MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Seatbelt rattles - fix? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/315346-seatbelt-rattles-fix.html)

S204HONGKONG 09-05-2009 02:00 PM

Seatbelt rattles - fix?

Anyone know exactly how to eliminate the squeaks and rattles around the seat belt area / B-pillar? I have searched the threads here and someone has got the cure back at the stealer by installing felt.

I am from Hong Kong, and the local (monopoly) MB dealer service centre has no idea how to cure the rattles.

(Guess my 18inch AMGs and sport suspension don't really help with the issue at all)

If someone has some kind of TSB from MB on how to fix the rattles, that would be perfect! I can show the clueless local MB dealer how to fix my car

Glyn M Ruck 09-05-2009 09:40 PM

The W204 has the same seatbelt arrangement as the W203. Ask the dealer to look up the following bulletin for the fix

Wed, Nov 22, 2006 Tue, Nov 7, 2006 P-91-40-127 Restraints - Noise From The Front Seat Belts

albert101 09-05-2009 10:40 PM

Great info! Thanks! I have the same problem also. :)

nyca 09-05-2009 11:13 PM

What does the noise sound like?

Sportstick 09-06-2009 09:03 AM

If its the same one I have been chasing, its a small creak just about next to the driver's left ear. I've driven while applying pressure to the trailing edge of door trim panel, top of b-pillar garnish, and I can't find it or reduce/alter it. If this is the solution, :bow::bow::bow:

S204HONGKONG 09-09-2009 01:14 PM

thanks, I will ask the local Hong Kong dealer about this. It's a very small creaking noise from the B-pillar that not everyone can hear. My hearing is super-sensitive and it really bothers me. Some MB techs can hear it, while most others who tested my car don't.

S204HONGKONG 09-09-2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 3702345)
The W204 has the same seatbelt arrangement as the W203. Ask the dealer to look up the following bulletin for the fix

Wed, Nov 22, 2006 Tue, Nov 7, 2006 P-91-40-127 Restraints - Noise From The Front Seat Belts

Could you possibly post it here? I am not sure if the local Hong Kong stealer's service centre has access to the American tech bulletins..... thanks in advance! :bow:

Kieffer 09-09-2009 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick (Post 3702692)
If its the same one I have been chasing, its a small creak just about next to the driver's left ear. I've driven while applying pressure to the trailing edge of door trim panel, top of b-pillar garnish, and I can't find it or reduce/alter it. If this is the solution, :bow::bow::bow:

If it's not the solution, you may have the weird window-glass / door frame rattle I had almost one year ago. It drove me insane and got louder as it got colder outside. They ended up replacing the window-guide seals on each door. It sounded just like it was coming from the upper corner of the door, between the seatbelt and my ear. So if the seat belt fix doesn't do it, let me know and I'll dig out the repair order / receipt so you can know exactly what parts they replaced.

S204HONGKONG 09-09-2009 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 3707635)
If it's not the solution, you may have the weird window-glass / door frame rattle I had almost one year ago. It drove me insane and got louder as it got colder outside. They ended up replacing the window-guide seals on each door. It sounded just like it was coming from the upper corner of the door, between the seatbelt and my ear. So if the seat belt fix doesn't do it, let me know and I'll dig out the repair order / receipt so you can know exactly what parts they replaced.

please do that! Thanks! :bow::bow:

Sportstick 09-09-2009 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by S204HONGKONG (Post 3707616)
thanks, I will ask the local Hong Kong dealer about this. It's a very small creaking noise from the B-pillar that not everyone can hear. My hearing is super-sensitive and it really bothers me. Some MB techs can hear it, while most others who tested my car don't.

I would describe mine as the same. Not really a rattle...just some creaky sounds on rough roads. Hard to tell if its at the seatbelt turning loop or the rear edge of the door.

Glyn M Ruck 09-09-2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by S204HONGKONG (Post 3707618)
Could you possibly post it here? I am not sure if the local Hong Kong stealer's service centre has access to the American tech bulletins..... thanks in advance! :bow:

On the 203 forum we only have the list of bulletins, not the bulletins themselves. Maybe a US member could ask a US dealer.

ayilar 07-14-2010 10:45 AM

I have the same issue. Could you possibly post a list of the parts needed and the wort that was performed? Many thanks in advance!

albert101 07-14-2010 08:47 PM

I have the same issues. I took it to the dealer. They said there were two places causing creaks. One was the black plastic trim on your door that goes around your window. It connects to your front door tweeter speaker and goes all the way back. This flexes and causes a creaking or popping sound. Second is the B pillar itself. The clips eventually loosen up and cause the B pillar cover to move around. This causes the creaking.

My dealer said they installed felt cover up the areas that rub. They did both my driver and passenger side. The driver side seems to be quiet already but the passenger side still makes the creaking and popping sounds. I will take it back to the dealer sometime soon to get the other side fixed.

I'm also getting a popping and ticking sound coming from the rear parcel shelf of the car as well as a creaking coming from the center armrest area? Does anyone else have the same problem?

albert101 07-14-2010 08:48 PM

Could I follow up on that and ask if you could give us more information on this fix of yours? Thanks!