MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Has anyone seen a W204 with leather interior? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/304911-has-anyone-seen-w204-leather-interior.html)

tanktube67 06-24-2009 10:00 PM

They are a few German car upholstery shops around and they do good job, check your yellow pages

justthinking 06-24-2009 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 3591664)
In a hot country I would rather have ventilated leather thanks.

MB offer ventilated leather in SA???

joshg1001 06-24-2009 11:27 PM

i think he just means perforated.

i dont think i want to go to an upholsterer seeing as how i want to keep it as close to MB specs as possible. definitely want that leather door panel look though

RLE 06-25-2009 12:03 AM

HUH?

Originally Posted by justthinking (Post 3590545)
I love MB-Tex for the upholstery..but loath the plastic door handle & panel..
Really wish MB had stepped up and offer leather handle/panel across all model..
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post2744486
Here are some nice pictures of the beige leather trim..

That is not beige.

justthinking 06-25-2009 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by joshg1001 (Post 3592133)

i dont think i want to go to an upholsterer seeing as how i want to keep it as close to MB specs as possible. definitely want that leather door panel look though

But the leather seats I have seem here in the states and asia all are not perforated...

RLE 06-27-2009 12:34 AM

Holes

Originally Posted by justthinking (Post 3592232)
But the leather seats I have seem here in the states and asia all are not perforated...

Right. None of the leather in my car is perforated anywhere.

CEB 06-27-2009 09:25 AM

I think the poster was referring to the vinyl that you see in taxis ...

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 3590964)
Go check the options. There is only 1 MBTex - MBTex is vinyl - It's made in 1 plant & goes in most taxi's - Some taxis are done in cloth if ordered that way.

...in third world countries - recovered from the original cloth or leather with an aftermarket industrial naugahyde...

You are right that most MBs sold in Europe have leather (or cloth) and the only MB-tex you'll find will be in taxis and other "heavy use" vehicles...

RLE 06-27-2009 03:16 PM

Door panels

Originally Posted by joshg1001 (Post 3592133)

You could replace the door panels which would probably cost more than the leather option would have been in the first place.

eminnet 06-27-2009 03:55 PM

I don't think perforated/ventilated leather seats are available for the new C (W204) or at least not in Europe.
I have them (perforated, not ventilated) in my W203 but still not sure if is leather or MB Tex.

RabbitDad 06-27-2009 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by CEB (Post 3595636)
...in third world countries - recovered from the original cloth or leather with an aftermarket industrial naugahyde...

You are right that most MBs sold in Europe have leather (or cloth) and the only MB-tex you'll find will be in taxis and other "heavy use" vehicles...

I disagree. Perhaps in Germany and possibly the UK people still 'load' their cars, but e.g. in Belgium people will jump on a cheaper alternative like MBTex. I know for a fact that 90% of the BMW 3-series in my company (where that car is a very popular choice) come with Sensatec (= vinyl) as leather is not standard and costs 1,700 EUR while Sensatec is only 135 EUR. BMW specifically do not offer Sensatec on their 1-series because they know that none of the younger buyers of that car would ever shell out for real leather if they could choose Sensatec. However the 3-series is oriented to the lease market so there they need it to be competitive.

Personally I got leather in my S204, however since it's black it doesn't lift the look of the car *that* much. I would have prefered to save the money and get Artico instead, but unfortunately on the Avantgarde (which I really wanted, especially for the nice alloys and alu interior finish) you can only choose between half-cloth/half-Artico (which is *really* nasty IMO) or full leather. So in the end I shelled out for it and while I do enjoy the much nicer door finish a lot, I wouldn't say it's worth a 1500 EUR premium. Of course if you can take another colour than black, then leather becomes a lot more interesting (although Artico is offered in grey as well). But with one baby boy and hopefully another small one in the not too distant future, as well as wanting a car that doesn't stick it's neck out too far (for clients, colleagues, etc.), as well as it being the only colour that really goes well with Palladium grey (which I love), for me it had to be black...

justthinking 06-27-2009 07:07 PM

I guess vic viper should know what's the exact part number for leather handle & door panel..
Would be interested to see exactly how much it will cost..

paladiumonblack 06-28-2009 07:56 AM

I have the full leather (black) in my C300 sport and love it.

Can some one post a picture of the door panels with MB-tek to compare...I didn't realize the door panels were much nicer with the real leather option.

joshg1001 06-28-2009 09:56 PM

Here are some crappy iphone (1st gen) pictures. the only difference is that the door uses the material similarly found on the dash, except it is not soft. the door handle is just a huge piece of rubber. you can see the simulated leather grain on the door panels on the 2nd picture.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2/IMG_0081.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2/IMG_0082.jpg

on an unrelated matter, does anyone know why those white areas show up on the interior, no matter what you do to the car to prevent this?

whkento 06-29-2009 02:15 AM

I love my leather seats. ;) MBTex wasn't even offered by my dealer (in Japan).

Glyn M Ruck 06-29-2009 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by joshg1001 (Post 3597464)
Here are some crappy iphone (1st gen) pictures. the only difference is that the door uses the material similarly found on the dash, except it is not soft. the door handle is just a huge piece of rubber. you can see the simulated leather grain on the door panels on the 2nd picture.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2/IMG_0081.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2/IMG_0082.jpg

on an unrelated matter, does anyone know why those white areas show up on the interior, no matter what you do to the car to prevent this?

Wow - never seen that - the back doors look particularly plain. Does the white stuff just appear on the surface of the "rubber"? Probably plasticiser leaching out. If so will slow as it ages.

itcrashed 06-29-2009 10:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just for a side by side comparison...

uhh... leather wins in appearance, hands down :)

Glyn M Ruck 06-29-2009 11:38 AM

No contest & the cheap panel has got wood to try & spice it up.

joshg1001 06-29-2009 11:59 AM

the question here is not which looks better, its if the better one is worth 3 thousand dollars. lol.

i really wanted leather, but it would have pushed my OTD price beyond 50K which is not something i wanted to spend on a C class

dalazernet 06-29-2009 03:46 PM

Yeah, I chose toys, colors and options over leather... Plus if I'm spending that much money, might as well have jumped into an E-class... :P

mr inkredibul 03-11-2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by C300Kid (Post 3591018)
i know its vinyl..but its not the same quality of vinyl typical in taxis..at least not from my experience.

Same here and MOST leather has vinyl mixed in for wear and durability reasons. Why do you think all the owners with premium leather see cracking after 2 months? I chose MBTex because it felt good to me and told the dealer whichever will last longer is what I want. So they put MBTex on my order sheet. They would have profited more if they put leather so I'm sure they weren't lying.

whiteongrey 03-11-2010 11:35 AM

"Vinyl" was the first generation of synthetics from the 1950s-60s. It does not exist anymore except in fabric shops at $2.00 yrd.

MB Tex is a synthetic but light years ahead of vinyl. The feel, performance and durability of current synthetics is superior to leather in every way.

The finest leathers even coming remotely close to MB Tex would add at least $10K to the price of the car.

I personally would not even consider leather unless of similar quality and finishing as seen in Bentley etc - other wise is looks cheap, it is hard, slippery, and finishing average.

Perforated seats are great but not avail in leather on MB as well - so it was a complete non-stater for me. I love MB Tex.

Peabody 03-11-2010 01:28 PM

I have to agree with Glyn in this one. I've rode in a hundred Mercedes taxis here in Germany, and they are all MB-Tex. A Mercedes taxi may sound like a dream in Kansas, but in Germany they are the mean.

RLE 03-11-2010 04:50 PM

False info

Originally Posted by mr inkredibul (Post 3978969)
Same here and MOST leather has vinyl mixed in for wear and durability reasons. Why do you think all the owners with premium leather see cracking after 2 months? I chose MBTex because it felt good to me and told the dealer whichever will last longer is what I want. So they put MBTex on my order sheet. They would have profited more if they put leather so I'm sure they weren't lying.

So, the cattle have been fed some sort of chemicals so as to make their hides part vinyl, then? Quite believable, yessiree!

Your claim that all "premium" leather cracks within two months is hardly worth responding to but I will anyway.

My 1995 C280 (1995-2001), 2001 C320 (2001-2007) and my 2.5 year old C300 ALL had/have leather interiors and none had/have a single sign of cracking or deterioration of any kind.

Now, if I lived in a garden spot like Phoenix, I would have the sense not to park in the August sun all day which would eventually damage leather.

mganchev 01-13-2015 03:27 PM

W204 C300 Driver's Seat for Sale

Hey guys if anyone is having el. or any other issues and you're looking for a replacement seat ,message me at: mpganchev@gmail.com

My driver's seat seam busted on the bottom, I got a whole new seat and Im looking to sell this one. All el. parts are fully functional:
-Black Leather
-El.
-Heat
-SRS
-No memory

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...676aee3a52.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...be899af3ac.jpg

LandSeaAir 05-23-2017 10:16 PM

My driver seat is ripped like that ^^

What do you guys think about sourcing leather from a wrecked car and installing it yourself?

These cars are like toys now, wrecked ones everywhere and parts are cheap.