MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   No refund on extended warranty..even I've only owned the car for 1 yr? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/338616-no-refund-extended-warranty-even-ive-only-owned-car-1-yr.html)

Eiso 02-16-2010 08:47 PM

No refund on extended warranty..even I've only owned the car for 1 yr?

My uncle purchased an extended warranty when he got his C300 last year. The original warranty is not over yet...and now he decided to sell the car but he wants to take out the extended warranty and get back that few thousands dollars. He went to the dealer and the dealer said there is no way he can get a refund for that. What??? :confused:

wanchu83 02-16-2010 09:21 PM

I think the warrnaty is transferable if you purchase or own different mercedes car.
I don't know if it is transferable person-to-person tho.

Eiso 02-16-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by wanchu83 (Post 3942708)
I think the warrnaty is transferable if you purchase or own different mercedes car.
I don't know if it is transferable person-to-person tho.

Well he just doesnt need it anymore since he is selling it...he wants the money back...not sure if its ok. I know some other brands do that.

C300Sport 02-16-2010 10:17 PM

You will really just need to read the fine print on the contract to see how they handle these types of situations.

Illusive 02-16-2010 10:27 PM

I'm pretty sure the extended warranty cannot be refunded. It should however be able to be transferred to the new owner when the vehicle is sold.

RLE 02-16-2010 11:52 PM

Refund

Originally Posted by Eiso (Post 3942666)
My uncle purchased an extended warranty when he got his C300 last year. The original warranty is not over yet...and now he decided to sell the car but he wants to take out the extended warranty and get back that few thousands dollars. He went to the dealer and the dealer said there is no way he can get a refund for that. What??? :confused:

Things must have changed because when I traded in my C320 on the C300 with two years of extended warranty remaining, I was refunded 50% of the cost with no fees or prorating. This was the MB warranty purchased from the dealer in my 4th year of ownership.

The answer will be found in the contract as someone pointed out previously.

JimPap 02-17-2010 03:10 AM

There is probably more than one extended warranty that's being sold around the country.

NickCats 02-17-2010 10:32 AM

I agree with checking the contract. My friend sold his ML but before he did the dealer refunded the cost of his extended warranty ( since it was still under the regular factory warranty )

Nick

itcrashed 02-17-2010 12:27 PM

Every contract has it's own "fine print." Nobody here can tell you how your particular contract handles transfers or cancellations.

BenTrovato 02-17-2010 12:38 PM

You can amend the terms to the contract at any point however for simplicities sake, when purchasing the extended warranty you can put a clause in there to receive a certain portion back if you no longer have possession of the car by a certain date.

chokaay 02-17-2010 01:03 PM

Did your uncle purchase a GENUINE Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty? Or one of the many 3rd-party warranties that MB Dealerships sell?

I know when I bought my GENUINE Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty for my BRAND NEW (not CPO) vehicle, I have the option to cancel and get a full refund if I choose to do so before my MB Factory Warranty expires (one of the "perks" for purchasing GENUINE MB Warranties). It may be different for GENUINE Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranties for CPO vehicles.

And I definitely know it's different with the 3rd-party warranties that are sold at MB (and other) Dealerships around the country (including the less expensive Chrysler warranties that MB dealerships are offering... even though Daimler-Benz split with Chrysler a while ago).

lauer87 02-17-2010 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by chokaay (Post 3943740)
Did your uncle purchase a GENUINE Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty? Or one of the many 3rd-party warranties that MB Dealerships sell?

I know when I bought my GENUINE Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty for my BRAND NEW (not CPO) vehicle, I have the option to cancel and get a full refund if I choose to do so before my MB Factory Warranty expires (one of the "perks" for purchasing GENUINE MB Warranties). It may be different for GENUINE Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranties for CPO vehicles.

And I definitely know it's different with the 3rd-party warranties that are sold at MB (and other) Dealerships around the country (including the less expensive Chrysler warranties that MB dealerships are offering... even though Daimler-Benz split with Chrysler a while ago).

+1, a genuine MB extended warranty can be refunded at 100% before the extension takes affect. After that I still believe that you can get prorated refunds.

lauer87 02-17-2010 01:54 PM

Have him call MBUSA directly, don't deal with the dealer on this.