MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   anyone with a sport: who has mudflaps on? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/306570-anyone-sport-who-has-mudflaps.html)

98woody 07-06-2009 06:23 AM

anyone with a sport: who has mudflaps on?

I have a 2009 C300 4matic sport and I am in desperate need of mudflaps. They do not make the molded flaps for the sport class. Anyone have any ideas? The road tar is comming up on the doors from the fronts, and all the sport fairing is getting real tarred and knicked up at only 1200 miles. I havent even gone through my first winter yet. HELP, need some input. Thanks.

Glyn M Ruck 07-06-2009 09:16 AM

To my knowledge they do make flaps for the Sport. Try & order from Europe. They were not available but Benz promised for the Avantgarde 2009 model. Sorry - we have a 204 Elegance with flaps which won't fit the Avantgarde but I'm sure I've seen some new Avantgardes with them.

Diesel Benz 07-06-2009 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 3608358)
To my knowledge they do make flaps for the Sport. Try & order from Europe. They were not available but Benz promised for the Avantgarde 2009 model. Sorry - we have a 204 Elegance with flaps which won't fit the Avantgarde but I'm sure I've seen some new Avantgardes with them.

You must be referring to the AMG styling package, option code 772. No MB mud flaps available with that option. But the Avantgarde and Elegance models have the same side skirts and the mud flaps fit for both. Or does the sports option you refer to have those 772 side skirts?

Glyn M Ruck 07-06-2009 01:42 PM

Yeah - I forget that configurations vary by market. I mean for the AMG style side skirt & rear bumper as fitted to what the America's call a Sport. SA were promised flaps that went over the bulges & I thought I saw one the other day. I will check with dealer next time I'm there. I might be mistaken but I could swear I saw a car with OEM looking flaps the other day that were a proper fit.

jstaneff 07-06-2009 02:15 PM

Um, just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't mud flaps on the sport bodywork defeat the purpose of the side skirts? Would that be a reason that no one has built mud flaps for that version yet?

Aerodynamics have to be affected by that flat panel. Airflow is more important than having the owner have to scrub the car clean, eh?

NJBNZ 07-06-2009 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jstaneff (Post 3608772)
Aerodynamics have to be affected by that flat panel. Airflow is more important than having the owner have to scrub the car clean, eh?

Do you really think mudflaps are going to make THAT big of a difference in "aerodynamics?" It's a luxury sport sedan...not a sports car. You won't feel any difference in "aerodynamics" or power from adding mudflaps.

I highly doubt he competitvely races his car...so yes not having to worry about tar/dirt/debirs kicking up the side of the car is more important than the minimal (if any) difference in aerodynamics

Diesel Benz 07-06-2009 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by NJBNZ (Post 3608854)
Do you really think mudflaps are going to make THAT big of a difference in "aerodynamics?" It's a luxury sport sedan...not a sports car. You won't feel any difference in "aerodynamics" or power from adding mudflaps.

I highly doubt he competitvely races his car...so yes not having to worry about tar/dirt/debirs kicking up the side of the car is more important than the minimal (if any) difference in aerodynamics

Even if mudflaps did affect aerodynamics (they would even if not enough that it could be measured) but the aerodynamic difference between the standard and AMG styling is nil, unless the AMG skirts are worse. :naughty:

The point in AMG styling package side skirts is the looks, that is the styling, not really aerodynamics. The same with the rear bumper, mostly the same with the front bumper too but there is likely a small advantage against the compromise on ground clearance.

C300Sport 07-06-2009 03:28 PM

Since the flaps are placed in the turbulent area behind the wheels, it is hard to say what effect they may have in aerodynamics. It is even possible they could improve airflow...
Either way, I would be one of the first in line to buy the flaps as I hate having the sides of the car splattered with road grime so quickly after a wash...maybe even quicker than the speed of the break dust build up...:rolleyes:

Diesel Benz 07-06-2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by C300Sport (Post 3608892)
Either way, I would be one of the first in line to buy the flaps as I hate having the sides of the car splattered with road grime so quickly after a wash...maybe even quicker than the speed of the break dust build up...:rolleyes:

I've almost always had front flaps. Now I've been too lazy and haven't yet installed those on the 212 or the 204 but will do it sometime soon. Already have those on the 221 (those are painted to the body colour, the 221 flaps are a bit different and are supposed to be painted, others can be used as such).

But the protection from dirt is not as strong as one might expect. I'm using flaps more to protect the paint at the side of the car (from dirt or even sand thrown by the front wheel).

Would I make a fortune if I bought flaps from my MB dealer and posted to the US? No, it cannot be true, why would it be different this time...

jstaneff 07-06-2009 05:04 PM

Mud flaps are one of those things I consider "minimal" for a car. Others include a sun/moon roof, floor mats, bucket seats, and etc.

The C has made me rethink some of this:
- the sport didn't have mud flaps available (my earlier post is an attempt to wonder why)
- even with floor mats, the car is noisy, passing road noise right into the passenger compartment. Sure it's quieter than most cars, but ...

I've noticed in the C that where most cars get quieter when you close the inner screen for the sun/moon roof, the C stays the same whether that's open or closed. Also the road noise seems to be coming from the trunk or rear, which can be explained by the plastic tub in back, or the lack of sound deadening on the inside fender panels. Odd.

So, question: if some think that the side skirts aren't providing any aerodynamic advantages, why are they there? If it's simply for appearance, then that's an exhibit of "throwing away money." Now, I'm not going to just yank them off, but I'd like to know why MB put them there, and I'd like to know that MB isn't vain. Oh well ... :)

98woody 07-07-2009 06:27 AM

Yes it is a sport and has the AMG body side skirting. I am not concerned with aerodynamics, the car has a 3.0 liter engine. Where I live tar is frequent on the roads, but sand is heavy in the winter and easily removed the paint behind the wheel during 1 winter season from any car I have ever owned. Thats why I need flaps. I was considering just going to a local auto store and buying flat cheap flaps. Has anyone installed anything on a 2008 and newer C with the sport package?

Diesel Benz 07-07-2009 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jstaneff (Post 3609064)
So, question: if some think that the side skirts aren't providing any aerodynamic advantages, why are they there? If it's simply for appearance, then that's an exhibit of "throwing away money." Now, I'm not going to just yank them off, but I'd like to know why MB put them there, and I'd like to know that MB isn't vain. Oh well ... :)

The side skirts come for us under the name "AMG appearance package" that is no "AMG performance package" like for the suspension. This is an aesthetics option and I'm sure the reason for no mud flaps as MB OEM accessory is because mud flaps are a bit (if not quite) ugly and MB assumes nobody would first buy an appearance option and next buy something that makes the car more ugly.

C300Sport 07-07-2009 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 98woody (Post 3610013)
Yes it is a sport and has the AMG body side skirting. I am not concerned with aerodynamics, the car has a 3.0 liter engine. Where I live tar is frequent on the roads, but sand is heavy in the winter and easily removed the paint behind the wheel during 1 winter season from any car I have ever owned. Thats why I need flaps. I was considering just going to a local auto store and buying flat cheap flaps. Has anyone installed anything on a 2008 and newer C with the sport package?

I have thought of trying the same thing. Buy some universal flat flaps and cut them down to make a nice clean fit. If you come up with a nice looking little clip of rubber to extend a touch past the side lines of the body work, be sure to post some pics.

98woody 07-07-2009 07:28 PM

will do, I dont care how the flaps look. They will look better than the paint sand blasted off and tar all over the sides. Especially with the C63 AMG wheels and tires, they stick out even more.

hitechautoparts 07-09-2009 01:52 PM

w204 Sport mudflaps

Hi guys...

Finally this problem is over - there are fully tailored C Class Sport mudflaps available. Mercedes would not develop them themselves, so Hitech Autoparts have done it themselves. These mudflaps are fully tailored, and they also color code the part to match your bumper colours. Hitech already supplies Mercedes with genuine mudflaps, such as the CLS, M Class, B Class, SL Class SLK Class and many others.

For prices and colour availability, you will have to email sales@hitechautopartsltd.com. All colour coded parts are painted with Mercedes Genuine Paint.

Fitting is very easy, with complete installation kit and fitting kit.

See the link below. Only launched in July 2009 - there will be a huge advertising campaign for this in Mercedes magasins soon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MERCEDES-TAI...7161239&sr=8-1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250461279986

Any feedback is much appreciated!!!

C300Sport 07-09-2009 02:00 PM

Thank You Hitech. Do you have full side view pics?

Ron Jr 07-09-2009 03:14 PM

Bit pricey after conversion they are around $164.00 plus whatever shipping comes to.

ronjack 07-10-2009 12:17 AM

Thanks Hitech I've been waiting patiently for a company to take the initietive to do what MB should have done from the beginning. Just bought a set for my Sport and can't wait to get them painted and fitted.

sameer13 07-10-2009 03:07 PM

I am not sold on these yet, I need to see more pics.

sameer13 07-10-2009 03:14 PM

Maybe the price will drop, I don't understand why it's priced so high when the regular ones cost half that.

98woody 07-11-2009 06:18 AM

these are the only ones out there. They quoted me $350 for 4 shipped and painted silver. Thats higher than I thought.

C300Sport 07-11-2009 08:42 AM

It's funny how my interest with flaps dropped when I saw the pricing. A bit steep even for OEM pricing...I expect the pricing to drop a bit as it will likely keep sales down.

98woody 07-14-2009 06:11 AM

Is this the only company that makes them?

Diesel Benz 07-14-2009 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by hitechautoparts (Post 3614200)
Hi guys...

Finally this problem is over - there are fully tailored C Class Sport mudflaps available. Mercedes would not develop them themselves, so Hitech Autoparts have done it themselves. These mudflaps are fully tailored, and they also color code the part to match your bumper colours. Hitech already supplies Mercedes with genuine mudflaps, such as the CLS, M Class, B Class, SL Class SLK Class and many others.

For prices and colour availability, you will have to email sales@hitechautopartsltd.com. All colour coded parts are painted with Mercedes Genuine Paint.

Fitting is very easy, with complete installation kit and fitting kit.

See the link below. Only launched in July 2009 - there will be a huge advertising campaign for this in Mercedes magasins soon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MERCEDES-TAI...7161239&sr=8-1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250461279986

Any feedback is much appreciated!!!

The OEM flaps for the W204 are less than €50 a pair, I just bought a pair. These are not painted, I'm not going to paint them but install as they are (this is the way they are intended to be installed, I guess it would be possible to have them painted too).

98woody 07-15-2009 06:20 AM

post a couple pictures when you get them on please. I am looking for better pics than they have on their site. Thanks.