MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   In the market looking for another car!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/309278-market-looking-another-car.html)

Patel511 07-25-2009 01:32 PM

In the market looking for another car!!

I currently own a W164 ML350, and am in the market for a new car...

I have three choices:
The G37S, C350, or the 2010 evo x.

I had the C300 as a loaner for two days and I loved the refinement and the agileness of the car but was disappointed by the lack of power.

I'm so confused, or I can wait til next year and buy a more expensive car that being the GT-R. This option is just a possibility.

As far as the other three I am severely confused....:nix::confused:

Reed19x 07-25-2009 02:07 PM

What you've chosen for your list are 4 very different machines....

Having owned both the G37S and the C300 here's my 2 cents:

1) The G37S: is a phenomenal sedan; but it IS a sports sedan. The ride is rather harsh (IMO, this is debatable), but what you get in return is a quick 4 door car with awesome pick-up and tight cornering.
PROS: Fast car, fantastic interior, lots and lots of options, solid Japanese quality, and the Infiniti Owner Experience is pretty nice as well.
CONS: A bit pricey, soft paint, not much of a head-turner (this may not matter to you) notorious squeaks and rattles on the inside.

2) Mercedes C350: My personal favorite right now (obviously owning a C300:naughty:). Some deem the 350 as an unnecessary upgrade, but to each his own. The C Class is more refined than the G37S, nice ride and much more comfortable.
PROS: Classy, head turner (if you're into that), nice ride, comfortable, stunning looks, Mercedes history (big one for me).
CONS: Pricey, things can be expensive to fix/maintain...hm, that's it.

3) EVO X: Different car than the other two. Yeah it's a sedan, but personally when I see one it looks like something straight out of a video game. If you haven't outgrown your "boy-racer" phase then this is definitely the car for you! Awesome sedan, 4WD FTW, modding potential, the works!
PROS: 4WD, fast, easy to modify, not terribly expensive.
CONS: Ricey looks (again, this is just my opinion), it's a Mitsubishi, not very luxurious, harsh ride, may not get taken seriously when pulling up at a business function, court case, meeting with a client (whatever you've got going on in your professional life)

4) Nissan GT-R: This car is entirely different than the other three. Huge amounts of horsepower, a coupe, well...we all know the rest.
PROS: Fast! Rare! Modding potential, fun to work on and take to the track. Commands serious respect (albeit in a different way than the G and C)
CONS: Expensive, high insurance, not many out there (people may be more likely to key it out of animosity). Pricey to maintain/get parts for etc.

At the end of the day, the G37 is still a Nissan (I owned one and still am an avid fan of the Nissan brand), but a great sedan either way. And from personal sources, Nissan isn't doing too well financially. If you want some more info PM me for a great G37 forum. What this means for the GT-R who knows? Mercedes has the historical/nostalgic factor working for it. They seem to have worked out almost all of their bugs since the Chrysler days and are slowly starting to rebuild their rep for producing "tank-like" cars again. And the EVO...well I can't advise you there, that one's a personal decision.

Here's my ranking for you:
1) G37S
2) Mercedes C350
3) Nissan GT-R
4) EVO X

This may have only confused you more and I know it was long winded, hope I've helped at least a little bit haha. Decision making is never easy, especially when it comes to cars. Good luck with your purchase!:zoom:

joshg1001 07-25-2009 02:23 PM

I cant cant over the goofy headlights and front end of the G, nor the too plain rear of the car. And the navigation controls are just too not 21st century.

The nissan is just in another league overall, so it really cant be compared to the other cars on the list. That goes the same for the Evo which is really for kids who are younger than 25.

If you get a C350, the power thing would be addressed. However, you can wait a year or two to see if MB will offer the 300hp engine during the midcycle redesign. The C is the best compromise for comfort and sport from the cars you listed above

Patel511 07-25-2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Reed19x (Post 3638786)
What you've chosen for your list are 4 very different machines....

Having owned both the G37S and the C300 here's my 2 cents:

1) The G37S: is a phenomenal sedan; but it IS a sports sedan. The ride is rather harsh (IMO, this is debatable), but what you get in return is a quick 4 door car with awesome pick-up and tight cornering.
PROS: Fast car, fantastic interior, lots and lots of options, solid Japanese quality, and the Infiniti Owner Experience is pretty nice as well.
CONS: A bit pricey, soft paint, not much of a head-turner (this may not matter to you) notorious squeaks and rattles on the inside.

2) Mercedes C350: My personal favorite right now (obviously owning a C300:naughty:). Some deem the 350 as an unnecessary upgrade, but to each his own. The C Class is more refined than the G37S, nice ride and much more comfortable.
PROS: Classy, head turner (if you're into that), nice ride, comfortable, stunning looks, Mercedes history (big one for me).
CONS: Pricey, things can be expensive to fix/maintain...hm, that's it.

3) EVO X: Different car than the other two. Yeah it's a sedan, but personally when I see one it looks like something straight out of a video game. If you haven't outgrown your "boy-racer" phase then this is definitely the car for you! Awesome sedan, 4WD FTW, modding potential, the works!
PROS: 4WD, fast, easy to modify, not terribly expensive.
CONS: Ricey looks (again, this is just my opinion), it's a Mitsubishi, not very luxurious, harsh ride, may not get taken seriously when pulling up at a business function, court case, meeting with a client (whatever you've got going on in your professional life)

4) Nissan GT-R: This car is entirely different than the other three. Huge amounts of horsepower, a coupe, well...we all know the rest.
PROS: Fast! Rare! Modding potential, fun to work on and take to the track. Commands serious respect (albeit in a different way than the G and C)
CONS: Expensive, high insurance, not many out there (people may be more likely to key it out of animosity). Pricey to maintain/get parts for etc.

At the end of the day, the G37 is still a Nissan (I owned one and still am an avid fan of the Nissan brand), but a great sedan either way. And from personal sources, Nissan isn't doing too well financially. If you want some more info PM me for a great G37 forum. What this means for the GT-R who knows? Mercedes has the historical/nostalgic factor working for it. They seem to have worked out almost all of their bugs since the Chrysler days and are slowly starting to rebuild their rep for producing "tank-like" cars again. And the EVO...well I can't advise you there, that one's a personal decision.

Here's my ranking for you:
1) G37S
2) Mercedes C350
3) Nissan GT-R
4) EVO X

This may have only confused you more and I know it was long winded, hope I've helped at least a little bit haha. Decision making is never easy, especially when it comes to cars. Good luck with your purchase!:zoom:

Well if I get a G it'll be a coupe. And my number one choice is the GTR but its expensive. To help this situation I can tell u guys that I'm 20 and that I commute 25 miles to college. I loved the evo since I was a kid but i don't know if it's a good DD. C350 and G are rear wheel drive sux for snow but I guess I can use the ML. Tuition is paid for so I'm not worried about that. So I want as car cuz my younger bro is getting his license(YIKES) so we need another and I gotta choose one b4 class starts again... or share with the fam til next year.

Patel511 07-25-2009 04:33 PM

Do u guys know when they'll do the midcycle redesign?

CEB 07-25-2009 07:06 PM

Like another poster said....

...you're kind of all over the map here - but that's OK as I'm having the same issues now.

I've been needing to buy a new car since March and had narrowed my choices down to:

Audi A4
BMW 328ix
G37x
C300 4matic

Having owned an Audi S6 a few years back I know that I'd love the car but the dealership experience was less than stellar (I won't buy an Audi until they get their dealer network in line with the current century.)

I got close to the G37 but found a few things annoying. While very sporty and a pleasure to drive, it felt a bit noisy over bumps - more of a "metal on metal" crunch than the BMW/MB solid thunk that feels and sounds like there is rubber between the metal pieces that just crashed together. Then there is the crazy maintenance schedule. You can get oil changes at 7500 miles - or at 3750. If at 3750, then you can elect if you want to change the tranny fluid at 37k miles - or not.

I actually found the nav system quite nice with the traffic well integrated. The nav also includes a very nice backup camera. Comfy seats. Tight back seat.

The BMW is a nice car. Huge turning circle if you get the AWD (38.7ft vs 35.5 for the Benz and 36.1 for the G37) but a nice warranty with included maintenance. The only car where you can extend both the warranty and the maintenance to 100k miles directly from the manufacturer for a reasonable cost. The standard front seats aren't very comfortable. Feels like it has more power than the C (but doesn't)

The C seems solid - worst nav of the others and no traffic (Audi has no traffic until you get the 2010) Nice seats but where are the cars with leather? You can't sell a C in Europe with MB-Taxi (sorry, MB-Tex) - either cloth or leather (or a combination)

The C is probably the most comfortable of the lot. This (along with the Audi) is the long distance driver.

Me? I'm still debating between the C and the 328 - the Audi and the G37 are out of the running...

Henry<3Benz 07-25-2009 07:18 PM

I'm still contemplating whether to get the Audi A4 or the C300. Hard decision.

pg2373 07-26-2009 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Henry<3Benz (Post 3639120)
I'm still contemplating whether to get the Audi A4 or the C300. Hard decision.

I am in the same boat. I am deciding between the A4 and 335i. The A4 is way cheaper (Premium Plus model) and has the quattro. I like the quickness and agillity of the 335i but in order to get it w/ the XDrive it will be over $50k. Decisions decisions:nix:

Patel511 07-26-2009 03:02 AM

I really don't like the A4 except the leds in the front.. hahaha. I love the 335 but I can get the G much cheaper and with mods they'll be pretty close. The C is so attractive, when I had the loaner from MB (C300) I went to the grocery store and parked it far from the store so nothing would happen to it and when i came out there was a 335 sedan next to it... I laughed and left...

yooker 07-26-2009 04:30 AM

335i 6spd

CrAZyVeGAsBoY 07-27-2009 06:28 PM

Tt depends on what ur looking for, the G and the C are more on the luxury end, the evo is stright up race/rally type of car, if ur looking for just a good point a to b car then go G or the C but if ur gonna mod ur car and possibly race on tracks and stuff then go evo but sounds more to me like u just need a point a to b car so go with the G or C, since ur young and want more power go with the G, and if u can somehow buy a GT-R well then i would get that that but thats only if u got 100k to spare which a 20 year old probably dosent have, unless someone else is paying for it.

tanktube67 07-27-2009 06:50 PM

If you are considering the Nissan GT-R there is no more to talk about wait until next year and get the GT-R

CrAZyVeGAsBoY 07-27-2009 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by tanktube67 (Post 3642063)
If you are considering the Nissan GT-R there is no more to talk about wait until next year and get the GT-R

+1 but i think if that was really the case we wouldnt even be having this conversation.

aowhaus 07-28-2009 01:08 AM

I'm surprised you didn't mention the BMW 335i.
Though the interior is rather boring and dated looking and you see the 3-series everywhere, it does offer excellent performance and handling.

Patel511 07-28-2009 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by CrAZyVeGAsBoY (Post 3642442)
+1 but i think if that was really the case we wouldnt even be having this conversation.

Well my dad would pay half and I'd pay half, that would be my 21st b-day gift.

rh71 07-28-2009 07:36 AM

You've read about the high maintenance costs of the GT-R yes?

Anyway, with all things considered, I see a G37s in your future.

BenTrovato 07-28-2009 10:40 AM

Here's something that helped me out because I was considering the exact same cars and I think anyone buying these cars considers all of them. You gotta go test drive them all and see which one feels the best for you specifically.

Before I test drove them I thought I would be getting the A4 for sure and it was the 1st one I test drove and I loved it. Then I went with the G37 and I hated it, it did not feel like me at all. The BMW blew the Audi out of the water. The Audi's 3.2 was amazing, but the 2.0 just felt sluggish and less solid. The BMW felt precise and powerful. When I got in the Benz, I wasn't blown away by the interior which is usually very important to me but the car felt amazing. It felt like I was stepping into something special and driving down the road felt like a privilege. I was torn because I loved how great the BMW felt while driving but it didn't give me the same satisfaction of the C - and I've hated C classes my entire life.

So just put everything you know aside, drive them all and pick the one that makes you happiest. In my opinion, none of these 4 cars are better than the other, they each have their strong and weak points, you just need to choose which one resonates with you more than the others.