MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Cracked driver side mirror - $1066 just for the glass! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/340413-cracked-driver-side-mirror-1066-just-glass.html)

nickm 03-01-2010 10:33 AM

Cracked driver side mirror - $1066 just for the glass!

My driver's side mirror was covered with snow. After it melted a nice crack appeared along the glass mirror. The housing is mint, the mirror was never hit, just the glass somehow cracked.
Called parts for pricing. The autodimming one is $1066 without tax and installation. The one with no autodimming is $160.
Are they serious?
I hope I can take it up with service, otherwise no autodimming for me :eek:

itcrashed 03-01-2010 11:04 AM

Sounds like a warranty claim to me. Might be worth a shot.

Der Panzer 03-01-2010 11:14 AM

I was just about to say that I paid around $140 for mine, bit then I figured out that I must have the regular one. Yes, that is insane.

Also if you do go ahead and buy it, I would suggest DIYing, just take apart housing and glass just snaps in place. On the other hand "snapping" $1000 part in place might be nerve wrecking.

bigben320e 03-01-2010 11:19 AM

I would suggest using on the MB parts websites to get a sensible price on that glass.

I did for my E320, put the mirror on myself, saved quite a bit. It was about 20 minutes work flat to replace.

whiteongrey 03-01-2010 03:01 PM

Sounds like a warranty claim but if they will not honor try car-part.com - saw an auto dim complete assy for $400

E92-Lighting 03-01-2010 03:06 PM

indy shops are the best

RLE 03-03-2010 12:48 AM

Glass cost

Originally Posted by nickm (Post 3962883)
My driver's side mirror was covered with snow. After it melted a nice crack appeared along the glass mirror. The housing is mint, the mirror was never hit, just the glass somehow cracked.
Called parts for pricing. The autodimming one is $1066 without tax and installation. The one with no autodimming is $160.
Are they serious?

What is it about these New York and New Jersey dealers, anyway?

I paid about $700 for a left side mirror glass for my new style mirror (heated and self dimming, as they all are) from my Seattle dealer who marks their parts up over retail. I could have paid less.

Swapping the glass takes 30 seconds with NO mirror disassembly.

nyca 03-03-2010 08:41 PM

For the dimming mirror, I show $561 for the left side, but only $87 for the right side.

For no dimming, I show $118 for the left, $87 for the right.

That dimming glass stinks anyway - unless it and the side window glass is perfectly clean, the headlights from the rear create a halo effect on the side glass because the dimming material doesn't extend to the edge of the mirror housing - it leaves an edge around it, which the reflected light picks up to create the halo if there is any haze at all on the side window.

If mine ever broke, I'd be happy to get rid of it for the regular one - especially at those prices.

bnam 08-30-2010 08:16 PM

Sorry to bring this up again. I'd like to upgrade my outside mirrors to auto-dim.

Can I just replace the glass on the drivers side mirror and get the one with auto-dim? Is the wiring already in place? Or part numbers on the wires?

I have a 2009 sports with no packages. (I've upgraded the inside to autodim -- was plug an play).

Thx!!
BN

TRauppius 08-31-2010 07:40 AM

Comprehensive Insurance Claim? ...

Originally Posted by nickm (Post 3962883)
Are they serious?

The comprehensive portion of your insurance should cover this (less the deductuble, of course). They can consider this storm damage to a non-moving (parked) vehicle. You will have to explain how the damage was caused by "extraordinary", but natural, storm effects, and not just a product defect that would be expected to be covered under the MB warranty.

Good luck.

nickm 08-31-2010 10:01 AM

well

Went to Helms bros. my sevice advisor was great, classified it as stress crack, got a new mirror for free! That's what I call great service:)

dcjwlee 08-31-2010 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by nickm (Post 4227920)
Went to Helms bros. my sevice advisor was great, classified it as stress crack, got a new mirror for free! That's what I call great service:)

Who is your SA? I used Helms Bros as well.

BerBer63 08-31-2010 09:41 PM

Its 430 on parts.com

aowhaus 09-01-2010 09:23 AM

have you checked eBay?

racetested 09-01-2010 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by bnam (Post 4227166)
Sorry to bring this up again. I'd like to upgrade my outside mirrors to auto-dim.

Can I just replace the glass on the drivers side mirror and get the one with auto-dim? Is the wiring already in place? Or part numbers on the wires?

I have a 2009 sports with no packages. (I've upgraded the inside to autodim -- was plug an play).

Thx!!
BN

You may have better luck contacting this company as they specialize in conversions.

http://www.mbenznl.nl