C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

!!! Hit & Run Damage !!! Should I pay out of pocket or use my insurance? (see pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by whiteongrey
Totally sucks. Will need new trunk lid.

Barbers Auto Recycling USA-AL(Ardmore) 1-800-632-2091 has a white one - should be able to get is for $500 max (possibly with shipping) and bolt right on.

For tail light check out car-part.com - does not say if LED but selling for $100-$200

I would not run through ins for $800.
thanks for the research, i appreciate it... since my deductible is $300 and esurance said my rates wont go up because it was a not at fault situation, i believe now i should put it through though cus it makes more sense financially
Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Good to hear. Since your insurance company is paying for it and not increasing your premium, then I would always have the Mercedes dealership replace the trunk and move the vin plate. I'm not sure if it's the same in the US, but here the insurance company cannot decline if you want the dealership to do the repair work.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Alright, so here is an update on the status after I got 3 different estimates:

Shop 1 - Took it to the "E-star" approved shop the claim person recommended. I guess I had to take it here so one of their approved Esurance appraisers could give their opinion??? Either that or they would send one of their guys to my house to take a look? Anyway, this estimate came in at around $1100 give or take. This particular shop believes they can pop the dent out and repaint the existing trunk to look factory new. They say they can also tweak the left margin of the trunk edge where it seals when it closes to line back up properly so the line when closing is symmetric all the way accross. Right now after closer examination, it was found that on the left side where the dent is, the trunk closes at the seal a cm or 2 on the left than on the right... Definitely noticable when looking at it square on from 6-8 feet away...

Shop 2 - Took it to a local independent shop that came highly recommended from a friend. They said because of the seal line being off and the awkward kink in the dent, the best way to make it look like it did before the incident would be to replace the whole lid. With the associated labor and replacing the left tail, this estimate came out to be about $2200.

Shop 3 - Took it to my closest Mercedes dealership's repair center. They said basically the same thing as shop two... basically not worth the risk of trying to fiddle with the existing trunk and then not getting it perfect and then having to end up getting a new trunk lid anyway in the end if they can't get it right. Estimate came in right around the same as Shop 2.

So basically after these 3 estimates, I feel as though the "approved" shop is just trying to give me some crap estimate that will save esurance money but may not necessarily get the job done the best way.... Since the method of repair and estimates vary accordingly by a significant amount, is it pretty guaranteed that Esurance will throw their foot down and only approve repairing the trunk instead of replacing it since that is what their estimator said to do?

If I chose to take it to a shop that will do it right and replace the lid with a new part, will insurance most likely only give me the amount that they approved on the estimate to repair only???

I have a feeling this is going to be a battle to get this thing done right the first time
Old 08-28-2009, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Often by going to insurance approved shops, the body shop would do bare minimum because insurance normally pays that shop a predescribed amount.

You're better off going to shop 2 or 3 and get it done properly and then having E-surance pay the bill after your deductible.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by imboom
Often by going to insurance approved shops, the body shop would do bare minimum because insurance normally pays that shop a predescribed amount.

You're better off going to shop 2 or 3 and get it done properly and then having E-surance pay the bill after your deductible.
cool i hope that is the case... so they have to pay for the whole amount of the shop i choose, or can they pay only the amount up to what their shop wrote in the esitmate, and anything more i pay out of pocket? thats what im worried about....( first time i have ever made a claim so i am unsure of normal operating procedures)
Old 08-28-2009, 03:45 AM

W204/W220
I'm not sure how your insurance works, but in Canada for Hit and Run damage. We pay 300 bucks (fixed price). The rest of the amount the insurance company pays (labor..etc.). The amount is determined by the repair shop we choose.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 AM

\
Take it to the dealership and ask them, they will know. Insurance companies can't force you to use their "approved" shops, they can only inspect the damage and approve or deny the type of repair. If you pit the dealership against them they will not deny the claim, because in court, the manufacturer is the highest legal expert on your vehicle. Even still it would be the insurance company vs the dealership in court and you can walk away from the problem without the headache.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:46 AM

\
Also if you really hate your insurance company, you can get an estimate from the dealership and make the insurance company cut you a check for that amount minus deductible. Then you can shop cash in hand at other reputable places and see how much you can get it fixed for, when they don't have to deal with insurance they typically lower their prices because the insurance company is entirely staffed by jerks and you will probably find another dealership that will do it for the full amount of the check. I think this is criminal on the dealership's part if they are the same one who wrote the estimate, so don't bother trying it there.

Last edited by Peabody; 08-28-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-28-2009, 03:28 PM

01 S4 6spd-Eurotuner mar.05, 08 c300 6spd, P1-MM- 18`s, 2010 Cayenne GTS 6spd, 98 5.9 Jeep
Collision Shop...

Hello After reading some replys I would be able to offer some advice not sure changing the trunk is the best choice...

I am one of the owners of Rojo Collision in New York I do direct repair work for Gieco Proggressive Allstate USAA and a few others. As well customer work, custom work and I happen to own a C300

Feel free to give me a call 1-718-649-2704 ask for Jim

www.rojocollision.com
Old 08-28-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 01S408C300
Hello After reading some replys I would be able to offer some advice not sure changing the trunk is the best choice...

I am one of the owners of Rojo Collision in New York I do direct repair work for Gieco Proggressive Allstate USAA and a few others. As well customer work, custom work and I happen to own a C300

Feel free to give me a call 1-718-649-2704 ask for Jim

www.rojocollision.com
why do you think in would not be the best choice to replace the trunk???
Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 PM

01 S4 6spd-Eurotuner mar.05, 08 c300 6spd, P1-MM- 18`s, 2010 Cayenne GTS 6spd, 98 5.9 Jeep
Just alot to type give me a call if possible... thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM

2008 c300 [] 1969 Chevelle SS [] 2010 Camaro
Just had the same thing happen to me last week I came out of a movie theater to find my rear quarter panel scratched and dented. I filed an Uninsured Motorist Claim with Allstate and they're taking care of it for $250. Claims agent said that it "might" show up on a carfax report, and that it depends on if the repair work is reported by the body shop. According to the agent, some body shops don't report minor damages. It's a lousy situation, but **** happens. Just wanted to share.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 PM

2008 C 300 sport
[I]Call your insurance company and ask them how much your deductable will cover. For example, mine is 500 deductable and they cover up to 750. If it's more than 750 my premium will go up about 200 every 6 months. This point will stay on your insurance company for 3 years. 400 a year, times 3 = 1200 plus the 500 deductable which is 1750. So in my case if it cost between 750-1750 then I would pay cash. If it's between 500-750 pay insurance. If it's under 500 cash. If more than 1750 insurance. Hope you understand my logic. I think it makes sense...well at least to me it did/I]

Jae Duk, great advice...as far as other members paying +/- $400 insurance thats not your full total for 6months or a year...it has to be just for coll or comp am I right. I'm just asking cause I live in NYC & I pay $3000 a year to geico. I will however explain that I am 35 but have not had insurance or owned a car in about 10 years, (traveling & when in NYC take subway to work) so the insurance company, I guess is treating me like a fresh 18yr old driver...lol

rb 23lb so sorry to get off the topic, but I feel bad for you & wish everything on your car gets fixed, but these insurance prices got me interested...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:48 PM

2008 C 300 sport
Also I need some help with this one, how does everyone shade a part or the whole comment from someone & add it to their reply, please help with this newbie & can't figure it out...lol as you can see I tried to do it with Jae Duk's comment with no luck. Thank you Duck.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Smile

RB23LB:

If you're not nuts by know with all this differente "advise", it should get close.

From what I read, I believe my thought that the trunk lid is open (black spot on photo) is just a kink. If there is a whole, stay away from Bondo and replace the lid.

You are in CA, the best protection a consumer can have is there, in California. Don't take crap from anyone and push for your right to choose the place to do the work. Now, it is true that when you do so you take the responsibility to follow thru and fight for the results with the shop if their work is not up to par.

The fact that you do not replace the lid would not necessarily mean that the job will not be done well. Only make sure that no fillers (Bondo) are used.

If there is something promised to you it's only good if it is done in writing, e.g. on the estimate.

After all is well and done, change the Insurance Company.

Happy Holidays!!!

JV