C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Rolling Fenders?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ccoupe
Rolling Fenders?

I have a lease does anybody know or think that this will void the warranty or that the lease would even notice? Thanks in advanced
Old 12-05-2009, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic
my common sense - "no... no don't do that."

but then again it all depends on how hard they check/inspect the car when you return it... dunno the process.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
Usually they just walk around the car to look for scratches and stuff. After that they check it off. Once you turn the car in and they check it off and don't catch it you're free...because in your defesne you can say "I didn't do that, you probably did it"
If you want to play it safe, maybe go to a different dealer for service so the dealer you go to to return the car won't "know" But I think you are asking the wrong question. I think the question should be how much are they going to charge you if they notice. Everyone has a price and what's your price in determining if it's worth it to roll the fenders.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Do NOT roll the fenders on a lease.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' CLS550
I don't see what the big deal is.. Your not lowering the value bof the car.. Your not adding or taking away parts, and its not that noticable.. Idk just my opinion
Originally Posted by Peabody
Do NOT roll the fenders on a lease.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:10 AM

\
Originally Posted by bigigg
I don't see what the big deal is.. Your not lowering the value bof the car.. Your not adding or taking away parts, and its not that noticable.. Idk just my opinion
Because with stock wheels on it, it will be noticable.. and the lease isn't about modifying to add/decrease the value of the car.. it's called restoring it to the manufacturer's specs. You might personally like the look of rolled fenders, you might need them to fit your 20" rims.. but the dealership has to sell that car after you're done ****ing with it.. and they will make more money by replacing all the fenders and restoring all the body work, and then charging you for it.. under the terms of your contract.. then selling the car for the same price fenders rolled or not rolled. When inspecting a car for damage you'd be surprised on how subtle changes the dealership can notice. When I hit a bird with my Peugeot, they noticed an indistinguishable change in the upper curve of my fender. The seam didn't change, but the panel arched just a little bit more than it should, and they were quick to turn that into an extra $1,200 in body work.

EDIT: I've never leased a car, but to my understanding you're supposed to return it in the same condition it was delivered minus an allotment in mileage.. but hey, talk to the dealership and ask them if you can do it.. and get their permission in writing.. otherwise you open yourself up to quite an expensive liability.

Last edited by Peabody; 12-05-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 AM

2009 c63
As long as there is no cracking on the outside of the fender, I can't imagine that the inspector would find this. The outward difference is imperceptible.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
E63S || C63 || E550 Coupe || Cayenne ||
As far as I know from my dealer..as long as you're leasing another MB, they don't care.. When we finished leasing our CLK the 3rd brake lights by the trunk was cracked and broken but they didn't care about it..as long as we continued with another MB for lease
Old 12-05-2009, 03:35 PM

ccoupe
I dont think its such a big deal because they are modding the inside liner more than the actual fender itself. The guy at eurostopusa.com said that the lease people wouldnt notice at all. My problem is more rubbing in the front and back of the actual fender liner where the wheel sits
Old 12-05-2009, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
Originally Posted by Peabody
Because with stock wheels on it, it will be noticable.. and the lease isn't about modifying to add/decrease the value of the car.. it's called restoring it to the manufacturer's specs. You might personally like the look of rolled fenders, you might need them to fit your 20" rims.. but the dealership has to sell that car after you're done ****ing with it.. and they will make more money by replacing all the fenders and restoring all the body work, and then charging you for it.. under the terms of your contract.. then selling the car for the same price fenders rolled or not rolled. When inspecting a car for damage you'd be surprised on how subtle changes the dealership can notice. When I hit a bird with my Peugeot, they noticed an indistinguishable change in the upper curve of my fender. The seam didn't change, but the panel arched just a little bit more than it should, and they were quick to turn that into an extra $1,200 in body work.

EDIT: I've never leased a car, but to my understanding you're supposed to return it in the same condition it was delivered minus an allotment in mileage.. but hey, talk to the dealership and ask them if you can do it.. and get their permission in writing.. otherwise you open yourself up to quite an expensive liability.
i agree with you.. just really dont think rolled fenders would be a problem, aslong as there isnt paint damage or the fenders arent dented or waivy..
Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 PM

\
If you're leasing a new one then they probably wouldn't break your ***** over it.. because that's good for business. The only way to take the mystery out of what your liability would be when you turn it in is to ask the dealership. Don't just do it because you think you can get away with and then have no liability. You are liable for the repair if the dealership wants it, and they should be competent enough to notice the difference.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 PM

\
I will also agree that some trade-in inspections are a joke. My last car I turned in and they did a 3 minute inspection that my engine wasn't on fire, it had 4 tires, and no holes in the body panels.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
The fenders are plastic - cannot be rolled, and doubtful that heat will make them pliable.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
I just say do it, if you couldn't afford the car at the end of your lease then you'll know you have made a mistake.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by whiteongrey
The fenders are plastic - cannot be rolled, and doubtful that heat will make them pliable.
Pretty sure they can be rolled using heat gun, but not totally sure.

It is a risk on a lease...but! as has been said, if it isn't terribly noticeable, chances are the inspector won't catch it until you've strolled out the door, a risk is still a risk. When I turned in my G37, I had slightly curbed wheels (2), no badges and interior light bulb swaps and they docked me somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000.