this retrofit, especially on how to do the wiring specifically?

Reading down your list, for 2 use the dremmel to cut the plastic prongs and flying buttresses that hold the old speaker in place. Use a flat head screwdriver to clean out all the debris in the spacer. For 3 you may be able to use holes already there in the metal rings. And for 4, no need to solder, although you can.. I've found butt joints work fine - the kind that need crimping. 3M butt joints work well with speaker wire too and are easy to work with. These are the kind with gel in them that lock two wires together using a pair of pliers. Used in Telephone wiring.

Sincity 02-11-2015 07:31 AM

I understand your weariness. I didn't bother to replace that "square" clip. You will need to dremmel out the three plastic "rivets" to remove the factory tweeter and very easy to do. Just follow the guides and you'll be fine. I know Akadan used the stripe wires as +, but I found the electrical diagram from one of the pages that show the solid wire as "+". Most of my time was spent on finding an alternative place to mount the crossover for the fronts and ended up using the little cubby hole that ICON used.

rookiezxc 02-13-2015 11:27 AM

@codeblue5007 & Sincity, Thank you so much for all the supports. Parts and speakers are on its way now :)

Sincity 02-14-2015 08:05 AM

You're welcome. That is what the forum is for. Let us know how it turns out.

rookiezxc 02-14-2015 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sincity (Post 6330840)
You're welcome. That is what the forum is for. Let us know how it turns out.

It should be done by the end of this month. I'm just waiting for all the parts and the clips to arrive :D

Sunny18 07-14-2015 03:29 AM

Hey i want to retrfotit the hk tweeters in my car (2014 e class facelift) but i have some questions.
1.Is it easy to retrofit them
2.Will there be a difference in sound quality
3.how is it done ?

codeblue5007 07-14-2015 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sunny18 (Post 6495962)
Hey i want to retrfotit the hk tweeters in my car (2014 e class facelift) but i have some questions.
1.Is it easy to retrofit them
2.Will there be a difference in sound quality
3.how is it done ?

You want to replace the tweeters only? You have the stock woofers? If that's the case, you would just connect the existing tweeter wires to the HK tweeter. It's anybody's guess whether this is worth the effort and expense. There is no crossover.

I've been driving a humble Hyundai Elantra loaner and it's sound system sounds better than the non-HK MB's. In other words, the non-HK MB sound system is mediocre even with Infinity speakers and a powered sub.

Sunny18 09-16-2015 02:18 PM

Hey i drive a 2014 e class facelift w212 with standard speakers. I want to upgrade to harman kardon speakers. I do not want the amp I just want to upgrade my door speakers and tweeters. Just wanted to know is it possible to just swap the speakers or not, secondly will it be difficult to install and will i be able to hear a noticeable diff.

evilizlan 07-28-2021 11:45 PM

Focal 165AC

Do you guys know if Focal 165AC can be installed?
I check on crutchfield and it says i can for lower front door.

Just want to double check if any have done this.

Cheers